The Photo Snob Thread

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Second this. It needs to be blown up HUGE on metallic paper and acrylic face-mounted then hung on a feature wall in a sexy modern house. THAT good dude.
Either that or sold to Apple to use as the background on the next iMac advertisement so you can retire and travel shooting more of the same...

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Second this. It needs to be blown up HUGE on metallic paper and acrylic face-mounted then hung on a feature wall in a sexy modern house. THAT good dude.
Isn't it amazing how simple this shot looks yet how visually appealing it is. It draws me in further and further into the scene.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Maybe it's because I'm on my phone and not a full res screen. But couldn't you just shoot at max DOF instead of focus stacking?

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Sorry to take this off the topic of excellent photos…

I've got a few things for sale if anyone's interested, all of them in excellent condition (the 40mm and fisheye used literally a handful of times):

- Canon 1DMk3 body. $1350
- Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS lens. $900
- Canon 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens. $120
- Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 lens. $450
- Aquatech DV-4MkII underwater housing with pistol grip, Aquatech LP-1 dome lens port for fisheye lenses and LP-5 flat port for 40mm/50mm lenses. Have both the slide plates and back plates to fit either the 1D3 or 1D2N. $1600

Will sell the camera body and housing/ports together for $2800 ($150 saving), or the camera body, housing/ports and fisheye lens together $3150 ($250 saving).

Here's a couple of shots if anyone's interested…sorry the white balance is off, Callan.

Feel free to message/call/email me if you'd like more photos or information - tristan.cardew@hotmail.com or 0405 661 611.

HousingBody.jpg

1d3back.jpg 1d3front.jpg

70200full.jpg Tokina.jpg

Last edited:

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Sorry for the late reply guys, thanks again for the words!

Craig told me about the trip Andrew..... so not jealous
Should be amazing, cant wait to see some shots
Cheers man, i'm hoping it's epic, we'll see!

Where was this taken? Is it possible to get a high-res version for personal use as a wallpaper?

Thanks!
G'day kl3ggy, I saw your pm, will reply shortly mate. It was taken near Harden, NSW

Maybe it's because I'm on my phone and not a full res screen. But couldn't you just shoot at max DOF instead of focus stacking?
Hey mate, I was thinking of a couple of things with this shot. I had some time waiting for the light so I did something I don't normally do, and take a selfie!

Firstly it was actually shot at f/11, and I wanted to avoid risking any diffraction in this case, and as you can see the wheat in the foreground was right there, within a foot or so forward of the lens, so I knew even shooting at f/16 or below at full size wasn't going to get the depth. I did try it that low to confirm. Secondly at that time I was wary of the shutter speed, every so often a slight breeze came through so I didn't want to shoot things too slow. The timing involved a little bit of luck as I obviously need multiple frames with as little movement between them as possible.

Tristan, you make me all warm, and fuzzy... warm and fuzzy like a bear...

Naaailed it! Wheat fields are definitely one of my favourite subjects. Particularly when done well, as you have done.

One from me - the colour version of one what was well-received in b&w http://www.flickr.com/photos/benjamin-h/10901911445/
Cheers Ben!

Those shots are epic man, I spent some time switching between the B&W and colour versions, for some reason they convey slightly different feels to me, the B&W with a little more soul and the extreme atmosphere to me. Well done!

Does anybody have any experience with Belay Jackets? I'm looking at the RAB Generator Alpine, although i've been in cool conditions I havn't really been in conditions as cold as the Pacific North west, and northern Canada in Winter, so I want to be sure my layiering system is solid, and I'll probably hire some stuff for the Yukon. Ben, Angus i'm looking your way...

Last edited:

tu plang

knob
Sorry for the late reply guys, thanks again for the words!

Cheers man, i'm hoping it's epic, we'll see!

G'day kl3ggy, I saw your pm, will reply shortly mate. It was taken near Harden, NSW

Hey mate, I was thinking of a couple of things with this shot. I had some time waiting for the light so I did something I don't normally do, and take a selfie!

Firstly it was actually shot at f/11, and I wanted to avoid risking any diffraction in this case, and as you can see the wheat in the foreground was right there, within a foot or so forward of the lens, so I knew even shooting at f/16 or below at full size wasn't going to get the depth. I did try it that low to confirm. Secondly at that time I was wary of the shutter speed, every so often a slight breeze came through so I didn't want to shoot things too slow. The timing involved a little bit of luck as I obviously need multiple frames with as little movement between them as possible.

Tristan, you make me all warm, and fuzzy... warm and fuzzy like a bear...

Cheers Ben!

Those shots are epic man, I spent some time switching between the B&W and colour versions, for some reason they convey slightly different feels to me, the B&W with a little more soul and the extreme atmosphere to me. Well done!

Does anybody have any experience with Belay Jackets? I'm looking at the RAB Generator Alpine, although i've been in cool conditions I havn't really been in conditions as cold as the Pacific North west, and northern Canada in Winter, so I want to be sure my layiering system is solid, and I'll probably hire some stuff for the Yukon. Ben, Angus i'm looking your way...
Cheers, mate! I don't actually own a belay jacket, however I did spend a lot of time looking at them :nerd:. I was looking at the Rab Photon, with the Generator Alpine being a nicer variation of the same concept. Some people like down but the the packability and warmth when the insulation is wet seem to make synthetic insulation the obvious choice for me. I have a mix of Rab and Outdoor Research gear and both have proven good quality. Outdoor Research Extravert gloves are great (though I did have a seam split :( )

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Angus i'm looking your way...
Is it going to be part of your layering or is it a outer / stand alone piece?

The Rab item looks awesome - I especially like the reenforced shoulders etc, especially for carrying a pack. Looks like it errs on the side of being an outer layer.

I use a similar product called the Redpoint Optimus by The North Face which uses a 100g/m2 Primaloft fill. As Ben mentioned above, if you're encountering potentially wet conditions, synthetic fills will keep you much warmer when wet. The same can also be said for sweat too which is why these sorts of jackets typically excel as mid layers for low-moderate levels of activity.

Given synthetic fills like Primaloft are produced in sheets, they typically make for a thinner jacket making them much more comfortable when worn underneath an outer shell or in conjunction with a pack or harness. This is in contrast to a down piece; whilst they're much warmer for the same weight, they don't layer as comfortably because of the clustered, lofty nature of down. Make sure that if the jacket incorporates a waterproof layer as its outer fabric, that it doesn't replace a stand-alone waterproof shell (just incase you're faced with conditions that are wet but too warm for an insulated piece).

Be sure to check out TNF's replacement for my jacket, the Zephyrus Optimus as well as Arc'teryx's Atom SV. Haven't seen the new TNF item properly but the Atom was always the enviable item in this product category.

heavyp

You heard it here first
I got this little beauty last friday for as a birthday pressy
IMG_0814.jpg
Anyone else on here using the X Pro 1 ? After updating it to the lastest 3.0.1 firmware Im very impressed but focus is still a little iffy on distant subjects.

I also recently finished a retroish bike build that took me 11 months of blood sweat and tears which can be seen here http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?254722-Rob-Warner-Giant-ATX-DH-Team-Replica
Now the bike is finished, I am going to shoot it in the studio and as I got there today the broncolor para 220 just arrived. I am going to shoot the bike using this and a few other lights instead of my original plan of just 3 softboxes. I also decided im going to shoot it all with the Fuji as it has a pretty sweet macro for the detail shots.
IMG_0886.jpg

heavyp

You heard it here first
Sorry to take this off the topic of excellent photos…

I've got a few things for sale if anyone's interested, all of them in excellent condition (the 40mm and fisheye used literally a handful of times):

- Canon 1DMk3 body. $1350
- Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS lens. $900
- Canon 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens. $120
- Tokina 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 lens. $450
- Aquatech DV-4MkII underwater housing with pistol grip, Aquatech LP-1 dome lens port for fisheye lenses and LP-5 flat port for 40mm/50mm lenses. Have both the slide plates and back plates to fit either the 1D3 or 1D2N. $1600

Will sell the camera body and housing/ports together for $2800 ($150 saving), or the camera body, housing/ports and fisheye lens together $3150 ($250 saving).

Feel free to message/call/email me if you'd like more photos or information - tristan.cardew@hotmail.com or 0405 661 611.
Hey mate you should try surfphotographersunited.com, cameramarket.com.au, there is a camera gear sale page on facebook that heaps of people use and even aquatech's facebook page if you are yet to try them.

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
You'll be happy with that thing Heavyp, I bought an XE-1 a couple of months back, and the photos it takes are stunning.

Thanks for the input guys, yep was planning to use it as part of my layering system, i've got some 150gsm merino base, Macpac Sonic (also have a macpac mountain fleece (no I don't work for Macpac!)), and was thinking one of those jackets like the RAB (or the Arc'teryx/North Face etc you mentioned) over that and finally the shell (Macpac eVent). I do think theres a chance conditions will be wet so I might take that advice and aim for the synthetic.

I also need some new rain pants, In the past i've used some Kathmandu NGX pants, and to be honest they've been horrible over the years, they dont breath, and it's touch and go as to weather they actually keep you dry. That with the sweat makes for a pretty uncomfortable day in the rain.

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Thanks for the input guys, yep was planning to use it as part of my layering system, i've got some 150gsm merino base, Macpac Sonic (also have a macpac mountain fleece (no I don't work for Macpac!)), and was thinking one of those jackets like the RAB (or the Arc'teryx/North Face etc you mentioned) over that and finally the shell (Macpac eVent). I do think theres a chance conditions will be wet so I might take that advice and aim for the synthetic.
HA! If you ever need anything dude, let us know!

The MTN fleece is an excellent mid layer. I've got it's predecessor, the Llama which is a hi-loft fleece with stretch in the underarms. Sounds like you've got the layers all sorted though. The only additions I make for winter trips is a heavier weight merino (say 260gsm?) over the base layers and maybe a basic 1/2 zip fleece.

As for the pants, check out the Rab Burgen pants. They'r a 3L eVent fabric with re-enforced bum and knees. I've been using these since 2011 for telemark skiing and hiking and they've been excellent. A little thicker/heavier duty than the Kathmandu NGX "swish" pants but infinitely more comfortable/breathable. Just make sure you wash them regularly as eVent will clog overtime with sweat/dirt/oil etc and loose its breathability.

Heavyp: I'm absolutely loving ye ATX DH. Saw a kid hammering one of these down the aqueduct the other week - it looked well loved...

I borrowed a X-PRO1 off a friend complete with some vintage Zuiko glass for a trip earlier this year and I have to say, very cool piece of kit. Can certainly see the appeal for photography enthusiasts and pros alike. For me, I don't think I could justify owning one as it's still quite big and you have the additional complexity of interchangeable lenses. For lightweight/compact use, my little Canon G15 serves quite well.

*shrugs*

Quick Q: anyone here familiar with or have any experience with Markins ball heads?

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
There is no emoticon for how hard my had just exploded..

On a side track (photo stuff, It's allowed in this thread? Tristan feel free to shut this post down) I had a Q3 emile, great little head, well made, smooth action, strong, but did settle just a fraction when set.

You're on a D3 yeah? Do you have a L-bracket (acra Swiss style)?

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Ha! I actually thought you knew this, hence the questions about the Minaret!

On a side track (photo stuff, It's allowed in this thread? Tristan feel free to shut this post down) I had a Q3 emile, great little head, well made, smooth action, strong, but did settle just a fraction when set.

You're on a D3 yeah? Do you have a L-bracket (acra Swiss style)?
Not as of yet. I'm eagerly hanging out for one to pop up second hand. Use of an L-plate is my main motivation for shying away from Manfrotto (that and my geared head is freakin' massive!).

I'm looking specifically at the Q10 so the slightly larger version of the Q3.

I had a look at the Sirui K40x that you and Craig have but its size will restrict the reverse fold feature of my tripod. The K30x is a better match but a few complaints about a insufficient pan lock have me hesitant. The Benro B2 also crossed my radar too - very clean traditional ball head but like the Sirui, not many reviews. The price alone for the tried and tested Markins Q10 head would cover the Benro B2, a brand new RRS L-plate and pano attachment...

Not sure if I want to part with the geared head. Yet...

*shrugs*

Last edited:

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Ha! I actually thought you knew this, hence the questions about the Minaret!

Not as of yet. I'm eagerly hanging out for one to pop up second hand. Use of an L-plate is my main motivation for shying away from Manfrotto (that and my geared head is freakin' massive!).

I'm looking specifically at the Q10 so the slightly larger version of the Q3.

I had a look at the Sirui K40x that you and Craig have but its size will restrict the reverse fold feature of my tripod. The K30x is a better match but a few complaints about a insufficient pan lock have me hesitant. The Benro B2 also crossed my radar too - very clean traditional ball head but like the Sirui, not many reviews. The price alone for the tried and tested Markins Q10 head would cover the Benro B2, a brand new RRS L-plate and pano attachment...

Not sure if I want to part with the geared head. Yet...
Based on absolutely no evidence I thought you had something in North Face! I still Want a Minaret..

Give me a week, might have something for you.

Last edited: