Yarra Trails regulars

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Has the fence next to the road on the boulie been removed? Just on the north side of the bridge that crosses the freeway? I was in the car and couldn't see it.

Also, Wombat is pretty good at the moment. I was out there today on the cross trainer and it's drier than you'd expect. While I didn't actually ride the mtb trails, I did ride all over Wombat and even got a little dust. Sure there is some water in the puddles, but there almost always is at Wombat.

Last edited:

JESSKA

Likes Bikes
Rode the YT's for the first time in a long while yesterday, the trails were a little damp in places but only rode from Westerfolds to Burgundy street. I saw a bigish guy on an orange Yeti, was that you Big JD?

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It was lovely to see George at Hans loop yesterday. :) Yes he had the fat-bike!

Two works to describe the trail yesterday: "SUperhero traction".

For those of you that want some fire roads to train with when the trails are rubbish try Warrandyte. Solid climbing, about 800m over a 35mk loop. It's MTB and guilt free as you're not stuffing up the trail. It won't harm your fitness either... You could ride the loop (mostly) with a cyclocross bike too.

Just LMK and I'll pass on the Garmin files.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Rode the YT's for the first time in a long while yesterday, the trails were a little damp in places but only rode from Westerfolds to Burgundy street. I saw a bigish guy on an orange Yeti, was that you Big JD?
no my yetis are black and I was inside trying on a skinsuit- too cold to be riding

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Has the fence next to the road on the boulie been removed? Just on the north side of the bridge that crosses the freeway? I was in the car and couldn't see it.
Not sure about the fence on the north side. The new link is on the south side of the Freeway. When you exit the high side ST just south of the Freeway go straight across the Boulie and you’ll see the ST heading down towards the river. It will come out right next to the downstream end of the wooden bridge (the last part of the link goes down the edge of the small gully which the wooden bridge crosses).

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure about the fence on the north side. The new link is on the south side of the Freeway. When you exit the high side ST just south of the Freeway go straight across the Boulie and you’ll see the ST heading down towards the river. It will come out right next to the downstream end of the wooden bridge (the last part of the link goes down the edge of the small gully which the wooden bridge crosses).
so you don't use the downhill at the end of the freeway bridge (city side) (to access ST lower) it starts where the barrier ends, steep drop that ends at the hill above the little STs that hits the wooden bridge, always find that flows well and a ripper to climb up.

Big AC

Likes Dirt
so you don't use the downhill at the end of the freeway bridge (city side) (to access ST lower) it starts where the barrier ends, steep drop that ends at the hill above the little STs that hits the wooden bridge, always find that flows well and a ripper to climb up.
I think that we are talking about different pieces in the same area. I hadn't seen this bit before and it felt new as the bottom part of it (closet to the wooden bridge) is not very clearly worn; however, the top part near the boulie is quiet easy to see.

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
I think that we are talking about different pieces in the same area. I hadn't seen this bit before and it felt new as the bottom part of it (closet to the wooden bridge) is not very clearly worn; however, the top part near the boulie is quiet easy to see.
Big AC which side of the river are you talking about? mtb101 was talking city side of freeway bridge I think but I would say that is opposite the boulevard side?

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Big AC which side of the river are you talking about? mtb101 was talking city side of freeway bridge I think but I would say that is opposite the boulevard side?
To avoid further confusion attached is a marked up Google map which shows the location of the ST link that I’m talking about (the link is the shitty red line). The end cloest to the river is literally right next to the small wooden bridge which is on the low side of the boulie ST (just after you come down star pickets and go under the freeway).

ST.JPG

JESSKA

Likes Bikes
This might seem like a silly question, but is there much ST between Fairfield Boathouse & the city. I always manage to make it to Fairfield & unsure where the trail goes from there (towards the city).

I usually ride along that rocky section up to the pipe bridge across to Fairfield Boathouse for coffee.
I've tried riding straight under the bridge hoping to reach Studley Park Boathouse but from memory there was a fence/gate in the way.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
This might seem like a silly question, but is there much ST between Fairfield Boathouse & the city. I always manage to make it to Fairfield & unsure where the trail goes from there (towards the city).

I usually ride along that rocky section up to the pipe bridge across to Fairfield Boathouse for coffee.
I've tried riding straight under the bridge hoping to reach Studley Park Boathouse but from memory there was a fence/gate in the way.
yes there is heaps of ST between the Boathouse and the City. Some is right next to the river and other Loops are up above the road. You really need to be guided but there is no harm in exploring- you cant get too lost.

Yet1

Likes Dirt

From Fairfield boat house, towards the city there is the main rocky section (starpickets) that goes under the bridge, then heads towards the bat colony. From there you can make it on the river (low) side to Studley Park or up on the other side of the Yarra Bvd there are some more ST. But going this way you will need to jump on the road. The other way (low side, past the bat colony) there is a closed section (track has washed out) and stairs.

Off topic... but the other day on the way back home, I was crossing the yarra at Church St (heading into South Yarra) and I saw old mate in a little kayak reeling in a massive fish! Having done a bit of fishing myself, I would estimate it being 80cm long and around the 10kg mark. Had no idea there were fish that big in the murky depths of the Yarra, especially so close to the city!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To avoid further confusion attached is a marked up Google map which shows the location of the ST link that I’m talking about (the link is the shitty red line). The end cloest to the river is literally right next to the small wooden bridge which is on the low side of the boulie ST (just after you come down star pickets and go under the freeway).
thanks for posting yes know the track saw it a few weeks ago, a bit of erosion in there so prefer the earlier access track just after the barrier.

here;
access_lower_st.jpg

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think I recognise that climb AA :)

-> http://app.strava.com/segments/911744
ha ha you're no slouch on that either - you know once I was nearly at the top definite KOM missed pedal and rolled down the side like a large boulder.

btw if you were going to make up a YTs dirty dozen climb guide this would be one, monument another, bush hut, up to nowhere, the mega steep at kew boathouse have you or anyone gone up the climb that's normally a descent with switch backs down next to Johnson st bridge that finishes under bridge where you go up steps to do monument loop?

Last edited:

JESSKA

Likes Bikes
Off topic... but the other day on the way back home, I was crossing the yarra at Church St (heading into South Yarra) and I saw old mate in a little kayak reeling in a massive fish! Having done a bit of fishing myself, I would estimate it being 80cm long and around the 10kg mark. Had no idea there were fish that big in the murky depths of the Yarra, especially so close to the city!
There are some massive Carp in the Yarra. All I keep catching in the Yarra is long necked tortoises :( - can't believe how many there are.

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look around for the ST next time I'm out that way. Is there anything on the Fairfield Boathouse side of the river?

Coaster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
....... <snip>.have you or anyone gone up the climb that's normally a descent with switch backs down next to Johnson st bridge that finishes under bridge where you go up steps to do monument loop?
Hard and fun that one. In fact the length of track is nice and tricky.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
ha ha you're no slouch on that either - you know once I was nearly at the top definite KOM missed pedal and rolled down the side like a large boulder.

btw if you were going to make up a YTs dirty dozen climb guide this would be one, monument another, bush hut, up to nowhere, the mega steep at kew boathouse have you or anyone gone up the climb that's normally a descent with switch backs down next to Johnson st bridge that finishes under bridge where you go up steps to do monument loop?
that is a big fat no