Holden out of Oz in 2017

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well for a car no body wants we sell a hell of a lot of them.
To fleet companies and government, its the only car in the top 10 new car sales with its drive train package all the rest are fwd 4cyl.

Hell the commodore only outsold the Cruze by 1000 odd cars last year.

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
No they are big v8 we see a large range of cars from other dealerships also for servicing don't believe what os in the paper . Commodore sales are good and yes we do sell a lot of small cars like cruize and they come with i think it is soon to be 5 different engines. Were holden went wrong is they only really made the Commadore and did not make a range or cars to satisfy the market . They have started to now with Australia's first real electric car , the Colorado 7 , Colorado ute , cruize , barina , epica , malibu commodore but it was to late .

mitchy_

Llama calmer
No they are big v8 we see a large range of cars from other dealerships also for servicing don't believe what os in the paper . Commodore sales are good and yes we do sell a lot of small cars like cruize and they come with i think it is soon to be 5 different engines. Were holden went wrong is they only really made the Commadore and did not make a range or cars to satisfy the market . They have started to now with Australia's first real electric car , the Colorado 7 , Colorado ute , cruize , barina , epica , malibu commodore but it was to late .
as previous mentioned, just what you see isn't necessarily a representation of australia.

on the Gold Coast, i reckon i see more late model audi's than commodores.

scblack

Leucocholic
Only the Commodore and Cruze are made in Australia. All other Holdens are inported.

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
Yeah i know that but my point was they have now got a large range to cover the whole market not just two areas of it . They should of done it years ago.

John U

MTB Precision
Because lots of people want to own one??????
The reason Ford and Holden are moving away from 6 cyl RWD cars is because nobody actually wants one.
I would already own (and probably a lot of others too) a Falcon or Commodore Station wagon if it was made as a station wagon (not a territory), was rear wheel drive, had a reasonable amount of grunt, and didn't suck a shit load of juice. They have the technology to build a car like this at a reasonable price but don't do it. I'm not sure why.

My next car may well be a diesel CX5. Mazda are doing something with these cars which gives them a higher output than all their competitors at a lower fuel consumption than all of their competitors. If Ford and/or Holden had've been on the same track I don't think we'd be talking about them shutting down.

The Gas XR6 was in my sights but they didn't make a station wagon.

wombat

Lives in a hole
No they are big v8 we see a large range of cars from other dealerships also for servicing don't believe what os in the paper.
Huh? Big V8s are not a high selling item anymore. Maybe your dealership does a good job of cranking through them relative to what else you sell, but that doesn't make it representative of the nation as a whole.

It's not a matter of believing 'the paper' either, just have a look at the numbers coming straight from the FCAI.

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
All hsv dealerships cant get enough stock of the gts and other hsv models they ate on back order . And we sell more v8 commodores then v6 ones .

wombat

Lives in a hole
All hsv dealerships cant get enough stock of the gts and other hsv models they ate on back order . And we sell more v8 commodores then v6 ones .
That's great dude, but there are OTHER DEALERSHIPS IN AUSTRALIA. Have a look at these figures, the large segment gets trounced almost 5:1 by small cars. I'd like to see stats with fleet purchases removed too, because they classically skew things in favour of the big aussie cars.

As an aside, not being able to get enough stock doesn't necessarily mean that your demand is super high, it could just mean that your supply is shit compared to what other dealerships/marques can offer.

rone

Eats Squid
You didn't understand the all part did you ? As in all HSV dealers not just one all .
Must be that their supply is shit, then. Creates a skewed perception of increased demand. Once the nightclub owners and golf pros have all taken delivery, there'll be the usual surplus.

wombat

Lives in a hole
You didn't understand the all part did you ? As in all HSV dealers not just one all .
No, you don't understand. Heres som hypothetical numbers to illustrate:
If HSV can only supply 50 cars a month to their dealer network, but the dealers can collectively take 75 orders, there will be back orders, like you say.
But meanwhile, VW can supply its dealers with 200 golfs each month. So even if its dealers only sell 150 of those, there's no need for backorders like you have but they've still sold twice as many cars as the hsv dealers.

I think maybe you need to try and step back and look at the bigger picture, outside of your dealership.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Hey rone, my golf must have improved. The GTS is selling well but the other models aren't running out the doors like you suggest, check car sales (500 odd for sale) or the dealer where I bought my GTS, they still have one of the first Clubbies that they had allocated. As for the rest of the Holden line up, well it's pretty average. Mind you I saw a petrol Malibu in the village this week so Holden have sold at least one. Pity they didn't take the option to put an engine in it.

floody

Wheel size expert
[EDIT: Wombat already went there, but anyway...]

Not representative at all of the reality. Small cars outsold large cars* almost 5:1 this month. Dual cab 4x4 utes even outsold large cars 2:1. And I imagine if you got hold of nationwide commodore sales the V6s would far outnumber the V8s.

For 2012, the FCAI said:

The top selling vehicle, for the second year in a row, was the Mazda3 with sales of 44,128. It was followed by the Toyota Hilux (40,646), the Toyota Corolla (38,799), the Holden Commodore (30,532) and the Holden Cruze (29,161
Interesting isn't it that the Cruze, despite being a relatively new model, mid size, front wheel drive car is only ~1,500 sales behind the Commodore (which is daylight behind the corolla).

*Being the segment that the Commodore, Falcon and a range of other large sedans fit into.

Last edited:

redbruce

Eats Squid
I would already own (and probably a lot of others too) a Falcon or Commodore Station wagon if it was made as a station wagon (not a territory), was rear wheel drive, had a reasonable amount of grunt, and didn't suck a shit load of juice. They have the technology to build a car like this at a reasonable price but don't do it. I'm not sure why.

My next car may well be a diesel CX5. Mazda are doing something with these cars which gives them a higher output than all their competitors at a lower fuel consumption than all of their competitors. If Ford and/or Holden had've been on the same track I don't think we'd be talking about them shutting down.

The Gas XR6 was in my sights but they didn't make a station wagon.
That was the idea behind the Commodore sportwagen.

The 3 L sidi wagon we currently we have at work does 9.5L/100K with a mixture of city and country driving. Anecdotal evidence from work mates that have them is that the SV6 is better again (and isnt as gutless as the 3 L).

I have had a couple of LPG Commodores (and falcons) as work cars and they had much lower fuel costs than the petrol versions but also our diesels (admittedly Hilux and Colorado manuals but also Captiva) and . Service costs have also been significantly lower than the diesels (based on 100,000km).

Check Mazda have fixed the oil issues with the CX5 before you commit (and dont bother looking at the Captiva, CX5 is light years ahead in dynamics and quality, but similar reasonable rather than engaging performance).

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
That was the idea behind the Commodore sportwagen.

The 3 L sidi wagon we currently we have at work does 9.5L/100K with a mixture of city and country driving. Anecdotal evidence from work mates that have them is that the SV6 is better again (and isnt as gutless as the 3 L).

I have had a couple of LPG Commodores (and falcons) as work cars and they had much lower fuel costs than our diesels (admittedly Hilux and Colorado manuals but also Captiva). Service costs have also been significantly lower than the diesels (based on 100,000km).

Check Mazda have fixed the oil issues with the CX5 before you commit (and dont bother looking at the Captiva, CX5 is light years ahead in dynamics and quality, but similar reasonable rather than engaging performance).
I might look into the SV6 sports wagon before holden bail. Would love to have another Aussie made car, and for a few years into the future. They look pretty good too. The CX5 is quoting around 6l per 100k's. Have heard about the oil issue. Thought it was something to do with the dip stick, Thanks for the reminder though.

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
I might look into the SV6 sports wagon before holden bail. Would love to have another Aussie made car, and for a few years into the future. They look pretty good too. The CX5 is quoting around 6l per 100k's. Have heard about the oil issue. Thought it was something to do with the dip stick, Thanks for the reminder though.
Holden pay Aussie workers a shitload more to make shit cars than they can get shit cars made elsewhere.

Australia needs to cut the car industry off. It will never improve.

Instead of propping up the car industry, the government could have invested that same money in new technologies that actually have a viable future. The car industry is not it.

Oh, and Holden IS NOT AN AUSTRALIAN COMPANY. So before you go out and buy a commodore and stick your dumb arse southern cross sticker on it, know that a Toyota Camry is as Australian as that Commodore you adore.

Last edited:

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
I have had a couple of LPG Commodores (and falcons) as work cars and they had much lower fuel costs than our diesels (admittedly Hilux and Colorado manuals but also Captiva). Service costs have also been significantly lower than the diesels (based on 100,000km).
You're comparing a two wheel drive (well one at any time actually) car to an all wheel drive. Your not comparing apples with apples or purely a diesel to a petrol. And leave the Craptiva out of it. Its a pile of rubbish. Only Holden could build a small SUV diesel that averages 13lt per 100ks. A big pajero or patrol is more efficient than that!

Last edited: