Missing Malaysian flight

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
It is weird, mainly because there is contradictory evidence.

There was no distress call or the like, which suggests a instant and violent catastrophic event.

However, in almost all instances of an aircraft breaking up at high altitude there is LOTS of debris scattered over a large area, debris that floats.

Since there is no or minimal debris, it indicates the aircraft was largely intact when it hit the water and then it's parts sank.

Based on the clear and ground oil slicks I would even go as far as suggesting the aircraft managed a water landing and then sank. However this would have allowed a good 20min of glide time to send out a distress call, etc PLUS there would be a potential for survivors.

There is again the option that the plane went down fast, stayed intact but on impact pretty much instantly sank. Though again, more floating debris would be expected and a mayday call.

RIP to those onboard either way.

floody

Wheel size expert
Oil was from a ship, well seems to be the most likely scenario until its fully tested given what most experts have said about the way aircraft oils and fuel disperse.

Last edited:

DeBloot

Feeling old
Pilot error
Some sort of fuck up which has caused the plane to enter the water nose first and intact
Most likely a stall or something similar
Not much point using the radio when you're fighting to keep the plane in the air

That's my official hypothesis from watching a lot of air crash investigation on telly

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I wonder how possible it would be to silence everyone and everything on that plane, including the devices to track it and have someone land it unnoticed in a pre determined spot with a makeshift runway?

downhillar

Likes Dirt
I saw an episode of air crash investigation where the aircraft ran out of oxygen (or lost cabin pressure resulting in lack of oxygen?) and everyone fell asleep and I think eventually the plane crashed.

I can't remember the intimate details and obviously I am not up to speed with aviation engineering but I think it happened gradually so nobody really noticed, everyone fell asleep including the pilots (I think...).

So the point of my extremely vague post is that if there was no catostrophic failure but the aircraft slowly ran out of oxygen (somehow) and it was 3am, maybe everyone just thought they were tired and didn't think anything was amiss. Nek minit, captain is asleep and the plane goes off course and hits water somewhere way out of range of where it was meant to be?

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
I saw an episode of air crash investigation where the aircraft ran out of oxygen (or lost cabin pressure resulting in lack of oxygen?) and everyone fell asleep and I think eventually the plane crashed.

I can't remember the intimate details and obviously I am not up to speed with aviation engineering but I think it happened gradually so nobody really noticed, everyone fell asleep including the pilots (I think...).

So the point of my extremely vague post is that if there was no catostrophic failure but the aircraft slowly ran out of oxygen (somehow) and it was 3am, maybe everyone just thought they were tired and didn't think anything was amiss. Nek minit, captain is asleep and the plane goes off course and hits water somewhere way out of range of where it was meant to be?
The flight you were referring to was this one (I think) -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are many theories of varying possibility, most sitting between unlikely and impossible. Like most I have some ideas based upon the sanitised info being released, extension of search areas and the like. Search the tube for matt wuillemin to understand the possibility is real that one of these might deviate/disappear without the typical usual warning/alerts. His whistleblower vid will likely be pulled before long.

Where/why will come out, one day. I hope that they find it and do so soon for the sake of the families, airmen/women and the general public.

DeBloot

Feeling old

I can't remember why the oxygen failed, but the plane was still on autopilot so flying normally but no communication
I think the military went up and looked through the windows and could see no movement
They had to make the call to shoot the plane down if it went over a populated area
Luckily it ran out of petrol over water and crashed :yuck:

edit: oh yes, that the one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helios_Airways_Flight_522

Last edited:

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Gradual depressurisation as per the Helios incident would be very unlikely. There's too much redundancy for it to occur during cruise. But if that were to happen and the crew were incapacitated then the aircraft would follow the last route plugged into the flight management computer and fly that.

A rapid / explosive decompression would explain a few of the questions however. Having to drop 20,000+ ft in a matter of minutes down to <14,000 could explain why the ads-b pickup would of been lost. And the last thing you would be doing is attempting to use the radio if you're flying along with a hole in the fuselage.

As for GPS satellite tracking it would require at least 3 to pinpoint it at one position. Loosing gps signal happens quite often. The aircraft derive their position from the Inertial navigation system. It doesn't require any satellite or gps connection.

LQQK

Likes Bikes
Last week the North Koreans fired a missile that came close to a Chinese passenger aircraft. When I first heard this I thought it could be another North Korean missile, but I think the plane was too far south. Maybe a falling ballistic missile rather than deliberately aimed?

willsy01

Eats Squid
I wonder how possible it would be to silence everyone and everything on that plane, including the devices to track it and have someone land it unnoticed in a pre determined spot with a makeshift runway?
It would be VERY difficult in this day and age. All it takes is one person with a mobile phone to take a picture......

Nek minit, captain is asleep and the plane goes off course and hits water somewhere way out of range of where it was meant to be?
It wouldn't disappear from radar if that was the case.

Last week the North Koreans fired a missile that came close to a Chinese passenger aircraft. When I first heard this I thought it could be another North Korean missile, but I think the plane was too far south. Maybe a falling ballistic missile rather than deliberately aimed?
Military radar/satellite would be all over that like me on a caramel slice.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
About half a planet too far south.

An ICBM would have been noticed even before launch.

I want the plan to *POP*, reappear completely oblivious with all their watches four days behind time.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
About half a planet too far south.

An ICBM would have been noticed even before launch.

I want the plan to *POP*, reappear completely oblivious with all their watches four days behind time.
And reappear in Philadelphia...