solar power install pros/cons

binner

Hath shat hymself
ok,so I finally have thought about going solar power. Would like to hear from anyone in Brisbane who has had it installed and any pros/cons with it.
I'm looking at around a 4/5 kWh system on a 2 story house with 4 homosapiens. References,installers, your thoughts........ hit me.

cheers Binner.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
If Binner doesn't mind(will delete if you do), I'm in the same boat in Canberra.

binner

Hath shat hymself
If Binner doesn't mind(will delete if you do), I'm in the same boat in Canberra.
all cool, I tried to look at it about a year ago and it all fucked with my head so gave up, but now it's time to bite the bullet and see what the fuck all the hype is about. I have started doing the math but still think word of mouth is the best way to sort the shit in the soup.

andy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Con - I think you have missed out on the good payback rate.

Pros - I have a little system and they owe me money now.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Con - I think you have missed out on the good payback rate.

Pros - I have a little system and they owe me money now.
Con: I know that, thats what happens when you shove shit to the side and say "oh yeah I'll look at that next week"

Pro: I heard you have a little system :wink:............ don't pay the ferry man, don't even fix a price.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
all cool, I tried to look at it about a year ago and it all fucked with my head so gave up, but now it's time to bite the bullet and see what the fuck all the hype is about. I have started doing the math but still think word of mouth is the best way to sort the shit in the soup.
Same, dang it. There's a get quote on the net from every brand site, but it's sill hard as it's not apples for apples, everything's a bit different, and apparently the payback rate is about to drop. Not sure how Rudd will or if effect that.

Last edited:

binner

Hath shat hymself
fast money

Same, dang it. There's a get quote on the net from every brand site, but it's sill hard as it's not apples for apples, everything's a bit different, and apparently the payback rate is about to drop. Not sure how Rudd will or if effect that.
Yeah, the get quote stuff is kinda helpful but like you say , every system is diff etc etc. I have heard from a lot of friends and fam that their inverters are fucking out already after 2 years. I'm kinda glad I didn't do anything till now, because like the roof insulation bullshit from a few years ago the shit installers/backyarders/sharks are being thinned out.

sikpuppyonglory

Likes Dirt
hiring Rennie, Graves etc.. to power up a 4KW system daily, 30 yrs + ..... ;-)

the wife and I are contemplating about getting it at the moment, new house and all that jazz that goes with it to make it more energy efficient, blah blah blah.
We know someone who has been doing it for a couple of years now, won't get to talk to him though till next month sometime though, but yes have probably the same concerns as yourself, what will be the right system for us, how much will it cost us, do we have to go through a certain power company, etc????

I'm probably not as concerned as to getting money back from energy company, more so as to getting a nasty bill, which is what this would be the main idea behind getting solar installed.

rotorub

Likes Dirt
No easy answers shop around and ask heaps of questions. I am in NSW so no help there

Simple and best advice we got - Put the biggest system on your roof for the budget you can afford!!!!!

Regardless of rebates this thing is going to cut your power bill down one of the best things we have done to our home!

the wife and I are contemplating about getting it at the moment, new house and all that jazz that goes with it to make it more energy efficient, blah blah blah.
We know someone who has been doing it for a couple of years now, won't get to talk to him though till next month sometime though, but yes have probably the same concerns as yourself, what will be the right system for us, how much will it cost us, do we have to go through a certain power company, etc????

I'm probably not as concerned as to getting money back from energy company, more so as to getting a nasty bill, which is what this would be the main idea behind getting solar installed.

binner

Hath shat hymself
I'm not concerned about selling back to grid.i think that is a load of shit. But,yeah I want to do this properly the first time round so was even contemplating going like 8kwh but the coin is huge....close to 9grand. wow!

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
A few things....

1. No point having solar unless you utilise a lot of power through the day.

2. If you do get solar - make sure it's not some "fly by" company as if shit goes wrong you've got no chance of them coming back to fix it - always try and go a local even if it costs a bit more money.

3. Ensure your installer is using half decent brands - the quality difference in solar panels/inverters is huge and makes a significant difference to power output! Sometimes its worth paying that little bit extra so you know your'e getting the good stuff.

4. Install a "Wattson" monitor or something similar. Basically it's a simple monitor that you sit inside the house and it can tell you how much power you are using - that way you can see if power is being wasted (i.e your missus leaving the hair straightener on or the electric blanket etc).

5. Check your inverter once a week/fortnight. I've known of people who don't even look at their system at all once its installed - only to call up 6 months later saying that there inverter switched itself of 3 months ago and they didn't realise until they got there new power bill.

6. Not sure what rebates are like these days as I've been out of the solar side of our business for a while now. From what I hear the returns are minimal (however I'm in NSW).

As to what size system to get, there's calculators online which should give you a rough indication, also a reputable solar installer should be able to put your current power bills through a spreadsheet and give you a good idea which way to go.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
With the Feed in Tariff the way it is in Qld to make the most of a new solar install you need to shift you power usage to daytime so you use your own generation rather than what comes off the grid. The difference being you pay 25c ish for other generation or get paid a maximum of 14c for what you export. So that means pool pumps and washing etc done during the day. If you are not home and can't set your consumption up this way it will still work but your payback is much longer.

As to the install just make sure you get quality parts and a quality installer. Don't go for anyone that does other stuff like roof renovations or general work. It pays to get an installer who uses their own sparkies and not a contractor. I have pm'd you a couple of names that are good.

You should also check what your big consumers are and do an audit so you know what sucks the power and what is wasting it. Usual suspects like leaving things on standby because it is easier than switching them off. Old fridges etc. Then you need to do the numbers and work out what is cost effective.

Above all else go to the Whirlpool and have a good look through the green tech section. Search your questions, there is a lot of good stuff on there.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I can't offer any advice on the system itself but I can say the minimum system we had to have fitted to our new house has done jack shit. On that basis and the feedback I get from other people in our area I conclude that solar sucks and is a waste of time and money. Funnily enough, I'm sponsored by a solar company and some of their staff have even admitted the whole solar energy thing is not worth the press it gets.
Get a fat kid to pedal a bike Binner, at least you'll see it working. ;)

callum1

Likes Dirt
I am an installer. a few things to note.

-i worked for sunelec in clontarf for a year (iv moved up north now) very reputable. highly recomended.

-your house uses power before you sell it, on todays tarriff you get 8c per kwh (kilowatt hour) sold (16 with AGL i believe) so the power is more valuable to you used (meaning you dont have to buy that kwh for 25c), so try to use more pwr during the day, washing, pool pump, etc.

-reputable inverters are generally more pricey, do not buy cheap. good one's that i have personally installed and never had a call back to are SMA and Aurora. and decent panels i know of are bosch and conergy, but everyone will have their own preferred panel to install.

-as someone else said look at the inverter at least once a week, so you'll notice any red lights.

-the physical limitaions of the building WILL affect the performance, but the installer should let you know all that before hand.

-4-5kw will should get rid of your power bill (i assume its around 300ish? for 2 peeps) plus a bit sold. they give you a cheque once a year, to pay out what you sell to them.

-thats about it man, go for it power price will only go one way, ^, but the amount you produce should sty the same for at least 10-15 years, and the amount you use should stay the same if not go down, as more efficient appliances are invented...unless you have kids of course.

feel free to pm if you want more info.

yes, you're Right

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Synergy owe me money....which is paying off the capital cost of installing the panels. The quality of the panels that are being made in China is rapidly improving. From what I read before installing a couple of years ago, the quality of the inverter will have a significant impact upon the efficiency of the system. There is a very comprehensive wrap up of all things solar related on the Whirlpool website.

poita

Likes Dirt
I have no idea about residential solar, but my wife and I are camping around Australia with solar a big part of our power solution. The main thing I would say with solar is really know what your power use is. Really try to match the panel size to your use, too small is pointless and too large is a waste of cash.
Also, as mentioned by others, panel position and sunlight hours play a big role in how well it works. If your roof doesn't catch much sun and you don't get many sunlight hours you are probably going to be disappointed.
Hope that helps somewhat!