business- Selling a design.

driftking

Wheel size expert
How does one go about selling a design or product.
I have two concepts that are just that concepts at this moment, I can potentially mock up some prototype looking items but they would be done with random bits and pieces and other products not actually entirely designed on my own (although the concept is). It's just I don't have the resources to actually produce what I am looking at (some serious technology involved). Whats the best way to go about developing a product to the point of been able to sell it while avoiding any legal issues on the way?
It implements current technology from a few sources out of my reach.

The second product Is much easier to actually mock up but its some what uses technology or more so a design almost from another item but changes its use and is slightly modified, for me id wonder at what point copy write comes into play with these things.

Any business heads wants to go nuts and enlighten me on where to go with these. Ill be aiming to produce these anyway for personal use but i figure if i do might as well do it in a way that might open up other options if its worthy. If you're gonna do something do it right....right?

And no I am not telling you my ideas lol. :tape2:

Last edited:

bootsandall

Likes Dirt
Public discussion of concepts

You are right to not publicly discuss a design or concept, as once its out there it makes getting a patient almost out of the question.

Patients aren't cheap, and specially if you go for a international one.

Best bet would be to maybe find a tech person to go into an arrangement on developing the concepts to a state of proof of concept. Then it might make seling the concept easier. But whatever you do make sure any aggrements are in writing. If it takes off thats when things can get nasty.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Aargh, its patent, not patient.

But otherwise, yes, your first step is to secure your intellectual property through patents and copyright. It will not be simple or cheap, as you will probably need to engage the services of professionals, such as lawyers and perhaps industrial designers.

Really, unless you are serious about it as a business venture, I really wouldn't bother.

Magnum9

Squid
I have been down this path. A water tight patent drawn up by a patent attorney will cost $5-10k for Australia alone, depending on the complexity of the product. There is no such thing as an international patent, you have to lodge in each individual country you want protection in. For us the US was around $5k and Italy was $10k because you have to use an attorney based in Italy.

You can lodge a patent yourself but if won't stand up to a legal challenge it is pointless. On that note, unless you are willing to pay your attorney lots of money to enforce your patent once your product is copied it is also pointless.

Sometimes it is better to hit the market hard with your product, make as much money as quickly as you can and don't stress when the copies show up.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I have been down this path. A water tight patent drawn up by a patent attorney will cost $5-10k for Australia alone, depending on the complexity of the product. There is no such thing as an international patent, you have to lodge in each individual country you want protection in. For us the US was around $5k and Italy was $10k because you have to use an attorney based in Italy.

You can lodge a patent yourself but if won't stand up to a legal challenge it is pointless. On that note, unless you are willing to pay your attorney lots of money to enforce your patent once your product is copied it is also pointless.

Sometimes it is better to hit the market hard with your product, make as much money as quickly as you can and don't stress when the copies show up.
I see, well first step appears to be designing the items for myself to use and document it all.
From there than I can workout if its worth patenting the design.

I'm pretty sure if the design was worthy if immediately just patent it than try selling it to a bigger company

Seems in this situation the good old, "have to spend money to make money" rings very true.