Rubbing shifter cables

wombat

Lives in a hole
Firstly, see if you can shorten your cables. If they're rubbing on the crown that much they're probably too long.

It may still hit the frame though, so using some protective film on the headtube is a good idea to protect the finish there.
You can also get rubber bumpers for the cables too, lots of road bikes come with them; they tend to move around and stuff though.

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
I have bee trying to find something I have tried cable ties helped a little but still have issues are the cable protectors something you buy from you LBS or an internet job ?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4

moorey

call me Mia
I have bee trying to find something I have tried cable ties helped a little but still have issues are the cable protectors something you buy from you LBS or an internet job ?

Buy a full stop or comma while you're there...

0psi

Eats Squid
LBS or internet for plastic patches.

I would find links for you but seeing as you can't take the time to construct a decent post I'm not going spend any more helping you.

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
LBS or internet for plastic patches.

I would find links for you but seeing as you can't take the time to construct a decent post I'm not going spend any more helping you.
Serious how did I not complete a decent post ?

My gramour is not the best I know that but this is MTB forum is it not ?

Or is it a MTB / jump on people with bad gramour to try humiliate the forum ?

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Serious how did I not complete a decent post ?

My gramour is not the best I know that but this is MTB forum is it not ?

Or is it a MTB / jump on people with bad gramour to try humiliate the forum ?

Grammar is taken most seriously around here. Spelling too. Moorey is our dick eating enforcer. He has powerful friends.

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
Grammar is taken most seriously around here. Spelling too. Moorey is our dick eating enforcer. He has powerful friends.
I thought the MTB community was ment to be a friendly one.

Yet every forum or fb page all I come across is rude dicks.

Powerful how what will they do ? lol

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
Firstly, see if you can shorten your cables. If they're rubbing on the crown that much they're probably too long.

It may still hit the frame though, so using some protective film on the headtube is a good idea to protect the finish there.
You can also get rubber bumpers for the cables too, lots of road bikes come with them; they tend to move around and stuff though.
Thanks for you useful imput.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I thought the MTB community was ment to be a friendly one.

Yet every forum or fb page all I come across is rude dicks.

Powerful how what will they do ? lol
The MTB community is a very friendly one. However, grammar, punctuation and decent sentence structure go a long way to making posts readable. It's often easy for the written format to be misread, so decently structured posts go a long way in avoiding that. If you don't want to be treated like a dick, please don't write like one. :smile:

Now that's out of the way, Wombat is on it. Shorten the cables for a start; you don't need enough slack to be able to spin the bars all the way around. 90 degrees either side of centre is plenty. Many bikes (should) come with a sheet of clear protective stickers, however a lot of the sticker sheets don't get out of the bike shop. If you ask your local nicely, they might be able to give you one. The individual stickers come in a range of shapes & sizes; pick the ones most suitable & put them on the frame in the wear areas. The rubber pads that ChopSticks pictured should also be pretty easy & inexpensive to pick up from your local.

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
The MTB community is a very friendly one. However, grammar, punctuation and decent sentence structure go a long way to making posts readable. It's often easy for the written format to be misread, so decently structured posts go a long way in avoiding that. If you don't want to be treated like a dick, please don't write like one. :smile:

Now that's out of the way, Wombat is on it. Shorten the cables for a start; you don't need enough slack to be able to spin the bars all the way around. 90 degrees either side of centre is plenty. Many bikes (should) come with a sheet of clear protective stickers, however a lot of the sticker sheets don't get out of the bike shop. If you ask your local nicely, they might be able to give you one. The individual stickers come in a range of shapes & sizes; pick the ones most suitable & put them on the frame in the wear areas. The rubber pads that ChopSticks pictured should also be pretty easy & inexpensive to pick up from your local.
I have no doubt that the MTB community is a great one out on the trails. For example I had a big stack last weekend that resulted in me slicing my leg open on the rocks. Every single MTB rider that saw me bleeding into my shoes offered asistance, first aid, and even help fixing my bike. That been said my online interactions are a completely different story 3 out of 10 are helpful the rest critical. I do understand that grammar is important but I still dont think I need to have rude people making smart comments about it.

But thanks for the help with the issue I originally posted about. It is starting to seem like a few parts didnt make it out the LBS on my bike.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Go into a local sign shop and get some scraps of adhesive vinyl film they use on signs. Get a colour that matches the area you want to protect. They will have heaps of scrap they will more than likely be happy to give you.

Depends if Moorey owns the shop or not but. He might make you take a spelling test first :)

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
Go into a local sign shop and get some scraps of adhesive vinyl film they use on signs. Get a colour that matches the area you want to protect. They will have heaps of scrap they will more than likely be happy to give you.

Depends if Moorey owns the shop or not but. He might make you take a spelling test first :)
That is a good idea thanks for thit tip I think that there is one near work,

moorey

call me Mia
That is a good idea thanks for thit tip I think that there is one near work,

You're shit outta luck, sunshine. I own that place near you work, as well as most others, the 'frame skin' distribution, 3m, bear and gorilla. I guess you could try sticky tape, which I currently don't own.

wombat

Lives in a hole
You're shit outta luck, sunshine. I own that place near you work, as well as most others, the 'frame skin' distribution, 3m, bear and gorilla. I guess you could try sticky tape, which I currently don't own.
Come on mate, give it a rest.

Yeah the bloke's writing in his posts could be improved, point made. He's got a valid question though and he's just looking for some advice. Not every thread here is an opportunity for you to play the comic.