Snakes

walkietalkie

Likes Dirt
Dude, scary feeling that would have been, glad you made it out just fine.

I just wanted to add to that "out of reception" comment, think it was also covered in another thread but 112 is a universal number Emergency number to call when you do not have coverage from your network, it should pick up/call on any active network that your phone can receive. Worth remembering.

I was bitten by a brown snake 3 years ago whilst riding alone. It's a scary experience.

Whatever you do once you've been bitten limit movement, apply a pressure bandage to the effected limb bitten, and if possible attempt to identify the snake , most of all do not panic. stay calm and relaxed.

I was out of phone reception, but knew there were at least 6 other riders circulating my loop, and was able to track one down after about 30 minutes. they then rode to a reception area and got me evacuated after 2 hours, and I lived happily ever after.

Make sure if you are riding alone you:

A) tell someone were you are going
B) carry first aid - not just for yourself, but for your fellow riders, hikers, anyone else.

As a side note i do not ride alone anymore, My border collie, sometimes both of them are with me, and are trained to return/retreival to my entry point and get attention if necessary.

Always be prepared, you never know when you are going to need it.

redbruce

Eats Squid
I just wanted to add to that "out of reception" comment, think it was also covered in another thread but 112 is a universal number Emergency number to call when you do not have coverage from your network, it should pick up/call on any active network that your phone can receive. Worth remembering.
Not correct.

Triple zero calls dont rely on just your own carrier network. It will operate through any active network your phone can receive.

http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Cons...-call-service-from-a-mobile-phone-faqs-i-acma

http://www.triplezero.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx

Last edited:

soontir

Likes Dirt
I rode over a red bellied black on Saturday morning.
Came around a corner and it was,at the bottim of the last decent.
Scared the crap out of me
It survived as I saw it slide away. Was around 4 foot long.
This was on the Ginger Meggs run WSRP.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Saw a little bubby one in Nerang a week back. It was the first non-red belly black I've seen here. At first I thought it was a legless lizard, but on picking it up (with a stick) it had no legs. Diagnosis Coastal Taipan. Not good to be bitten by that. Not good at all unless you like fatal neurotoxins.

jackass'd

Likes Dirt
Dude, scary feeling that would have been, glad you made it out just fine.

Not correct.

Triple zero calls dont rely on just your own carrier network. It will operate through any active network your phone can receive.

http://www.acma.gov.au/Citizen/Cons...-call-service-from-a-mobile-phone-faqs-i-acma

http://www.triplezero.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx
I believe both are actually correct

redbruce

Eats Squid
I believe both are actually correct
Both will work (112 is secondary to 000) but the claim that you use 112 when (because) there is no reception from your carrier is incorrect. 000 will also work in that situation and is the preferred choice.

From the first web link:

"Special roaming capabilities of the vast majority of mobile phones when calling 000 mean that when you are out of your service provider's coverage area but are in another carrier's mobile phone network coverage area, your call will be carried on the other carrier’s network. However, it is important to realise that if there is no mobile coverage, you will not be able to reach the Emergency Call Service via a mobile phone"

"Special capabilities, including roaming, once only existed when dialling 112, however mobile phones manufactured since January 2002 also provide these capabilities when dialling Triple Zero (000) to access the emergency call service. It is important to realise that if there is no mobile coverage on any network, you will not be able to reach the emergency call service via a mobile phone, regardless of which number you dialled. "

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
"Special capabilities, including roaming, once only existed when dialling 112, however mobile phones manufactured since January 2002 also provide these capabilities when dialling Triple Zero (000) to access the emergency call service. It is important to realise that if there is no mobile coverage on any network, you will not be able to reach the emergency call service via a mobile phone, regardless of which number you dialled. "
This. You don't need your network to make an emergency call just a network.

On my Samsung it will show 'emergency calls only' when I have no coverage from Optus but still have a signal from another carrier. Also keep in mind you don't need credit to make an emergency call, all you need is a signal (from anyone) and battery.

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
This. You don't need your network to make an emergency call just a network.

On my Samsung it will show 'emergency calls only' when I have no coverage from Optus but still have a signal from another carrier. Also keep in mind you don't need credit to make an emergency call, all you need is a signal (from anyone) and battery.
That been said i think that i may need to look into a sat phone because it is a more reliable option .

0psi

Eats Squid
That been said i think that i may need to look into a sat phone because it is a more reliable option .
I wouldn't bother. I looked into it a few years ago and the are incredibly expensive. The handsets themselves are quite pricey but where it gets very pricey is the subscription costs and call costs.

I had a bad crash earlier this year while riding in a deep valley. Bad enough that I had to call the missus to come and collect me but not quite bad enough that I wanted to bother the cavalry. Took 2km of riding before I got reception but nearly all the way I had the emergency call only sign up, only occasionally would it drop out completely.

Best option is a spot tracker or EPIRB (or distress beacon for those that want to be pedantic). Spot tracker is the best IMO as it gives you a few options including sending an SMS to a couple of numbers. Great if you have a little bit of a boo boo and want someone to collect you. Only downside is the satellite network they run on isn't as reliable as a proper EPIRB. Downside to an EPIRB is that the only option you have is call in the cavalry which is annoying if you need assistance but it isn't life threatening.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
All of your advice was perfect except for the point I've quoted above.

That is one of the worst things you can do. Not only will you potentially causing yourself to stress and exert yourself, but many people that try and identify snakes after being bitten or when someone else has been bitten, they often get bitten again.

+ aussie elapids are notoriously hard to identify. Go to a reptile forum, click on an identify this snake thread and watch the "experts" argue. The hospital will have a venom detection kit. Save yourself the stress and them the confusion of a bad ID.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
At least if you see Red Belly blacks around you won't be seeing any brown snakes as they will kill them, but I'd prefer not to see any.

Another myth. The reason you don't normally see them in the same place is they generally prefer different habitats but a big brown is just as likely to eat a smaller black as vise versa. And both species have been photoed happily curled up in the same burrow together.

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
I wouldn't bother. I looked into it a few years ago and the are incredibly expensive. The handsets themselves are quite pricey but where it gets very pricey is the subscription costs and call costs.

I had a bad crash earlier this year while riding in a deep valley. Bad enough that I had to call the missus to come and collect me but not quite bad enough that I wanted to bother the cavalry. Took 2km of riding before I got reception but nearly all the way I had the emergency call only sign up, only occasionally would it drop out completely.

Best option is a spot tracker or EPIRB (or distress beacon for those that want to be pedantic). Spot tracker is the best IMO as it gives you a few options including sending an SMS to a couple of numbers. Great if you have a little bit of a boo boo and want someone to collect you. Only downside is the satellite network they run on isn't as reliable as a proper EPIRB. Downside to an EPIRB is that the only option you have is call in the cavalry which is annoying if you need assistance but it isn't life threatening.
Yeah i have seen those and thought about them also i think i will have to look into it some more.

I have also had a couple of huge stacks while i was on my own. The worst was a walk out 7km carrying a broken bike. I had cuts and gravel rash all down my side and back and was severely concussed. My helmet was completely destroyed in the impact. Due to a high speed front rim failure catapulting me head first into a tree.

Tonestar01

Cannon Fodder
For work I have had to renew my First Aid certificate ever 3 years for the past 24 years. Here's a few tips I've learnt. In no particular order.
1. Remember this number "112". FROM YOUR MOBILE, in an emergency if you are unable to get through to emergency services via "000" phone "112" and you SHOULD get through. "112" works via satellite from your phone much like GPS so you have allot better chance when the coverage is poor. Like with GPS I understand there are still flat spots when out in the bush. Hopefully you won't be in one!
2. Before you apply your compression bandage quickly stick a "Band-Aid" over the bite site. Then at the hospital it is allot easier to test for the appropriate anti-venene.
3. Know your location - Finding you in the bush can be like finding a needle in a hay stack. Know exactly where you are if at all possible.
4. Have ID on you. What if you are unconcious? On your ID, list a few emergency contact names and numbers. If you already do, when was the last time you checked it was up to date and legible?
5. In your spares kit YOU MUST have a COMPRESSION bandage. Bandage the limb as quickly as you can and stay still if at all possible.
6. Learn First Aid.
Have fun and stay safe.

fundermental

Likes Bikes
Rode a Monday off last week, not a hot day by far low to mid 20's at most. Came across my first (and hopefully) last rather big Browny on Junction track at You Yangs. Very grateful that my brakes are reasonably strong and got me to a halt with a meter to spare.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Tonestar01

Cannon Fodder
Emergency numbers "000" vs "112" on a mobile

Thanks "Comic Book Guy" I stand corrected. I'll remember that info for my next first aid course :) Those links you provided were great thanks.