Trails in the Rain

natskis

Likes Bikes
Hey all,

Just wanted to find out what was acceptable for riding trails in the rain?
This weekend we were keen to head out to a trail and ended up at OMV in the morning.

We checked nobmob and it showed green. We headed up and it was an amazing ride.
Very different riding in the rain. Very zen!

There were others there as well so we didn't think that it would be a problem.

Just ensured we didn't rip up parts of the track with braking etc. and were really careful of any wooden platforms and bridges as those things were slippery as all heck.

So, what are the actual rules for when it's raining and riding trails?
Is it just common sense to avoid flooding areas and checking statuses on Nobmob/status sites for trails?

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd say it depends a lot on the trail. A lot of officially built trails have rules and can be signposted that riders should not ride in the wet. This is for two main reasons, damage to the trail and also the greater likelihood of the spread of diseases such as Phytopthora or Chytrid fungus.

Still it depends on the trail and the way the riders ride. If riders don't rip stuff up, if the ground isn't soft and the tyres aren't forming ruts and riders ride through the puddles rather than around thereby causing trail creep etc etc it should be ok. Still if lots of riders come out in the wet a trail is more likely to get damaged as the trail is just more vulnerable when wet.

So I'd say stay off it till it is dry unless you really know it does hold up if its your local trail and you will repair any damage yourself (ie you can see the ruts and rips once its dried that you formed when in the wet which you may not have noticed at the time). If you really need to turn your legs around and pedal hit up a fire trail instead. Really need to use common sense and respect rather than follow a hard and fast rule.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
even though I used to enjoy the technical challenge of riding in the mud/wet, these days with extremes of drought and so many more riders on trails + what seems like more heavy rain in a shorter time; if you have a close look at the wear/damage riding on wet trails does and of course if you're there, then the average wally will do it as well, .... just have a plan b firetrails/bike path, still fun. reckon we have to look after what we love doing and it's obvious riding in wet causes pretty rapid wear on trails.

markb84

Likes Dirt
I agree with most of the points above. Riding in the wet is an important part of riding, if I didn't do it growing up in the UK I would have only ridden my bike 3 times a year.

If you ride in the wet you have to respect the trails, be mindful of areas that really shouldn't be ridden and consider consequences of your riding.

If you're riding a well build section with good drainage and you aren't ripping it up I don't see any issue. Just need to have a good think about it before you head out.

Also as pointed out, if you want to ride trails in the wet, think about volunteering to maintain the trails too.

D2R

Likes Bikes
previous to Feb 14, the last update was Nov 25...
And OP said first thing that they checked NOBMOB.
OMV trail status currently on NOBMO: Unknown
Looking at the status history on NOBMOB it hasn't been updated for 6 weeks.

@hornsbyMBT posted on Twitter 11:20pm on the 14th that the trail was closed. There is a link on NOBMOB to @hornsbyMBT twitter as well.

Last edited:

camzh

Likes Dirt
OMV needs a proper gate that needs to be open when the trail is open and closed when the trail is closed. (and then Hornsby Council needs to employ someone who will actually do it)

Everytime it rains and the status is updated (or not) peeps get their panties in a bunch cos someone is riding the trails when they shouldnt be.

no one cares about the damage being done, or the risk to self, its more about pointing out how someone is doing something they shouldnt be doing.

Maybe next time this happens we can all hang out at the trail head, hurl insults, take photos and slash tires ?

But not tell anyone they might hurt them selves as the wood is slippery in the wet, and they might make a rut or 2.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
How about people build trails that handle adverse weather conditions? It's not that hard to plan a trail that can be ridden in Australia, in Australian weather.

indica

Serial flasher
How about people build trails that handle adverse weather conditions? It's not that hard to plan a trail that can be ridden in Australia, in Australian weather.
C'mon, depends entirely on the terrain Dozer - you should knw that coming from Coffs.
One of our trails here has to be closed in the rain, it becomes a swamp, and only ewok style wood work or a mountains worth of rocks woul;d change that.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
See You Yangs for how its done. Drains phenomenally well and imho rides better after rain.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
And OP said first thing that they checked NOBMOB.
Nobmob is a user based system that relies on riders inputting information. It's in no way the official site. and If I've learnt anything from the internets it just because a website says it's ok doesn't mean you should do it....

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
While in the past i have whole heartedly agreed with the sentiments and enjoy riding in the rain, you have to remember neither Coffs or Lithgow have the same rider numbers as the trails being discussed. I saw more riders in a 2 hour early morning ride at OMV than I normally see in a month up here. quiet a few of them bumblies skidding allover the trail

Last edited:

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Until recently I didn't know it wasn't the right thing to do; riding trails in the rain. There needs to be signs up at trails.

indica

Serial flasher
Until recently I didn't know it wasn't the right thing to do; riding trails in the rain. There needs to be signs up at trails.
Yes ofcourse. There also need to be signs saying don't skid, don't litter on the trail and don't use common sense just rely on the signs.