9sp chain on 10sp cassette

moorey

call me Mia
Been doing the changeover on all my bikes to 10sp clutched mechs, mainly running them as 9sp with SRAM 9sp shifters, as I keep banging on about.

Anyhoo, had a spare deore 10sp cassette and a zee shifter and seeing as I bought a pile of xtr and pg991 9sp chains a while back, I though I'd see how they went instead of a 10sp chain.

What's the worst that could happen, I thought? Too wide for spacing on cassette.... Maybe wreck a cheap cassette and a spare chain.

For the record, works perfectly. Rode 90km of trails with it on Sunday. No compatibility issues, no niggles whatsoever.

Are 9sp chains slightly stronger than 10? People seem to say so But that's not why I'm doing it. I've got spare chains and a 'fuck you!, I'll decide' arrogance, so, why not.

Anyone else tried this and got longer term reports on wear?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
First off...no I haven't tried it. However, I have looked at it in a similar cheapskate mix and match kind of way.

Primary observation is that (of course) the 10spd chain is narrower than the 9 speed chain (KMC X series) but is otherwise exactly the same so the only apparent difference is the length of the pins. So I can't for the life of me think why there should/would/could be any difference in 'strength'.

I can't think why your 9 on 10 set-up wouldn't work for the normal life of a chain provided the driveline is kept relatively sparkly and properly adjusted...just remember that it's operating slightly outside ideal parameters and manage accordingly

moorey

call me Mia
9 & 10sp have same internal width...which would suggest that plates are thinner on 10sp chain to make the overall width a little narrower? Correct me if wrong.
Wasn't a cheapskate option for once, I have new 10x chains spare, just wanted to see if it would work. The whole 9sp clutched mish mash was/is a bit if a 'fuck you' to the whole 10sp thing.... But I DO like the 11-36 cassette in a good level spec.

moorey

call me Mia
Have done a quick google on it since trying it.....all nay Sayers that I have found, but only theoretical nay Sayers..."no you can't do it, cassette is too narrow....!' Pffft, I'll decide.

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
in related news.....
i use a full 10 speed set up, but use a 9 speed split link, the 10 speed ones are IMPOSSIBLE to undo without a tool

(no dwarves/midgets/small persons were harmed in this experiment)

moorey

call me Mia
in related news.....
i use a full 10 speed set up, but use a 9 speed split link, the 10 speed ones are IMPOSSIBLE to undo without a tool

Yep. I've 'loaned' quick links to 10x mates out on the trails, and there's never been a problem...other than the fact that 10x's seem to break a hell of a lot more commonly than 9x chains. One mate had snapped 4 in 12 months, he's an old man and a light rider...who's lubing and maintenance routine in non existent. That said, equally slack 9x mates don't have the same problem :noidea:

MARKL

Eats Squid
It works fine, I have a mate that runs a 3x10 speed Reign and he snapped his 10 speed chain almost straight away, put a spare 9 speed chain on that he had lying around and it has worked perfect ever since - he has been running it this way for at least 18 months. I would have thought a 150 mm travel, 3x10 set up would have found out any compatibility issues straight away.

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
in related news.....

Same here, however I did snap a 9sp sram powerlink on a 10sp set up, but tried another one and haven't had any further problems.