Get the girls with our special weight-loss dieting techniques

Skarajew

Likes Bikes
Looking good niko.

I'm also in Melbourne. AKA buttfuck nowhere. AKA Pakenham.

So if you wanna train at Dohertys or something sometime let me know :)
cheers for the offer plow! I could use some fresh ideas and some guidance. Unfortunately at the moment im on a 3 and 1 roster working FIFO in Onslow, WA , so I rarely get a chance to get home a lot of the time. My ex girlfriends sister goes to dohertys, it goes alright. A fair drive from packy though mate!

Regards,

Plow King

Little bit.
cheers for the offer plow! I could use some fresh ideas and some guidance. Unfortunately at the moment im on a 3 and 1 roster working FIFO in Onslow, WA , so I rarely get a chance to get home a lot of the time. My ex girlfriends sister goes to dohertys, it goes alright. A fair drive from packy though mate!

Regards,
There's a dohertys in dandenong so it's really only a 20 minute drive. Mind me asking how you scored the FIFO job? Do you have a trade?

Skarajew

Likes Bikes
There's a dohertys in dandenong so it's really only a 20 minute drive. Mind me asking how you scored the FIFO job? Do you have a trade?
Yeah man thats the one jill goes to. I'm lucky as i go to input, which is a 5 min ride around the corner. My gig out west? I'm a surveyor. They are still in a fair high demand, so work out this way is easy to get. Just got to get back to 2-2

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey gym rats, got a question.

My girlfriend took me to a boxing/fitness class tonight, i thought I'd smash it but nope, it nearly killed me. Question is, would doing this Tuesdays and Thursdays whilst at the same time doing heavy gym mon-wed-fri be ok?

I burnt 778calories In 1hr:45 so it's not actually that crazy fat burner wise but it flogged me.

If I ate back the calories, Would my weights in the gym still improve? More importantly my size? I hear people that do boxing at the same time ended up running in circles staying small...

No weights being done, but I have a feeling my shoulders are going to be sore for days.

clockworked

Like an orange
Hey gym rats, got a question.

My girlfriend took me to a boxing/fitness class tonight, i thought I'd smash it but nope, it nearly killed me. Question is, would doing this Tuesdays and Thursdays whilst at the same time doing heavy gym mon-wed-fri be ok?

I burnt 778calories In 1hr:45 so it's not actually that crazy fat burner wise but it flogged me.

If I ate back the calories, Would my weights in the gym still improve? More importantly my size? I hear people that do boxing at the same time ended up running in circles staying small...

No weights being done, but I have a feeling my shoulders are going to be sore for days.
it's fairly anecdotal, but when I used to box a few of the heavyweights were also lifting heavy weights to see if it helped with power (and getting bouncing jobs). We found it slowed them down a bit, and didn't help much with power. But we didn't have much trouble lifting big weights and boxing, it didn't seem to strip bodyweight much.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeh I'm not too concerned with boxing progress, that's just for fitness/fun. More concerned about losing out on muscle size, but I reckon as long as I eat to suit I should be ok.

Plow King

Little bit.
Sup errybody.

started working on my form and strengthening up my back the last few months. So I'm attempting some deadlifts with pretty good results. I've had 4 attempts at deadlifts. Had a mate come last weekend who's a personal trainer come and critique me and said it looked al good. his only critique was I was being too much of a pussy handling the weights. Anyway.

Managed 120 pretty easily last week so I'm going for 140 this morning 5th ever time trying deadlifts. See how we go :)

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good work plow, don't rush into it and keep the weights light. I find its really easy to drop the form when adding the weight to quick. Try repping 140 for awhile even.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Sup Farkers. Don't think I've posted on here in a good year or so. Hope you're all doing well, and getting strong.

Plow King

Little bit.
Hello everybody. Still lifting. Weight is down to 89.5. Pulled 3 plates for 5 x 3. Upto 8 plates a side on leg press for 8. Shoulder press is upto 35s and bench is upto 42.5s for 3.

Come at me strength

Skarajew

Likes Bikes
Word up plow, good work! I've switched my routine around, going compound exercises only. With the intermittent fasting leangains and the carb cycling its working out bloody fantastic!

Regardos
Nikos

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Had a shitty 7 months so far with X1 knee dislocation, X1 Shoulder separation and some crazy two month long flu that has resulted in a complete lack of motivation.

Bench is stuck at 100kg - 4x8, any more than this and the shoulder starts to get aggravated, lightening the load and adding some volume results in the same pain.
Can't squat - shoulder does not have enough ROM / front squat too painful on shoulder - moved to 45 leg press, kind of enjoying it, so easy to go heavy. Currently at 300kg 4x10, making this my priority, although I passed out last session, to the Mrs amusement.
Can't do Dips - probably won't be able to do them for another 6 months.
Seated Row / lat pulldown both about 10% below body weight, comfortably at 90kg, but fading pretty fast in 3-4 set. Shoulder tolerates these really well.

Current program looks something like this (if i have to wait for machines I swap it around).

45 leg press (do calfs at same time) 4x10
barbell bench 4x8
Seated Row 4x8
Hamstring Curls 4x8
Shoulder press or lateral raise 3x10 (low intensity)
Bicep curls 2x10 (summers coming!)
Some form of back extension (to replace the stimulus missing from squats/deads)
Cardio... not wasting my time, well leg press gets the HR up to 160+

my02

Likes Dirt
Had a shitty 7 months so far with X1 knee dislocation, X1 Shoulder separation and some crazy two month long flu that has resulted in a complete lack of motivation.

Bench is stuck at 100kg - 4x8, any more than this and the shoulder starts to get aggravated, lightening the load and adding some volume results in the same pain.
Can't squat - shoulder does not have enough ROM / front squat too painful on shoulder - moved to 45 leg press, kind of enjoying it, so easy to go heavy. Currently at 300kg 4x10, making this my priority, although I passed out last session, to the Mrs amusement.
Can't do Dips - probably won't be able to do them for another 6 months.
Seated Row / lat pulldown both about 10% below body weight, comfortably at 90kg, but fading pretty fast in 3-4 set. Shoulder tolerates these really well.

Current program looks something like this (if i have to wait for machines I swap it around).

45 leg press (do calfs at same time) 4x10
barbell bench 4x8
Seated Row 4x8
Hamstring Curls 4x8
Shoulder press or lateral raise 3x10 (low intensity)
Bicep curls 2x10 (summers coming!)
Some form of back extension (to replace the stimulus missing from squats/deads)
Cardio... not wasting my time, well leg press gets the HR up to 160+
Could you substitute your dips and overhead press for a decline bench (don't ask me what angle). I've been trying these for the last few weeks for no other reason than having a change and I'm finding that it hits everything pretty well but I also find that I can better stabilise with my lats and therefore get a better "break the bar" / ext rot in the shoulder. Don't know if that would help your situation mind you.

OOI, when doing the leg press, do you drive through the whole foot or more through the heel? I'm also giving it a go after several years away from it and trying to emphasise a heel drive to target the glutes more. I know it's not the ideal exercise but squats fry my quads too quickly at the moment plus my hip hinge pattern is pretty ordinary (but slowly improving).

Other than a barbell hip thrust, do you have any tips on targeting the glutes? I'm looking for something where I can really focus on technique, feeling the muscles engage as well as improving my movement patterns. One of my main problem is that I use my lower back too much and this is buggering up my perception of how the movement is actually going. Therefore I'm trying to use exercises that don't involve the LB too greatly.

Mywifesirrational

Could you substitute your dips and overhead press for a decline bench (don't ask me what angle). I've been trying these for the last few weeks for no other reason than having a change and I'm finding that it hits everything pretty well but I also find that I can better stabilise with my lats and therefore get a better "break the bar" / ext rot in the shoulder. Don't know if that would help your situation mind you.
I do like decline, a really strong movement. Current gym doesn't have one (like many don't), I occasionally jump on a seated chest press machine - put the sit up as high as possible and it turns is a quasi decline movement. Although I am finding after bench even doing something like bi/tri's (especially tri's) starts to aggravate the shoulder, I guess just fatigue related. There is a dip machine at gym, but I issue about being seen on such a poncy machine.

OOI, when doing the leg press, do you drive through the whole foot or more through the heel? I'm also giving it a go after several years away from it and trying to emphasise a heel drive to target the glutes more. I know it's not the ideal exercise but squats fry my quads too quickly at the moment plus my hip hinge pattern is pretty ordinary (but slowly improving).

Other than a barbell hip thrust, do you have any tips on targeting the glutes? I'm looking for something where I can really focus on technique, feeling the muscles engage as well as improving my movement patterns. One of my main problem is that I use my lower back too much and this is buggering up my perception of how the movement is actually going. Therefore I'm trying to use exercises that don't involve the LB too greatly.
I push through the whole foot, even favour the ball slightly, you can really tell when you get it right - even more so in barbell squats. This is also just partly how I squat/press as it feels most natural (I'm tall - maybe related??)

Are you on a 45 press or a horizontal? My fav glute exercise is 45 leg press, just put your feet as high as possible on the plate and make the back rest a little steeper, this favours the gluts significantly more than the quads. Basically it results in a great ROM at the hip, more stretch/length in gluts - resulting in greater cross bridge activity in the sarcomeres and lengthens/relaxes a few of the knee extensors that cross the hips (recfem, satoris). Unilateral/One legged if you have a deficit on one side.

You could also use one of those hip/thigh machines and do single leg extension from the hip, as long as you keep the pad above the knee so you can keep you knee bent at 90 degrees it will limit the hami's from helping too much.

On another note the age had this today about women pissing themselves during crossfit. All I can say is WTF they are doing something seriously wrong, it happens but is not common in elite womens powerlifting (at least they lift respectable weights for their mass).

http://www.dailylife.com.au/health-and-fitness/dl-fitness/watch-these-women-work-out-until-they-wet-themselves-20130626-2owtl.html

this is the vid from the article.
[video=youtube;UKzq1upNIgU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UKzq1upNIgU#at=27[/video]

my02

Likes Dirt
Yes, it's a 45 degree press. I didn't think about the steeper back angle activating the glutes more so I will give that a try. Hopefully my flexibility will allow me to.

I'm also tall so I put my feet high up on the platform. The press I'm using however has a fairly low platform however so unless I have the ball of my foot at the very top, I feel my quads too much plus it also feels awkward. Even then, I still find that my feet slip upwards. Maybe I need to wear my 510s!

Mywifesirrational

Another thing you could try is a hack squat position on a smith machine, pretty much get the feet a far bit out front and lean back into the bar for support.

I also find the plate on most 45's to not be high enough without having the toes hanging over the top.

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys! I benched 100kg today. Feels good! I quit the gym because I couldn't focus on it enough with my work schedule and I bought a power rack and oly weights.

Home gym is so awesome! No matter how hectic work is, fitting in a gym sesh is so easy when there's no travel and changing clothes and shit. I chuck on some gym pants, walk outside and gym. So quick.

If you want to workout at home, all you need is one of these bad boys and you're set. Revolution Power rack, 100kg Plastic coated olympic weights, roller bearing 1500lb oly bar, dip bars = everything you need.
249083_10152867632640261_121448847_n.jpg

WTF at that video. Is this real life?

Last edited:

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Perfect set up, am pondering doing the same thing if I can be bothered making room. what was the total cost?

Yup, that video is real, scary as that sounds.
About $1300. But that's with quality olympic bar + weights. I shopped around for ages and found a setup like this is always going to be between $1000-$1500. Anything cheaper then that is crap and its using a standard bar + steel weights.

Gym membership is cheaper for a year or two but the convenience of this and life span is win.

@nDr3w

Likes Dirt
Mirin' set up.

Stared powerlifting seriously a bit under a year ago. Numbers are up to 200kg squat, 120 bench and 230 dead @ 89kg.