Rubbing shifter cables

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Now that's out of the way, Wombat is on it. Shorten the cables for a start; you don't need enough slack to be able to spin the bars all the way around. 90 degrees either side of centre is plenty.
Really? I disagree I would much rather have slightly longer cables with the knowing that if I do spin my bars in a crash (which I seem to do often :cheer2:) I wont have ripped my gear or brakes cables out.
Just wrap some electrical tape around the section of your cables that rub on your forks, Or like chopsticks said, just smack on some clear-coat on the frame/forks. You could even use some strips of fabric........or sandpaper

moorey

call me Mia
Really? I disagree I would much rather have slightly longer cables with the knowing that if I do spin my bars in a crash (which I seem to do often :cheer2:) I wont have ripped my gear or brakes cables out.
Just wrap some electrical tape around the section of your cables that rub on your forks, Or like chopsticks said, just smack on some clear-coat on the frame/forks. You could even use some strips of fabric........or sandpaper
Depends on whether you run cables and hoses the same side of the head tube as your levers (like me), or around (like a mong). If running around head tube (like a mong), longer MAY be better, but it also depends on whether cable/hose is routed along top tube or down tube (due to angle they end on).

I always run them same side as head tube, and always run them on the shorter side than most...but I never stack and spin the bars, unlike mongs.

Oh wait, I forgot what thread this was....Can't be fixed, OP, but bear with it until it wears right through your head tube and forks, then replace them both. THERE IS NO OTHER POSSIBLE SOLUTION!!!

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depends on whether you run cables and hoses the same side of the head tube as your levers (like me), or around (like a mong). If running around head tube (like a mong), longer MAY be better, but it also depends on whether cable/hose is routed along top tube or down tube (due to angle they end on).

I always run them same side as head tube, and always run them on the shorter side than most...but I never stack and spin the bars, unlike mongs.

Oh wait, I forgot what thread this was....Can't be fixed, OP, but bear with it until it wears right through your head tube and forks, then replace them both. THERE IS NO OTHER POSSIBLE SOLUTION!!!
Fair enough, for me it seems that running short cables that will allow turn your bars to a maximum for 90 degrees falls under the fashion over function regardless of cable route, sure you can achieve a cleaner look, but that's about it. The negatives such as, crashing/pulling your brake hoses out, possibly limiting the ability to run wider bars and the possibility of having to lengthen hoses if you change frame or fork; far outweigh the positives IMHO But each to there own.....

Last edited:

camzh

Likes Dirt
I'm not sure how well it works,
but for a cheap fix i've seen people use pipe cleaners wrapped around brake and shifter cables to prevent rub marks.

can't find a pic of this tho

but something like this:

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
i always go with longer cables, crossing to the other side of the frame in front of the head tube
my cables don't touch the head tube at all
also, as suggested, clear patches work well

moorey

call me Mia
Fair enough, for me it seems that running short cables that will allow turn your bars to a maximum for 90 degrees falls under the fashion over function regardless of cable route, sure you can achieve a cleaner look, but that's about it. The negatives such as, crashing/pulling your brake hoses out, possibly limiting the ability to run wider bars and the possibility of having to lengthen hoses if you change frame or fork; far outweigh the positives IMHO But each to there own.....
Wider bars give you a smoother bend at least if routing them the same side of the head tube. I don't run them THAT short that I can't get past 90 deg though. Close to180 deg is plenty, still gives a nice neat look and I haven't ever had the cables or hoses suffer in a crash that spun the bars.
I'm a tidy bar/cockpit Nazi (lever operated dropper, 1x drivetrain and would never run a remote lockout), and when I see bikes with multiple, looping, crossed over cables and hoses...it literally gives me an anxiety attack and I feel chunks of carrot working their way up my throat...

moorey

call me Mia
but for a cheap fix i've seen people use pipe cleaners wrapped around brake and shifter cables to prevent rub marks.

but something like this:
You'd have to wrap a lot, as the cables/hoses move around when turning bars.....and they would wear the fluff off quickly and you'll have wire rubbing on your frame.....Or maybe you've just punked me... :noidea:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge

but something like this:

.......... and mitchy is now having a seizure. :faint:

camzh

Likes Dirt
Well obviously you'd wrap them neater, and maybe stick eyes on them ?

I do expect that they would wear quickly and would need to be replaced frequently..

but ohh the colour options !

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is also another option.... Just run the cables on the outside and your good to go + you would look absolutely fabulous!:cheer2:

2577461074_ca26ee75ff.jpg

moorey

call me Mia
I thought the MTB community was ment to be a friendly one.
Not me, and I AM the mtb community...

Yet every forum or fb page all I come across is rude dicks.
Yeah, must be everyone else every time....I'm not seeing a pattern which could possibly involve you..

Powerful how what will they do ? lol
Very. I could have you banned from ever riding a 2 wheeled bike again. Try me...Unicycles and tricycles could be fun though

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4
Don't get me started on tapatalk or I'll have that disabled as well..

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
Normally I would stick with the frame skin or 3m helicopter tape for high wear areas however if it was particularly bad you could always consider sugru
www.sugru.com

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
Yeah I like my cable's a little long for the same reason.
I will be chasing up the clear vinyl sticker path and also the tape on tye cables.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 4

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
Moorey, are you not riding enough at the moment? You seem quite aggressive of late; maybe someone should send you a bag of snickers rather than the usual retort.

moorey

call me Mia
Moorey, are you not riding enough at the moment? You seem quite aggressive of late; maybe someone should send you a bag of snickers rather than the usual retort.
Plenty, thanks for asking though. Ever considered that, maybe, I'm just an arse clown?