Post your all mountain bike

Scott101

Likes Dirt
After 6 months of injuries and not a lot of riding I have been saving and planning this build - my ultimate trail bike. Here it is!
Don't ask me how she rides yet, as I am still recovering from a broken hand so have only played with it on the street. Its insanely plush and throws around like a 26" not a 29er. Busting to get it dirty! Only weighs in at 12.3kg too

QUOTE]

Holy hell. XX1, DBair, new Pikes, new brakes, carbon wheels. What a spec for a equally good bike!

Is that the 2014 DBair with the CS?

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You will loose your chain. Yes i know it has that wanky xx1 shit, but on a bike with that much travel they don't work. My mate just put xx1 on his new slash and after the first ride had lost his chain 5 times. he now has a chainguide like i suggested in the first place.

aanon

Likes Dirt
You will loose your chain. Yes i know it has that wanky xx1 shit, but on a bike with that much travel they don't work. My mate just put xx1 on his new slash and after the first ride had lost his chain 5 times. he now has a chainguide like i suggested in the first place.
Interesting. A mate of mine has it on his Liteville 301 and has not had one chain derailment, he reckons it's awesome.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Its all to do with your suspension curves and how much chain growth yoy get. With a fairly vertical/backwards wheel movement you should keep even or higher tension on the chain through the stroke, thereby keeping the derallieur and it's clutch working effectively.

You will run into problems if you suff er r from chain shrinkage (shortening?) Through the suspension stroke, thereby rapidly losing tension in the chain, making it easier for it to drop.

What do the slash curves look like?

zombi

Likes Bikes
heres my two am bikes, specialized pitch and a scott voltage.
I have a pitch, needs major rebuild after 5 years. Ripper of a bike. Got a 29er enduro which surprisingly feels like the pitch. Rode my pitch on two trips to thredbo. Not ideal but still handled it. Go the pitch.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its all to do with your suspension curves and how much chain growth yoy get. With a fairly vertical/backwards wheel movement you should keep even or higher tension on the chain through the stroke, thereby keeping the derallieur and it's clutch working effectively.

You will run into problems if you suff er r from chain shrinkage (shortening?) Through the suspension stroke, thereby rapidly losing tension in the chain, making it easier for it to drop.

What do the slash curves look like?
Looking at the specialized the suspension moves towards the frame like all dual suspension bikes minus afew (zerode etc). The trek also moves in the same way. On a small travel bike like a liteville this is not a problem. On a 150mm+ bike this is a problem.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Looking at the specialized the suspension moves towards the frame like all dual suspension bikes minus afew (zerode etc). The trek also moves in the same way. On a small travel bike like a liteville this is not a problem. On a 150mm+ bike this is a problem.
Wel on a 150mm+ bike you should be riding hard enough to need a guide anyway :p

Bluemutt

Likes Bikes
New build up over the weekend, mostly parts off the old ride with a new 1x10 drive train.
Going to take it to Bright for a run up and down Mystic on Tuesday.
RMS.jpg

floody

Wheel size expert
There should be no reason why the chain is any more likely to come off a Specialized vs a similar travel, FSR design bike like a liteville.

Trialsguy

Rhythm Imports
For all those skeptical about XX1 don't be, the chain has not fallen off once, and Ive had a bit of experience with it on other long travel bikes too. Its pretty amazing stuff.
It came with a guide but I removed it. Look at all the pro's racing WS Enduro on XX1 - no guides.

As for the bike... its mind blowing! The Pike has to be the best trail fork I have ever ridden. The DB Air is why I went for the S-works model. As for the geometry of this bike. Anyone who likes a playful 26 that jumps, pops, slides and generally hates 29ers - this will change your mind.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
For all those skeptical about XX1 don't be, the chain has not fallen off once, and Ive had a bit of experience with it on other long travel bikes too. Its pretty amazing stuff.
It came with a guide but I removed it. Look at all the pro's racing WS Enduro on XX1 - no guides.

As for the bike... its mind blowing! The Pike has to be the best trail fork I have ever ridden. The DB Air is why I went for the S-works model. As for the geometry of this bike. Anyone who likes a playful 26 that jumps, pops, slides and generally hates 29ers - this will change your mind.
It's obviously an incredible machine.... Evidenced by your first ride on it after injury and cranking out pb's and high ranks on Strava ;) a force I don't want to reckon with that's for sure, plus it looks outstanding!!!

How do you like the xx1 crank compared to say the carbon cranks that come on the sworks stumpy etc? Cranks and BB are the next piece of the puzzle to sort after the rear shock on my bike.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
a few upgrades since last posted. hope flows, 2.35 minions, hope race evo M4/X2, renthal fatbar lite, 55mm stem, 2014 revelation 150's... and a temporary 160 rear rotor. my larger one developed a crack.

Last edited:

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
a few upgrades since last posted. hope flows, 2.35 minions, hope race evo M4/X2, renthal fatbar lite, 55mm stem, 2014 revelation 150's... and a temporary 160 rear rotor. my larger one developed a crack.

Looks sweet mitchy. How do you like the rev compared to the fox float?

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Actually you're a little mistaken there on a couple of points:

1. Liteville 301 comes in either 140mm or 160mm (used to be a 120mm version too, but discontinued) so not sure how this qualifies as a "small" travel bike relative to 150mm rear travel?

2. Issues of chain derailment have more to do with rapid changes in effective chainstay length as the suspension compresses AND extends. To clarify, a bike with plenty of chain growth (DW-Links are a good example, as well as many other suspension styles and designs which use chain growth to mitigate suspension squat) will increase tension on the chain significantly as the suspension compresses, but when the swingarm re-extends that tension is rapidly released, creating a slack chain; this is when you're most likely to have the chain drop off, not on the compression stroke. Specialized bikes have relatively little chain growth compared to many other designs, so the overall chain tension is much more constant throughout the travel which should actually result in LESS chance of dropping the chain, not more.

FWIW. Now back on topic; nicest geo of any 29er currently on the market. I'm not generally a fan of Specialized, but the Enduro 29er is pretty damn awesome!