Knock Knock - 2012 RP23 Adaptive Logic

yiannos18

Likes Dirt
hi everyone,
I'm experiencing a bit of an issue with my rear shock.. It knocks quite significantly on rebound.
I've linked the video to this post so you can get an idea of what it is.

http://youtu.be/S8_QxFG9Xrg

It started off as excess stiction and a reluctance to move past the sag point, now it's progressed to a large knock on rebound. As you'll hear in the video, it is quite loud. It also feels fairly harsh as well, like it's topping out too readily.
I'm running 170psi in the shock currently (gets me around 17% sag, I like my efficiency :roll: ) so it's not like I'm running excessive amounts of air pressure.
I'm aware it needs a service/rebuild, but what would have been the cause of this? ie. which component failure?
Bear in mind that the DU Bush is 5-6 months old and bearings are 3 months old..

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a similar issue with a 2012 RP23 Kashima shock. Mine had a noticeable "knock" type feeling when pro pedal was engaged. Popular theory was that there was air in the sealed cartridge and when the pro pedal was engaged this became more obvious. It wasn't a noise, just a feel. Exactly like a worn DU bush, only it wasn't.

Shock got sent away for warranty and came back 10 times worse. Sent it back again and they sent back a new 2013 CTD. A full service should be $180 - $200. I would get the service and I would expect that the problem will be gone.

yiannos18

Likes Dirt
I had a similar issue with a 2012 RP23 Kashima shock. Mine had a noticeable "knock" type feeling when pro pedal was engaged. Popular theory was that there was air in the sealed cartridge and when the pro pedal was engaged this became more obvious. It wasn't a noise, just a feel. Exactly like a worn DU bush, only it wasn't.

Shock got sent away for warranty and came back 10 times worse. Sent it back again and they sent back a new 2013 CTD. A full service should be $180 - $200. I would get the service and I would expect that the problem will be gone.
Mine started out as a knock with propedal engaged (usually leave it on 1, too lazy to keep changing it and for some reason, 1 isn't different to 3 so I don't bother) and would knock/'click' in its sag point, now that click has been amplified and it also makes the knock on full rebound extension, which feels similar to bottoming out, but the reverse way.. :/
I believe it is a case of service it and it'll be gone, hopefully it doesn't cost much more than that!

Sounds like it could be a design issue for that model year...

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine started out as a knock with propedal engaged (usually leave it on 1, too lazy to keep changing it and for some reason, 1 isn't different to 3 so I don't bother) and would knock/'click' in its sag point, now that click has been amplified and it also makes the knock on full rebound extension, which feels similar to bottoming out, but the reverse way.. :/
I believe it is a case of service it and it'll be gone, hopefully it doesn't cost much more than that!

Sounds like it could be a design issue for that model year...
No mine was different to yours. Mine was never like a top out. Pretty sure mine was from having air in the sealed cartridge.