Large Shark catch and kill order WA.

0psi

Eats Squid
So Greg Pickering got attacked by a Great White off Esperance a few days ago and authorities have issued a catch and kill order for large sharks in the area. The number of attacks (including 4 fatal) in the past 2 years is crazy and well above the normal and no one really knows why.

I'm pro shark (Most of my holidays are based around chasing sharks around) but I think it's not a half bad idea. Authorities have spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out what's going on and have come up with next to nothing so I think for the moment it's a logical move, at least till they can figure out why there's been such a spike in attacks the past couple of years.

I'm keen to hear what other people's views are on this, especially those that live and dive over there. I've never been to WA myself but have heard a fair bit about the situation over there through various contacts and it's a little puzzling. I've wasted a fair portion of my life chasing sharks around, usually without a cage but I wouldn't be comfortable diving in the southern parts of WA at the moment. What's the general feeling in the air for those that live over that way?

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
It's fucking stupid to kill sharks just "Cause it was hungry and wanted a bite.

When you are swimming in the ocean you are nothing more than food for sharks. You are on their food list..

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I am so anti the idea of killing a shark because it chomped on some dude. I don't think it is a decision human's have any right to make. I'd be one of those people who would do what I can in my power to stop someone killing a shark if I was in a position to do so. It's disgusting and bothers me a lot.
If stupid humans see it as fit to kill a shark (or take a rough guess at which shark it was and kill it anyway) because it harmed or killed a person then why is it still to this day so incredibly hard to put a death sentence on a person who has been proven to have killed another person and had the intention to do it? Humans, stupid stupid humans. For all the good we can do we still make some massively stupid decisions.

If you don't want your arse bitten off by a shark then stay the fuck out of the ocean.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Use something like this?

http://www.sharkshield.com/

Killing sharks is such a stupid "human" response...
Ha, Ha. After a huge amount of research into them the answer seems to be there is no real proof either way.

I have one for when I dive over Port Lincoln way for work but only to keep my wife happy....

As to a limited shark cull it is a tough one. My job is Marine conservation so a big part of my says no. But I don't live and dive in WA....

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's fucking stupid to kill sharks just "Cause it was hungry and wanted a bite.

When you are swimming in the ocean you are nothing more than food for sharks. You are on their food list..

You are not on their food list at all - just that when a curious GW wants to have a look at what you are it can end up being fatal. GW's never 'eat' the person being attacked.

That said - you are in their environment and that brings risks.

I've stayed at this blokes house in Gansbaai - nuts the things he does.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Rutzen

In Cape Town there is/was a lot of controversy regarding shark diving, but that seems to have calmed down a bit.

I'm anti killing sharks - it's stupid - we are not their food, there is no such thing as a man eating shark.

My wifes old man has some wicked stories about GWs - out surfing one day and one came and parked itself right under the nose of his longboard. He reckons wing tip to wing tip it was 3 meters!!

0psi

Eats Squid
I am so anti the idea of killing a shark because it chomped on some dude.
The thing is it didn't just chomp on some dude, it chomped on several dudes and killed a few more dudes. This is just the straw that broke the camels back so to speak.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The thing is it didn't just chomp on some dude, it chomped on several dudes and killed a few more dudes. This is just the straw that broke the camels back so to speak.
Have you ever seen a group of seals with Judge wigs on and some reading glasses having a meeting to decide whether they should gang up on a shark and kill it?

moorey

call me Mia
I'm going to play this old chestnut.... (low hanging fruit, I know, but has to be mentioned)
How many people die in car accidents?
How many die from alcohol consumption?
How many die from tobacco...?
How many die on the footy/rugby field?
How many.....ahhh you get the picture.

Its a known risk, you swim in the ocean, you roll the dice. How many people swim V how many killed? The number would be a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent.

Its moronic to suggest a large shark cull just because a few people are attacked each year. Sharks are a top predator, an essential part of the food chain...and a kick arse cool animal.

Ask any shark attack victim if they want sharks killed?

FUCK, I really hate humans :tsk:

moorey

call me Mia
These fuckers kill more people than sharks, and are the ONLT animal/insect I can bring myself to harm (and that's only because they are rampant on my bush block, and my son has a severe anaphylactic reaction to them.

A Tasmanian survey had shown stings from jack jumper ants (M. pilosula – see section on venomous ants below) were the single most important cause of hospital admissions for anaphylaxis. Not only did they outnumber admissions from allergies to foods like peanuts, but the reactions tended to be more severe.
Jack jumper, hopper ant, jumping jackM. pilosula species complex (pictured left) – There are at least five different species located in Tasmania, South Australia, Victoria, ACT, NSW (from the Snowy Mountains up to Armidale in northern NSW) and Western Australia.
This group is responsible for about 90 per cent of anaphylaxis in Australia, particularly in Tasmania. Researchers from the AAVAS have developed a highly effective desensitisation treatment for people allergic to the M. pilosula species found in Tasmania.

Last edited:

0psi

Eats Squid
These fuckers kill more people than sharks, and are the ONLT animal/insect I can bring myself to harm (and that's only because they are rampant on my bush block, and my son has a severe anaphylactic reaction to them.
You moved into their territory what did you expect to happen?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I also have a some special pebbles that do the same thing. I had them blessed by a witch doctor in Trinidad. Must work because I've never been attacked by a shark. . . .

Placebo's are a wonderful thing, especially when you can make money out of them.
I don't know much about the effectiveness of these things - can you show me the evidence that they *don't* work?

moorey

call me Mia
You moved into their territory what did you expect to happen?
Its a fair point on the face of it, but didn't know until after we built, and didn't know the lad would be one of those (1 in 30), who react to the venom.

That said, are humans a land animal or an aquatic animal? Its a long bow you are drawing...

0psi

Eats Squid
I don't know much about the effectiveness of these things - can you show me the evidence that they *don't* work?
To be fair most of the evidence I've heard saying that they don't work is fairly anecdotal, having said that the evidence that it does work is much the same.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Ah, isn't Gregg pickering one of the more prominent members of this forum who works in an aquatic environment? Not joking here.