Fat Bike Carrier

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
It's pleasing to see the popularity of fat bikes increasing because they are a fantastic bike to get out and have a ball wherever you are and over just about any sort of terrain. We have been using Fat Bikes for years to explore remote areas around Australia where conventional bicycles are inappropriate or unreadable.

Travelling with a fat bike presents unique challenges to the bicycle carrier designer because these bicycles have huge volume tyres compared to those on traditional road and mountain bikes. It only takes a rough road to realise that supporting a fat bike by the frame is not a satisfactory way to transport the bike and that support at each wheel is mandatory. When the going gets rough however, these tyres flex and allow movement of the bicycle and depending upon the road or track conditions, harmonic vibration frequencies cause unwanted and uncontrolled movement. To add further complexity to the equation, one *must* allow for a tyre going flat during the journey. It's no good loading a bike on with both tyres inflated and getting to the end of a days drive only to find that they tyre and rim are damaged because a tyre has gone flat.

The ISI solution has been and continues to be superior to every other carrier product on the planet and completely solves these issue - without the use of straps and buckles. Each wheel support cradle supports and stabilises each wheel at four contact points. This is a significant innovation and delivers a highly effective solution whilst meeting the ISI design target for total ease of use and hassle free deployment of the bicycles wherever and whenever the operator desires - in seconds.

This innovative wheel support cradle design also has a hidden benefit to the long distance traveller because this cradle continues to support and stabilise a wheel even if that tyre goes flat during the journey. Unlike traditional bicycle tyres, the transition from inflated to flat results in a significant change in wheel position. By maintaining the four contact points per wheel, even with a flat tyre, the ISI Fat bike wheel support cradle protects the tyre and tube and eliminates the risk of further damage of pinch flat or "snake bite" damage to the tyre and tube.

Our reasoning is that if you're going to the effort of driving into rough and remote regions for fat bike adventure, the ISI bicycle carrier does its best to protect the bike and provide every opportunity to have a perfectly ridable bicycle when you get there.

With the transport loads through the bicycle wheels, a special zero load Fat Finger frame support cradle is designed to simply keep the bicycle upright - gently.

Fat Finger frame cradles are manufactured from solid steel rod to eliminate the high frequency vibrations at the frame contact point whilst driving at speed over corrugated roads. ISI also designed, tooled and extruded a new rubber profile that has a very wide contact area, is super flexy, very tough and oh so gentle. Just sensational on thin wall hydro formed alloy and fine weave carbon fibre frames. These cradles are a level above our excellent double padded cradles.

None of the commercially available rubber compounds and profiles satisfied our demanding requirements for high UV resistance, vibration isolation and wide and soft contact so we designed and extruded our own custom rubber that is head and shoulders superior to every other bicycle carrier product on the planet. Off the shelf round rubber just doesn't cut it I'm afraid.

A special section soft, supple and super durable rubber compound is specified on the contact layer with the bicycle frame. Along with generous thickness and wide, flat contact area, the special rubber acts as a highly effective vibration isolator. The good news doesn't end there either. This special ISI rubber compound activates with vibration and the wide contact area exhibits mild adhesive properties so that the contact patch on the bicycle frame remains in contact at all times for zero rubbing.

Any movement is taken up inside the rubber support layer for the maximum support and protection of the bicycle frame and pressure on the frame all but eliminated. The ultimate protection for titanium, carbon and thin wall alloy frames.

All of this effort and engineering that goes into the ISI Fat Bike Support System isn't wasted on a road based passenger vehicle either. There are no compromises in versatility and convenience - and the fact that the carrier's operational parameters far exceed those of a road based application are a bonus and flexibility for the future.

Fat bikes offer the adventurer a whole new range of riding and exploration opportunities and open up a new world of fun. Traditionally designed for snow, these exciting bicycles are perfect for sand and a whole range of surfaces that have been out of bounds to the off-road cyclist. Here at ISI we love to get away and explore and our products are designed to encourage other like minded adventurers to get away from the crowds and experience the best that our planet has to offer. Fat bike support is available on for all of our bicycle carrier products and now whenever we travel up into the rough parts of the country, there's always at least one fat bike on board.

I have no doubt that we have travelled further into remote and harsh areas with Fat Bikes on board than any other bicycle carrier manufacture in the world. Indeed, over the years we've developed and refined bicycle carrier solutions that completely solve issues that other manufacturers have not yet identified - let alone understood and I have full confidence when I say that "ISI is the world's leading manufacture of Fat Bike carrier systems".

Deep in the Northern Kimberley

Exploring coastal tracks and trails

Out in for a blast in the High Country

Getting in amongst some snow

Kicking back along the easy rolling trails of the Murray River

Australian dead heart

Heading out for the Simpson Desert race

The best thing is delivering the right bicycle carrier product to allow enthusiasts all over the world to get out there and enjoy the best riding adventures on the planet.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I reckon you just wanted to show off your new Ti fatty ?

Awesome racks, owned one for 2 years now and its done about 15,000km on long trips.... hopefully the Simpson 2014 if everything goes to plan, will know in the next few months.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
I reckon you just wanted to show off your new Ti fatty ?

Awesome racks, owned one for 2 years now and its done about 15,000km on long trips.... hopefully the Simpson 2014 if everything goes to plan, will know in the next few months.
Hey Billy! You'd be starting your 2nd month of training now if you're going to do the Simpson race next year. You'll have some stiff competition :)

Look what I found.....

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Wanna give me a sweet deal on an Isi ?

Would be good advertising on the back of the FJ !
Creaky, *every* sale to a Rotorburn member is a sweet deal.

We don't advertise on our carriers though. No product branding at all. I'd rather people speak with the vehicle owner who does the best job of promoting the product than any paid incentive. All we ask is honesty in return.

The FJ Cruiser and our carriers are a perfect basis to travel wherever you like and the bikes are never in the way of living out of the rear of the car for months at a time. Plenty of room for Fat Bikes too.

Relax and enjoy the journey.

crazyjose

Likes Dirt
I'd put one on the back of my Vito just to show off my Mukluk and soon to arrive Trek Farley, However I would be worried about some P plater piling in the back of my van whose too busy playing with his smartphone or too interested in my unusual looking bike, I like the product though.:target:

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
I'd put one on the back of my Vito just to show off my Mukluk and soon to arrive Trek Farley, However I would be worried about some P plater piling in the back of my van whose too busy playing with his smartphone or too interested in my unusual looking bike, I like the product though.:target:
Ah yes, two fat bikes are always better than one.

Mate I would love to have the back of the car given a smack - ideally around the time when new bike model stocks arrive in the country. The only thing better than an insurance company paying for a new bike is when that insurance company can go for anyone who drives without paying attention - not just kids.

The back of the Vito and VW Transporter is an easy solution, highly effective and the vehicle is a perfect base to make the most of Fat Bikes and that wonderful beach lifestyle. The owner of Bike Bag Dude business for example has his set up so very well sorted.

A pair of the new breed of 5" wide Fat Bikes on our compact 4x4 carrier with a 40 Degree departure angle. Seconds to flip the PoziLock latch on the carrier's pivot base, lower the carrier and get into the back of the car without having to touch the bikes on the back. Dead easy.

The van's cargo area is free to do whatever you like with it and can keep it clear and clean.

Get out and have a ball.

It's not hard to do it right, enjoy the ride and never have to put up with hassle.

Last edited:

badtreefrog

Likes Bikes
Will work for rides on Muru Fatbike!

Hey George,

I have been eyeing off a Muru for ages and here you have one - with suspension! Give me a call and maybe I could come and work for you - willing to accept payment in fatbike rides!

Kendall

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Hey George,

I have been eyeing off a Muru for ages and here you have one - with suspension! Give me a call and maybe I could come and work for you - willing to accept payment in fatbike rides!

Kendall

Kendall! Come and borrow this one if you like. Have the Mukluk for K as well. The fork is a prototype Eyre fork from Salted bikes in Sydney. Totally transforms the bike - a good thing.

There's always a job here for you big guy. The lead up to the Cup Day long weekend has been tough to keep up with and this week is nuts. Christmas demand has already doubled production this month so it's going to be brutal again. Do you mind PMing your number? - and let's chat.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Some times I just wish that the industry would take things seriously and actually consider a solution before releasing fat bike product to a trusting public. We're seeing bike rack manufacturers slap a wide wheel support on their products and there you go, a fat bike carrier. That is so naive and clearly demonstrates a lack of experience - bordering on the irresponsible in some case - especially if they tag their product as being off-highway worthy.

Travelling with a fat bike presents unique challenges to the bicycle carrier designer because these bicycles have huge volume tyres compared to those on traditional road and mountain bikes. When the going gets bumpy, these tyres flex and allow movement of the bicycle. Depending upon the road or track conditions, harmonic vibration frequencies cause unwanted and uncontrolled movement. Think of each tyre as a spring with no effective damping.

To add further complexity to the equation, one *must* allow for a tyre going flat during the journey. It's no good loading a bike on with both tyres inflated and getting to the end of a days drive only to find that they tyre and rim are damaged because a tyre has gone flat.

From thorough engineering design and direct experience, the above design is the most effective support for a fat bike tyre. Especially when the tyre has low pressure. Four contact points are critical if you plan to venture off the smooth highway for any length of time. We often travel with under 5psi in each fat tyre and that seems to be beyond comprehension for bike rack manufacturers.

Another important aspect is using straps to support a bike. A fat bike in combination with a strap to retain any part of the bike will vibrate and eventually fail. A strap buckle that experiences cyclic loads from fat tyres bouncing will loosen the buckle over the course of a trip and result in compromised bicycle retention - and high risk of frame damage. People have been bugging us for our frame support cradle rubber to replace other brand carrier rubber that just gets hammered. It's not only the inferior round section rubber used on other carriers, it's the strap that contributes to the problem.

While I'm on about the frame support cradles, we're seeing the same tube hook technology being used on fat bikes. Please... Add some mass to that contact patch. Fat Finger frame cradles are manufactured from solid steel rod to eliminate the high frequency vibrations at the frame contact point whilst driving at speed over corrugated roads. ISI also designed, tooled and extruded a new rubber profile that has a very wide contact area, is super flexy, very tough and oh so gentle. Just sensational on thin wall hydro formed alloy and fine weave carbon fibre frames that we're increasingly seeing on fat bikes.

We don't go to these lengths of product design and manufacture just to be different. We do it because as old-school engineers, this is the right solution.

I have no doubt that we have travelled further into remote and harsh areas with Fat Bikes on board than any other bicycle carrier manufacture on the planet. Indeed, over the years we've developed and refined bicycle carrier solutions that completely solve issues that other manufacturers have not yet identified - let alone understood and I have full confidence when I say that "ISI is the world's leading manufacture of Fat Bike carrier systems". The Fat bike sensation is a whole new world that demonstrates that traditional bicycle carrier designs are not only inappropriate but down right lazy.

Had my beef now.

Over here horse, here's the water. Now drink, drink.