WEMBO - 2013 World Solo 24Hr Championships Canberra

softek

Likes Dirt
My partner raced in the Elite Female category, it was her first solo 24 and after leading for something like 10 hours she managed to pick up 3rd place, she has penned a few words about her experience here.
that was an awesome read bro, truly amazing feat, and to get a podium, beyond some wildest dreams that is. well done

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
great stories.

looking at Jason E's results Km Ridden: 456.03, was that 200 metres per lap at stromlo? so 5400 metres climbed?

of course extraordinary effort from anyone who started this bonus if you finished.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After racing the our local SA 24hr in May I told my family I was done with solo 24s. Just too hard, hurt too much, not enjoying....
I spent some time over winter in Europe and did a few races there. When I got back a friend I was out riding with mentioned a mutual friend was heading to WEMBO. I had forgotten all about the race but a little seed was planted in my head - maybe 1 more solo 24????
I was planning to ride an 18 hour race 4 weeks before WEMBO so decided I would make the call after that. Driving home from the 18 hr I decided not to ride WEMBO....
But the thought was still in my head- worlds, Australia, a chance to finish my unfinished business from 2010 worlds.
I made a few calls and sorted a ride over for myself and 2 bikes and organised flights for Mark my trusty 1 man crew.
I'm in!

I planned to take the race as it came, unsure if I could even ride thru the night as the previous 2 24s and 18s I have slept a bit.
The start was pretty slow as I was at the back of the age groups and traffic was slow with a lots of stops up the 1st climb for all the riders to file thru. I settled into a good pace for a few hours and around 5pm swapped to my spare bike with lights. 5 mins into the lap I flatted. Back on the bike I was getting bad foot pain and swapped bike and shoes at the end of the lap and got a jacket. I was getting tired, sore and my usual 6-8 hour low where I know I still have 18 hours more to ride....
A few laps latter my foot pain was so bad I to stop mid lap and take my shoes off for a few minutes which seemed to help a lot.
At the end of the lap Mark passed me his phone, my wife was calling from home. She had been following lap times and told me I needed to speed up. Give me 3 mins a lap faster times she said, you can do it, get going...
At that point I was in 14th in 45-49s.
It seemed like I flicked a switch, I dropped about 7 mins off the next lap and for the next 10 laps I was riding 1:10 laps, rolling thru the pit while grabbing a bottle and vegemite sandwich and gel.
The night was fantastic and I was really enjoying the race. I did half a lap without being passed and just felt really strong.
It was great to chat with Jason E a few times as he went past for a few mins until he pulled away. Seeing the different riding styles of guys like Corey who I am sure lost a lot of time to Jason from line choice. Wondering how long Ed could stay SO far in front. Catching Eliza in the morning on the last climb and seeing her disappear down the other side, that girl can ride.
As morning came I was still going OK and had made up some places. The last laps were hard with back pain and my feet again giving big problems. 2nd last lap I slowed a bit because I really didn't want to have time to do an extra lap.
I finished at 12:06 with 20 laps knowing I had ridden the best ride of my life, 7th in the world in age Cat. Expectations exceeded.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
great stories.

looking at Jason E's results Km Ridden: 456.03, was that 200 metres per lap at stromlo? so 5400 metres climbed?

of course extraordinary effort from anyone who started this bonus if you finished.
closer to 400M a lap, my garmin went flat on lap 15 and showed 5118M.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
After racing the our local SA 24hr in May I told my family I was done with solo 24s. Just too hard, hurt too much, not enjoying....
I spent some time over winter in Europe and did a few races there. When I got back a friend I was out riding with mentioned a mutual friend was heading to WEMBO. I had forgotten all about the race but a little seed was planted in my head - maybe 1 more solo 24????
I was planning to ride an 18 hour race 4 weeks before WEMBO so decided I would make the call after that. Driving home from the 18 hr I decided not to ride WEMBO....
But the thought was still in my head- worlds, Australia, a chance to finish my unfinished business from 2010 worlds.
I made a few calls and sorted a ride over for myself and 2 bikes and organised flights for Mark my trusty 1 man crew.
I'm in!

I planned to take the race as it came, unsure if I could even ride thru the night as the previous 2 24s and 18s I have slept a bit.
The start was pretty slow as I was at the back of the age groups and traffic was slow with a lots of stops up the 1st climb for all the riders to file thru. I settled into a good pace for a few hours and around 5pm swapped to my spare bike with lights. 5 mins into the lap I flatted. Back on the bike I was getting bad foot pain and swapped bike and shoes at the end of the lap and got a jacket. I was getting tired, sore and my usual 6-8 hour low where I know I still have 18 hours more to ride....
A few laps latter my foot pain was so bad I to stop mid lap and take my shoes off for a few minutes which seemed to help a lot.
At the end of the lap Mark passed me his phone, my wife was calling from home. She had been following lap times and told me I needed to speed up. Give me 3 mins a lap faster times she said, you can do it, get going...
It seemed like I flicked a switch, I dropped about 7 mins off the next lap and for the next 10 laps I was riding 1:10 laps, rolling thru the pit while grabbing a bottle and vegemite sandwich and gel.
The night was fantastic and I was really enjoying the race. I did half a lap without being passed and just felt really strong.
It was great to chat with Jason E a few times as he went past for a few mins until he pulled away. Seeing the different riding styles of guys like Corey who I am sure lost a lot of time to Jason from line choice. Wondering how long Ed could stay SO far in front. Catching Eliza in the morning on the last climb and seeing her disappear down the other side, that girl can ride.
As morning came I was still going OK and had made up some places. The last laps were hard with back pain and my feet again giving big problems. 2nd last lap I slowed a bit because I really didn't want to have time to do an extra lap.
I finished at 12:06 with 20 laps knowing I had ridden the best ride of my life, 7th in the world in age Cat. Expectations exceeded.
Brilliant Steve.
I hadn't heard how you went.
Hopefully you've emerged OK out of the pain cave...

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
great stories.

That doesn't sound right. In 2010 JE did around 12,000 vertical.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That doesn't sound right. In 2010 JE did around 12,000 vertical.
yes that was based on 200m per lap, someone above said 400m so he went up Mt Everest once (8,848 m) ran out of single track, descended and was on his way to base camp (5,364 metres) when the 24hr mark sounded.

fergo

Likes Dirt
Wives can be pretty motivational. Well done on a great ride and finishing what you started!

Cornik

Likes Bikes
Here is a bit of a spiel --- apoligise for the spelling ect as writing quickly during lunch

The morning before the race was going to plan take it easy and drop out a couple of nervous poo’s before the race. Got my gear on and heading to the start line with the support crew, wifie and kids. Sitting waiting for the start gun was nice looking around and the colours and people then struck up a chat with a bloke who has flown in from Spain and competing in his 20th 24hr race, nice bloke too, then spent the next 10mins hoping that my sphinct will last out the race. The start was on and tried to take it as easy as possible. I remember once reading about a bloke who actually didn’t mind climbing in mtb races, I have now turned into that tosser as I did not mind the climb at all, or the beginning of the climb as it was nice and smooth. A good looking body then appeared in a bikini which was great, I managed to get a high five from her as I rode by with the lingering thought left in my head that we could have a quickie in the bushes (sorry wife the impure thoughts, they are honestly due to the exhaustion) Day turned into night and was getting sick of promite sambo’s and looking forward to a bit of Pizza. Only for the Pizza to be all eaten so was on to option 2 of noodles which were probably better anyway. I was onto my 9th lap and my helper was on his 8th beer I said he need to pick up the pace a bit, he mentioned to me that I should shut up giving advice and why I was so tight only to buy one case of beer for the ‘help’. That gave me a smile and off into the night we went. Next lap a bloke was going off his head somewhere after the transition he was going fu%k – Fu&*k – fu%^k yelling at the top of his lungs – weird stuff happens in Canberra –
Nothing that interesting happened for the rest of the night other that how good a wee can feel when you are busting and how nice it is to do a wee in the bush looking at the star’s. The sun then came up with a huge relief, the track was now supposed to become clearer and riding would become fun again – yea right. My eye’s become very sore to match the rest of my body (but not as sore as the sphinct), the sun was up but the track was not any clearer, by the time I got back to transition it was like I was looking under water without any goggles, (I put it down to the impure thoughts about the bikini lady earlier – karma -). The support team said “suck it up princess” and do another lap -- righto then off I went. The eyes got worse and now had trouble locating rocks and depressions in the track so needless to say the next 17klm was full of crashes one into a tree one into a rock and another one into nothing!! Can’t explain the last one!! Back into transition bleeding and more winging from me and abuse at anyone who came near. Time to go to medical tent – . Got the eyes washed out and was told it was due to the irritation of the dust and some other stuff that I was not listening to other than the line from the medico that if the eyes do not get better by tonight then I will need to go to hospital. That was the best news as I now have forgotten all about my bum being so sore – back onto the bike. --

More to come later

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Sportograf Full Photo Set Available

You can view and order photos from the race from the links to Sportograf on the WEMBO Rider Info Pack page.

Given that this was a solo event, and that Sportograf have their deal where you can purchase all photos of yourself for around $30, this works out to about 35 cents per photo if you're Jason english ...

Last edited:

softek

Likes Dirt
I'm in!

well done Steve, great effort to finish bud, just thinking about it is insane

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome. Lucky man.
yes I am.

My wife stayed up most of the night, checking times and updating Mark with current times of myself and other riders so I knew gaps etc. Always tricky to get the info when you roll thru transitions though....

It is a big ask on families to ride a 24 solo. Training up to 20 hours a week and being pretty focused on the race for months. Taking off in the middle of school holidays....

My 7 yr old daughter drew me loads of pictures with trophies, and best rider in the world. A go, go Dad to put on my bike. It's all gold!

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Nice write up Jason. Do you have any idea what caused your issues? I was watching your progress and wondered what happened. It was amazing how fast you fell down the board.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Nice write up Jason. Do you have any idea what caused your issues? I was watching your progress and wondered what happened. It was amazing how fast you fell down the board.
Not sure?? My legs felt fine no issues or pain, its just the body came to an abrupt stop. Which you can see on my heart rate graph it just drops 10-15bpm. Need to go and look at the white board and see what my food intake was like around the 2-3hrs beforehand.

It could also have been caused by my brother stopped drinking Bourbon & Coke from around 4am onwards and as a consequence I did to! Because every 2nd lap when I stopped to top up food etc I was having a few mouthfuls of Beam & coke at these opportunities

Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Not sure?? My legs felt fine no issues or pain, its just the body came to an abrupt stop. Which you can see on my heart rate graph it just drops 10-15bpm. Need to go and look at the white board and see what my food intake was like around the 2-3hrs beforehand.

It could also have been caused by my brother stopped drinking Bourbon & Coke from around 4am onwards and as a consequence I did to! Because every 2nd lap when I stopped to top up food etc I was having a few mouthfuls of Beam & coke at these opportunities
Ok. I've locked that away "never stop drinking".

bear the bear

Is a real bear

Quiggs,
You rode a great race and be proud of second. I would like to think that I contributed to your eventual collapse (sorry I'm a sadistic b@stard).
I had conceded 1st until I rolled up on you on lap 22, I could see the world of hurt you were in and felt your pain when I passed. It was a moment of euphoria and sadness at the same time.

David