I don't think the trails I like to ride exist in Australia.

aero165

Likes Dirt
I'm going to have a whinge here...

I come from a skatepark and BMX track background and have only been riding full suspension rigs for 5 or so years now.

I ride a 6" travel, trail bike. I love riding downhill tracks, but loathe the rock gardens that you get on downhill tracks. I find them too tiring on shorter travel bikes and pointless.

I love the flowy, jump-style riding of BMX tracks but seriously miss the push that gravity gives you. I want more trails like Cressy Decent at the You Yangs or more Whistler-type trails!

I guess I just want to ride slopestyle / flow trails and I know of a lot more riders out there who are wanting to ride these type of trails (Copperhead doesn't count).

Is it just me or, when you look around on the internet in other countries the classic downhill track is evolving to have a bigger flow aspect?

No?

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's a few scattered around. This is oxy:

[video=youtube;iZ0CVzAipDc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ0CVzAipDc[/video]

Think there's more trails you're after in Radelaide, and Outlooks on the Goldy pretty close to what you're wanting also.

Last edited:

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I ride it heaps. I'm actually still wearing my riding gear now after a quick nip down there.

I've just started slowly building it into a flowy-er track.
Yeah I had noticed some one was having a bit of a dig, dont add anything just fix whats there ;-) In saying that some of the take offs are just placed wrong one and they suck to hit.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Dh trails always haveflow but they have rough flow haha.

Nothing annoys me more than dh trails adopting slope style sections that's are all smooth and turns out to be super smooth flowy. you need to work the trail pump and find the flow in the difficult terrain that's what makes it so fun and difficult.

I agree we have seen many trails adopt very groomed flow sections which I see totally backwards (unless it is used to maintain speed across a crappy part of trail that is pointless than I'd much rather flows groomed than a pedal. But if Downhill starts getting groomed ill cry.

Can't help with any trails around though. Build one ya self?

teK--

Eats Squid
Dh trails always haveflow but they have rough flow haha.

Nothing annoys me more than dh trails adopting slope style sections that's are all smooth and turns out to be super smooth flowy. you need to work the trail pump and find the flow in the difficult terrain that's what makes it so fun and difficult.

I agree we have seen many trails adopt very groomed flow sections which I see totally backwards (unless it is used to maintain speed across a crappy part of trail that is pointless than I'd much rather flows groomed than a pedal. But if Downhill starts getting groomed ill cry.

Can't help with any trails around though. Build one ya self?
Need a mix of all types of terrain, groomed flow, technical rock gardens, a few gap jumps through in for good measure. That is why Cressy is probably my favorite track in Melbourne followed closely by Travs Descent.

serge0007

Likes Dirt
Need a mix of all types of terrain, groomed flow, technical rock gardens, a few gap jumps through in for good measure. That is why Cressy is probably my favorite track in Melbourne followed closely by Travs Descent.
Where is Travs ??

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Hi Aero,

The other option is to work toward creating / building the trail how you envision it. Yep it will take lots of work, though will be massively rewarding, but I'm sure if you build it they will come.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Yeah but I don't think there should be big sections of groomed flow, flow bits should be to transverse between sections and to use as fillers, this grooming is plenty enough for any trail as there will be a decent amount. Tracks now days are becoming too groomed and making these sections a big part or major component, dh is not slope style or 4x or djing, the pedalling flow bits in wc tracks are always hatted by riders too haha.this method ensures flow between an through sections without making it stupid massive features.

Jumps for sure but none of that vert crap that srubs all ya speed off, gotta be proper
Race jumps.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for a flow trail
But it doesn't belong on a dh track or a race track. It should be its own thing. I love a good flow trail on my dh rig but it does not belong on a dh track as a major feature,

Last edited:

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
I'm going to have a whinge here...

I come from a skatepark and BMX track background and have only been riding full suspension rigs for 5 or so years now.

I ride a 6" travel, trail bike. I love riding downhill tracks, but loathe the rock gardens that you get on downhill tracks. I find them too tiring on shorter travel bikes and pointless.

I love the flowy, jump-style riding of BMX tracks but seriously miss the push that gravity gives you. I want more trails like Cressy Decent at the You Yangs or more Whistler-type trails!
Most downhill tracks will have rock gardens. They're hard to ride fast which is precisely why they're a good feature on DH tracks. I don't think Cressy Descent would be considered a 'real' downhill track.

I guess I just want to ride slopestyle / flow trails and I know of a lot more riders out there who are wanting to ride these type of trails (Copperhead doesn't count).

Is it just me or, when you look around on the internet in other countries the classic downhill track is evolving to have a bigger flow aspect?

No?
Sounds like you might be after more groomed All-Mountain tracks with decent sized jumps, which, with the current Enduro craze, shouldn't be too hard to find.