XX1 and XX compatibility

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
That's a little odd considering XO and XX1 are actually the same crank :noidea:
What's odd? The XX1 being cheaper? Maybe because you're not paying for 2X gears.
It would be good if the offered blank cranks then, no spider and no gears.

softek

Likes Dirt
Ah, see i beg to differ. Given my understanding XX1 runs the same 1:1 actuation, i.e. cable pull distance = rear mech movement distance, so when paired with a 10speed 1:1 shifter it should operate identically to 10sp rear mech. Granted there will be minor adjustment with the b-limiter to ensure you dont have jockey wheels knocking on the 11t inner, but theoretically it should be functional!
Thoughts?

In reference to getting a bigger top end gear if i'm spinning out 32t x 11t combination down single track i would be quite content with my speed of 40km/h on a 160mm AM bike! for XC race scenarios, yes agree completely could probably push a 36t front with 10x42 rear!
Can't find anyone that has tested this out or even been able to confirm it YET, even master GOOGLE is unable to help

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Can't find anyone that has tested this out or even been able to confirm it YET, even master GOOGLE is unable to help
"Given my understanding XX1 runs the same 1:1 actuation, i.e. cable pull distance = rear mech movement distance, so when paired with a 10speed 1:1 shifter it should operate identically to 10sp rear mech. Granted there will be minor adjustment with the b-limiter to ensure you dont have jockey wheels knocking on the 11t inner, but theoretically it should be functional! "

cable pull ratio, does not determine compatibility, unless the cassettes are teh same width AND the same number of gears. 11 speed is the same total width but closer together - ie narrower chain. Thus if the deraileur is 1 to 1, then it should be able to be used with sram 10 speed - though its too long and a different design entirely so it shouldnt work too well.

Shifters wont work because the amount of cable they pull is y divided by 11 , not y divided by 10.

so front crankset will work with 10 sp, rear deraileur should kind of work, shifter definately wont work well.

btw, anyone who wants greater than 45kmh offroad, can bloody have it (32/10at 120) - i'm thinking about brakes at that speed, not bloody pedalling

timrob

Likes Dirt
Agree entirely however as you have said it is all in the 'shifter' not the mech, so a 11sp shifter will pull less cable, y/11 for instance than a 10sp.. x/10. however if it is 1:1 ratio then it stands to reason that x/10 cable pull = x/10 rear mech travel!

This is assuming the overall cassette dimensions are the same, and the XX1 is in fact 1:1 ratio, and the 1:1 ratio is an actual engineering fact rather than a marketing 'creation' both equally possible.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
There is a guy on mtbr who says he's running XX1 rear mech and shifters on a 10 speed cassette. He says he has just limited the rear mech to the smallest cog on the cassette and all works ok.

Has anyone actually measured the total height of the XX1 cassette? I get the feeling it must be wider by a few mm.

If what he is claiming is correct there are 3 possible reasons:
1. The xx1 pull ratio is different to other SRAM stuff and 1:1 is just marketing bs.
2. The XX1 cassette is actually wider by 1 gear and the integrity of 1:1 remains.
3. Voodoo!

I just thought of another possible answer. He's talking out his ass and actually rides a scooter.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Agree entirely however as you have said it is all in the 'shifter' not the mech, so a 11sp shifter will pull less cable, y/11 for instance than a 10sp.. x/10. however if it is 1:1 ratio then it stands to reason that x/10 cable pull = x/10 rear mech travel!

This is assuming the overall cassette dimensions are the same, and the XX1 is in fact 1:1 ratio, and the 1:1 ratio is an actual engineering fact rather than a marketing 'creation' both equally possible.
If 1:1 is an engineering fact, then shifter travel & derailleur travel are the same regardless of number of gears or cassette dimension. Where things get different is when the sprocket gaps reduce, eg from 9-sp. to 10-sp, and I'm guessing a further reduction in gap to 11-sp, 'cos it still needs to fit within a limited space. In order to pull the derailleur across a smaller determined gap, the index interval in the shifter reduces accordingly so it pulls less cable between each gear stop. If it is correct from an engineering POV, then any "1:1" derailleur should work, all that need to be gear matched are the cassette & shifter.

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
SRAM 10 speed is marketed as "EXACT ACTUATION" (1:1?) whereas XX1 is marketed as "X ACTUATION".
Is there any evidence of what the pull ratio of XX1 actually is?

Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk

softek

Likes Dirt
There is a guy on mtbr who says he's running XX1 rear mech and shifters on a 10 speed cassette. He says he has just limited the rear mech to the smallest cog on the cassette and all works ok.

Has anyone actually measured the total height of the XX1 cassette? I get the feeling it must be wider by a few mm.

If what he is claiming is correct there are 3 possible reasons:
1. The xx1 pull ratio is different to other SRAM stuff and 1:1 is just marketing bs.
2. The XX1 cassette is actually wider by 1 gear and the integrity of 1:1 remains.
3. Voodoo!

I just thought of another possible answer. He's talking out his ass and actually rides a scooter.
You got the link to the mtbr site ,else I might suspect your just talking out of your ass

softek

Likes Dirt

Guys I can CONFIRM that the SRAM XX1 rear derailleur does not work with the SRAM XX 10sp shifter on a 10spd cassette