Shimano BB92 compatible ?

Evening folks,

I'm currently building my new bike [well planning] and I need a Shimano XT bottom bracket. I've been told by the store it needs to be BB92, however I can only find BB91.

Three questions;

1. Can I get an aftermarket Shimano BB92?

2. What other brands have a BB92/91 [Shimano XT] compatible product. The only ones I've found are;

RaceFace X-Type Team XC BB Cups
RaceFace X-Type Press Fit BB Cups
RaceFace X-Type Team DH BB Cups

3. What would be peoples pick if you had to buy a BB91/92?

Thanks

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
BB91 and BB92 are identical bottom brackets
You're on the right track. BB91 is a model code, BB92 is a frame format (as is BB90, although it's actually 89.5mm). BB91 (and BB71 for a lower-spec version) will fit both BB90 (with a 2.5mm spacer) and BB92 (no spacer).

However, just to be a pain in the arse, there are two diameters, 41mm & 42mm. Measure the BB holes in the frame to determine which one is the right one.

EDIT: Just to further confuse the situation, Shimano also have a BB92 model code, but it's Dura-Ace/other road and therefore not actually compatible with the BB92 frame format (it's only 86mm)! Go figure!

Last edited:

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
You're on the right track. BB91 is a model code, BB92 is a frame format (as is BB90, although it's actually 89.5mm). BB91 (and BB71 for a lower-spec version) will fit both BB90 (with a 2.5mm spacer) and BB92 (no spacer).

However, just to be a pain in the arse, there are two diameters, 41mm & 42mm. Measure the BB holes in the frame to determine which one is the right one.

EDIT: Just to further confuse the situation, Shimano also have a BB92 model code, but it's Dura-Ace/other road and therefore not actually compatible with the BB92 frame format (it's only 86mm)! Go figure!
What the actual fuck. The world has gone mad! Why did we have to move past nice external bb's? Bad enough with 76/83 or whatever it is. Death to the press for bb

moorey

call me Mia
What the actual fuck. The world has gone mad! Why did we have to move past nice external bb's? Bad enough with 76/83 or whatever it is. Death to the press for bb
Yes. Square taper can eat a dick, but now that they moved past that onto International Standard splined, everythings easy...right?...right?
LTIH. International Standards that are anything but that....

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say