Shimano MTB GP Series 2013 - Fast 4h and Furious 7h racing that rocks!

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
The race is postponed....again!

We are very sorry to inform you so late but we simply have no other option than to postpone the race again. Until yesterday the forecast looked like rain on Friday and showers on Saturday but now it looks like it will rain through until Sunday.
We want to give you a fun and safe race and in those conditions it won't be. We are as dissappointed as you are.

The new schedule looks as follows:

Round 1: Awaba, Easter Monday, April 1
Round 2: James Estate, April 20 (no change)
Round 3: Ourimbah, June 15 (as originally planned)
Rounds 4 and 5: no change

All registrations will be automatically transferred to Round 1 but you can opt to change them to Round 2 only - please inform us via email if you want to do that: cycle@rockytrailentertainment.com

NullaTroy

Likes Bikes
Shocking run of weather and really bad luck...

Also.......Let me just me say cudos for the clear and early communication. Many others could learn a lesson here on how to keep people engaged and positive about what's going on. Video of what you're doing to make it happen, tweets and email updates. Again great job !

trailburner

Shocking run of weather and really bad luck...

Also.......Let me just me say cudos for the clear and early communication. Many others could learn a lesson here on how to keep people engaged and positive about what's going on. Video of what you're doing to make it happen, tweets and email updates. Again great job !
Thanks - really appreciate it.

On another note - new record: page 3 on RB and we haven't even f%&$ raced yet :)

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Bummer - but not exactly surprising! Was hoping to use this race as a practice run for the Capital Punishment 100km, but it looks like just another fun ride out instead now!

Guess i'll have to wait to get my jersey as well :)

trailburner

Series update:

We would like to thank everyone for their support and for the many positive emails, phone calls and encouraging messages after we announced that Round 1 of our SHIMANO MTB Grand Prix will be held at Awaba MTB Park on Easter Monday, 1 April. We'll be sure to kick off this awesome racing series in style and with a bang - watch out for those hidden Easter treats!

The remaining series races are as originally planned and Round 2 promises to be not only the inaugural race at James Estate Winary but also a culinary highlight. James Estate is located in the Upper Hunter Valley, about 2 hours West of Newcastle. The race track will be just under 10 km long and feature awesome singletrails through the bushland surrounding the vineyards and offer spectacular views of the Upper Hunter Valley wine country as you make your way back to the event centre, right in front of the cellar door. And here's the kicker: every rider who registers online will be treated to a delicious bottle of James Estate wine - how good is that? For more information about the venue and Round 2, click on the location tab and check out our James Estate MTB Trail photos here from our recent gettaway there.

James Estate Winery, 951 Bylong Valley Way, Baerami NSW
How to get there:
The beautiful vinyards and cellar door of James Estate Wines are located in the Upper Hunter Valley, about 2 hours West of Newcastle. Coming from Newcastle, we recommend that you take the National Route #15 towards Maitland and after Branxton continue on the Golden Highway #84. Go through Jerry Plains and Denman and stay on #84 (Unless you want to come up close with cattle and other creepy crawleys on the side roads the GPS suggests... nice views, but the road is quite windy and small.) Just before Sandy Hollow you turn left onto Bylong Valley Way and soon you'll be driving through the James Estate Gates.

Track - map
Graeme Scott, avid SHIMANO MTB GP racer and General Manager of James Estate has been building singletrails in the bushland next to the winery for the past four years and it is unreal what this one mountain biker, his bike, shovel, reik and trail dog Raz and with the help of a few friends has put together! A network of trails that is fun to race it is built on quite sandy bushland, so we would recommend not going overboard with tire pressure and bringing nobbly tires, if you have them. There are a lot of nice and rocky sections with log roll-overs and the singletrails will lenght-wise be at least half of the race track, time-wise probably more than 2/3 as you will ride from the event centre across fire trails to get to the bushland and on the way back race straight through the vineyards, past vines and with an amazing view of the surrounding Upper Hunter Valley.

Food - we will provide catering with snacks, sandwiches, wraps and pasta on Saturday and are planning an "Après Race" gettogether with wine, cheese, olives and crackers. Let's wrap up the race day under the stars!

We will also ask near-by cheese and olive-oil makers to let us have a good taste of their fares throughout the day. For people camping overnight on Saturday, we recommend bringing breakfast, however, we'll double-check with our caterer if he can look after us on the morning after the race as well - watch this space and the upcoming newsletters for updates.

Water - will be provided on-site.

Accommodation nearby - we can recommend the nearby towns of Sandy Hollow (5 min) and Denman (15 min) or Musswellbrook (30 min drive).
http://www.visitdenman.com.au/index...nt&view=category&layout=blog&id=59&Itemid=215
http://www.sandyhollow.com.au/
http://www.muswellbrook.org.au/accommodation.asp

Camping
Graeme from James Estate has offered us to also camp on-site. We've had some inquiries already of groups of friends who want to make it a whole weekend out - what a great idea, apart from the race track there will be heaps of more trails to explore, which will be marked as well. For riders arriving on Friday and those with large camper vans, Graeme and his team will prepare one of the winery paddocks for camping. The set up will be basic with portable toilets and we'll set up a camping shower near the event centre and at the paddock as well. The paddock is not far from the event centre, maybe a 2 minute ride.
For one-night campers on the Saturday night we're more flexible and we'll mark out some spots for you. You're most welcome to head to the paddock after the race also to set up and then we'll invite everyone for "Après Racing Snacks under the Stars" at the Cellar Door.

trailburner

News from the FlowMTB guys:

FLOW LOVES ROCKY TRAIL RACERS
MASSIVE SUBSCRIPTION DISCOUNT FOR ALL RTE ENTRANTS!

All entrants in any Rocky Trail Entertainment event are entitled to a massive discount from Flow Mountain Bike!

As a Rocky Trail racer, you'll receive a year's subscription (four issues) to Flow Mountain Bike magazine, plus access to exclusive member-only content AND a bonus digital magazine subscription for just $40 - that's 20% off!

To take advantage of this killer offer, head to www.flowmountainbike.com/register and enter the code Rocky Trail Racer in the coupon field.

October26

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a bunch of photos from my Go Pro.

Rider 412 I have about a million photos of you on the first lap if you want to PM me your email.

crummy?

Likes Dirt
Wickedly Sweet

Results: http://www.rockytrailentertainment.com/events/MTBGP-results.html

Great race
Awesome crowd
So much fun
Perfect weather...at the third attempt
No serious injury

A pleasure organising those events for you guys! Thanks all for coming - see you in 3 weeks at the James Estate Winery.
With some of the best trails, finally sweet conditions, tempting treats and flowing fun. Hopefully this echos how everyone found round one.

Full blog here.

Video possibly soon ;)

gwiny

Squid
Given it's raining now, and the forecast is for rain over the next few days; just wondering how the event is shaping up. Is it a wet friendly track? Should I pack an extra bottle of dirt wash? or train for an extra week?

trailburner

Given it's raining now, and the forecast is for rain over the next few days; just wondering how the event is shaping up. Is it a wet friendly track? Should I pack an extra bottle of dirt wash? or train for an extra week?
After today's showers rain is forecast to be coastal. We are far enough inland that I predict a dry race. The track is quite sandy so if it should rain it will drain very well.

Nick76

Squid
How did the race go? Was there much rain?
With little to no rain (minimal sprinkle at 4hr mark) the 4 hr race went well, dry and very very sandy through the single track section with a fair few front tyres washouts on the corners which soon became a liability which kept each lap more and more interesting..

Well done to the organisers and James Estate for putting together a great track that's now open to the public I believe.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm fairly new to MTB racing but the categories seem pretty strange. Shouldn't the Elite category be the cream of the crop?

In the ladies 7hr the podium of the solo masters beat all but one of the ladies elite. Why the elite category then? Surely there should just be a ladies overall podium? This happened to some extent in the men's too.

I believe the Masters are not allowed in the elite category as they are too old!

Seems a bit wrong to me.

Rida

Likes Bikes
I'm fairly new to MTB racing but the categories seem pretty strange. Shouldn't the Elite category be the cream of the crop?

In the ladies 7hr the podium of the solo masters beat all but one of the ladies elite. Why the elite category then? Surely there should just be a ladies overall podium? This happened to some extent in the men's too.

I believe the Masters are not allowed in the elite category as they are too old!

Seems a bit wrong to me.
People under the age of 40 (ie younger than Masters) are automatically entered into the 'elite'. Anyone else, including Masters and Supermasters, can also enter the elite if they want to.

But I agree with the gist of your comment. It would be more logical to just give the major prizes to the first three overall places in each gender (regardless of age divisions) with additional prizes for age categories as appropriate based on numbers/ demand.