So what are your thoughts on scooters? Have you got one?

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I suppose I'm mainly wondering if it's worthwhile buying a scooter for my kids, not as a replacement but as an addition to MTB.

For parents, do your kids have scooters as well as bikes?
For you teens do you ride or own both?
Do you think bikes and scooters each have their own purpose (like laptops compared to tablets I suppose)?
Or was it just a fad you once went through and now sits in the corner or under the bed? Or maybe once you got a scooter your bike stayed in the shed? (Shame on you...I keep my bike in the house!)

Just curious on peoples thoughts in general I guess. I see a lot of kids do use skateboards, scooters etc these days. My kids are aged 8 and 10, they have a 24" MTB each at the moment. And I"m thinking about getting them scooters as a bit of a stop gap until they're ready for a more proper 26" MTB....another couple of years until that I reckon.

My Son (10yr old) got a skateboard for his birthday this year but doesn't use it much....ha ha unless I take the dog and ride his skateboard to school myself to go meet them, and then he rides it home. School is an easy walking distance though so no need for them to ride / skate or whatever (that could change if we move in the next couple of years or when he hits high school). He did have a good bmx but din't use it much, he prefers the old MTB I got for him because it has gears.

Anyway I'm thinking the dirt scooters look pretty awesome, but they're pretty expensive! I like the idea because they seem a bit more versatile than the regular variety, at least we could take something like this when we go on long camping trips etc (easier to carry compared to bikes).

http://engadinecycles.com.au/products.php?c=0&p=1045

4a291e9c3f02be4037c82da7857a3b3a.jpg

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Fantastic way to find out how fast bones heal.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fantastic way to find out how fast bones heal.

ooohhh that would certainly put me off lol Although my kids are hardly dare devils....chicken like their Mum I guess :)

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
:thumb:
Depends where you let them ride. My 6yo did his arm on a skate park. Hasn't slowed him down tho, still whinges to stop every time we drive past a skate park with the scooter in the car.

charlieking97

Likes Dirt
I'm a teenager so this is a pretty up to date opinion. I started on a bike, one of the kids who did nothing else, never used training wheels etc. When I was around the age of your kids, I went through the stage of wanting new things. Most people I know had a scooter, skateboard or something else instead of a bike. They did get used for a little bit, but ended up going under the house and never being seen again. It is often scooter>ripstick/other odd ones>skateboard>longboard but most kids get bored of them quickly. I wouldn't buy $350 scooters for such young kids....I ride my mtb and nothing else now.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Scooters suck. So does everyone who rides them.

Skate or Die

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Seems like a waste of money to me. Correct me if I'm wrong but seems like the kids haven't initiated the desire for them, you have. That's warning bells right there. You may get lucky and they decide they like them after all but sounds like a risky experiment to me.

Why don't you just get a "normal" razor type scooter to start with. These are cheap-ish or free if you get from bulk/verge collection. They are always being thrown out. Grab one and see if they enjoy it.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Seriously though (although I was serious in my last post :p ), It seems the more the years go by, the more people are wanting to do activities that are:

A: Less dangerous
B: Easy, requiring little to no skill
C: etc

I remember when skating, ( proper skating ), was the thing to do. It was incredibly hard to get good, but we persisted and became quite skillful at it. We gained a great skill-set of balance, technique, persistence, stamina, strength, taking drugs the list goes on.
Now the kids are on scooters, they can drop in a bowl on day one and years later are still as delicate as a petal.

Say NO to scooters!

RCOH

Eats Squid
Seriously though (although I was serious in my last post :p ), It seems the more the years go by, the more people are wanting to do activities that are:

I remember when skating, ( proper skating ), was the thing to do. It was incredibly hard to get good, but we persisted and became quite skillful at it. We gained a great skill-set of balance, technique, persistence, stamina, strength, taking drugs the list goes on.
Now the kids are on scooters, they can drop in a bowl on day one and years later are still as delicate as a petal.

Say NO to scooters!
Quoted for Truth.

The normal razor scooters are good for kids to muck about on in the street, but if they want to go to a skatepark, get a skateboard or a bike. They will be better people in the long run. No one like scooter kids. And make them learn skatepark etiquette!

Stick with the bikes.

RCOH

Eats Squid
Disclaimer: My twin 8yo boys have razor scooters and bore of them quickly. they are now rusting on our balcony. They ride or walk now.

Koper25

Likes Dirt

Say NO to scooters!
^ This. I feel like almost nothing else needs to be posted. Scooters are for kids that can't skate or ride BMX at parks.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
The instant gratification generation.

I wouldn't say scooters require no skill at the top end but any six year old can drop in and do something.

Skating and, for that matter, riding takes a little more time and commitment before you can do anything interesting.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Every time we go to the bike shop(most weekends) my 2 yo daughter is drawn to the scooters. She can't yet ride a bike but walked straight up to a scooter and started riding it around the shop.
Scooter kids suck, even your own. She's never getting a scooter, or a pony.