Lapierre xr

DrSlow

Squid
Cheers setonz. Getting closer to pulling trigger on some type of 529. To Ei or not Ei that's the current question...

setonz

Likes Dirt
Just put in my order for the XR 729 EI today. Just a little excited!
Was wondering how you guys found the tyres they come with, the Michelin racers?
Mine came with Schwalbe rocket rons in the performance guise

jimspr

Likes Bikes
I would be too. Didn't know that they were bringing the 729 into the country. Special order?
Long story short. A shipment due for Europe was cancelled. Now on its way here. From what I've been told there are 6 coming into the country together with some more 529's.

DrSlow

Squid
Woohoo Just ordered my 529ei ! now I need to work out how to shave some weight. First up will be to throw on my Stan's Crest wheelset. Maybe bar and seat post next...

DrSlow

Squid
Picked my new XR 529 with ei shock on the weekend. Had it out for a decent 4hr ride. What a great bike! Much much quicker through singletrack than my Anthem X 0 29er. Climbing is really awesome, although once it gets very steep the bike requires a bit more weight forward compared to the Anthem. It's a lot more stable than I thought it would be on fast fireroad descents as well, not twitchy.

The ei shock: yes it does work indeed; locks out the shock whenever you need to put the power down. Even moderate speed cruising it hardens up which is great. Allows me to run more sag than I would usually, plus I don't have to mess about with the shock through the ride. To be honest, I was quite surprised by how well that part of the bike performed. Of course, longevity of a system like this is going to be the critical test.

Will be weight shedding over the next month. Its not super light yet, without pedals but with the ei shock and battery it was 12.25. Stans crest wheelset, carbon bar and seatpost and some lighter ATAC pedals (compared to XT trails) should get it down to a more reasonable level for enduros, marathons etc.

asterix

Likes Bikes
I've just put a deposit an XR529 too & am pretty excited. Just a question about the wheelset. The rear hub is 142mm. I have a set of American Classic 29ers on my current ride & would like to use them but they are 135mm in the rear. Can the frame accommodate the 135mm rear hub with a spacer or something?

DrSlow

Squid
I'm not sure regarding the American Classics. I have Stan's Crest built up on Hope Pro2 Hubs and had to get a 142 12mm adapter kit for the rear.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I've just put a deposit an XR529 too & am pretty excited. Just a question about the wheelset. The rear hub is 142mm. I have a set of American Classic 29ers on my current ride & would like to use them but they are 135mm in the rear. Can the frame accommodate the 135mm rear hub with a spacer or something?
You can get a 12mm axle kit for the american classic hubs

DrSlow

Squid
Wondering if anyone has weighed the stock Lapierre bar on the 529? I'd like to swap it out for something like an Easton ec70 which they have on the team, but would like to know what I'd save.

jimspr

Likes Bikes
Wondering if anyone has weighed the stock Lapierre bar on the 529? I'd like to swap it out for something like an Easton ec70 which they have on the team, but would like to know what I'd save.
I have been told that my 729 comes in this week. I will weigh the bars for you then.

DrSlow

Squid
Thanks jimspr. My medium 529 ei is sitting at 12.3 with hope hoops on Stan's crest rims and a truvativ carbon seatpost. Looking for further savings. Pedals and bars are the next two obvious targets.

jimspr

Likes Bikes
Thanks jimspr. My medium 529 ei is sitting at 12.3 with hope hoops on Stan's crest rims and a truvativ carbon seatpost. Looking for further savings. Pedals and bars are the next two obvious targets.
Interesting that I see the weight listed at 11.5kg. The Ei listed at 350 grams. I guess the listed weight is about right given yours is 12.3 with pedals.
I have read that the wheels are pretty heavy.
Have you converted to tubeless yet?

DrSlow

Squid
Yeah the stock wheels are heavy as. I swapped them for a pair of hope hoops with Stan's crest rims. Not top shelf but great value. I think I saved around 700gms or so. I notice a bit of flex in the rear wheel compared to the stock wheels which are much stiffer. Dont think those wheels are laced tight. I got used to it but it's a bit of a squishy feel early on. Something stiffer would make the handling even better I'd rekon.
Chinese carbon??
Yep also running them tubeless - racing Ralph's with Stan's