Geelong or Hobart for living?

poita

Likes Dirt
So, looking for some semi-serious comedic relief here. Have spent the last year and a bit travelling around Australia and now looking for somewhere to call home. Have done plenty of research on every aspect you can imagine and no closer to deciding.
Any hilariously good or bad reasons to pick one over the other? Extra credit will be given to riding related reasons.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you not seen Geelong's mayor? Any population that voluntarily elects someone like that as their mayor doesn't strike me as the sort of people I'd want to live around...

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
Trails-wise there are little to no great trails in Geelong, not legal ones anyway, but I suppose the You Yangs are roughly a 40min-1hr drive, and if you drive out to Angelsea there are some awesome XC trails that are pretty fun. Hobart on the other hand has the North/South trail, which by all accounts is amazing, and the bike park which is also great from what I hear.

If you really need to decide, do a couple of trips to both places and see which one you prefer. I live in Geelong, and have Relatives in Hobart so make trips there every 10-12 months. Hobart is chilled as, not stupid levels of traffic and the people there seem friendly, whereas Geelong is getting busier everyday and is currently over-run by Ice Heads and 12 year old drug dealers, in saying that I still prefer Geelong. Where are you located now?

LQQK

Likes Bikes
Seeing that you are looking for a place to live that is an economic basket- case, move to Cairns (at least its warm). As a bonus you can go riding up to the Tablelands and see the family trees with no branches.

rone

Eats Squid
Seeing that you are looking for a place to live that is an economic basket- case, move to Cairns (at least its warm). As a bonus you can go riding up to the Tablelands and see the family trees with no branches.
...if you enjoy sweating

poita

Likes Dirt
Trails-wise there are little to no great trails in Geelong, not legal ones anyway, but I suppose the You Yangs are roughly a 40min-1hr drive, and if you drive out to Angelsea there are some awesome XC trails that are pretty fun. Hobart on the other hand has the North/South trail, which by all accounts is amazing, and the bike park which is also great from what I hear.

If you really need to decide, do a couple of trips to both places and see which one you prefer. I live in Geelong, and have Relatives in Hobart so make trips there every 10-12 months. Hobart is chilled as, not stupid levels of traffic and the people there seem friendly, whereas Geelong is getting busier everyday and is currently over-run by Ice Heads and 12 year old drug dealers, in saying that I still prefer Geelong. Where are you located now?
Was in Canberra, but have been traveling for quite a while now. Been to both places a few times, but still hard to decide. The trail comment is interesting though, I haven't been to either with a bike so only briefly scoped out trails.

Not sure about the ice-heads comment, I reckon it might be a neck and neck race on that one?

poita

Likes Dirt
Fair comment, I'd take Atherton over both, but I drove there last year and it is a LONG way. Even bass strait seems like a walk in the park compared to 2500 kms!

Big Tim

Likes Dirt
You yangs aren't that great. Forrest is better. Hope Hobart has some trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
Not sure about the ice-heads comment, I reckon it might be a neck and neck race on that one?
I suppose I never saw that side of Hobart in my stay hahaha

You yangs aren't that great. Forrest is better. Hope Hobart has some trails. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah they do get old after a while, I'm going to Forrest next weekend though, only 40mins/an hour away from Geelong so again pretty close, keen :laugh:

floody

Wheel size expert
Well Tassie's about to spiral into self destruction, do you have an in demand professional qualification? I wouldn't bother coming here otherwise, RIDICULOUSLY spendy place to live for the job availability and average income. About to be mass public sector layoffs, militant anti-industrial protest, draconian new laws, I'm looking to move back to Victoria later in the year.

Big mountain with lots of trails though.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Well Tassie's about to spiral into self destruction, do you have an in demand professional qualification? I wouldn't bother coming here otherwise, RIDICULOUSLY spendy place to live for the job availability and average income. About to be mass public sector layoffs, militant anti-industrial protest, draconian new laws, I'm looking to move back to Victoria later in the year.

Big mountain with lots of trails though.
Some good points, but quite pessimistic and not entirely true.
I have moved back and forth from tassie to the mainland maybe six or seven times since I was 18 (now 36) and every time I have moved back here I haven't been out of work for more than a month.

The most recent move back, I landed in Tassie, applied for a Government Job. Boom. Two years later I am still in a reasonably secure public sector job.
Got the job first attempt.
A month ago my wife decided she wanted to start working again. Applied for a Gov Job (Library), Boom. Got approved last week and goes for induction next week.
My brother didn't like his last job. Quite a month ago, applied for a job as a team leader with nearly no experience. Boom, started last week.

Those who say there are no jobs aren't looking in the right places.

I know another rotorburner here who I encouraged to move to Hobart, walked into a bike shop, boom. Instant head mechanic.

A friend of mine, Ange moved here from Melbourne about two years ago. Went for a job at the RTA, a few months later job approved. Been there ever since.

I also had a mate move down from Townsville last year.
He was here for two weeks before he got fulltime work. Boom. No special quals, just a desk job.
Certain areas of the public sector are growing, some are shrinking. As it has always been in the public sector since forever.
The public sector is always unstable, it always has been. Every department is subject to funding shortfalls, dispersion, cutbacks etc, but there is always work in the public sector in Hobart.

Tassie isn't expensive. I have lived in Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney and Tassie is by far the most affordable.

There is work in Hobart. Just look at the gazette, at least a dozen job ops for people who don't have quals like myself. Admin, reception, customer service officers etc.
Pay isn't huge, but if you can handle clearing $1300 a fortnight for a four day week then gov admin jobs are a good entry into the workforce here and they are always hiring on a contract basis. I just landed myself a contract renewal until 2016.
Boom.

We don't have an ice problem like some areas of the mainland, in fact ice isn't really something that has a presence here in Hobart.
There are smack junkies, but not enough to pose any serious problems. Not like melbourne or sydney.

We have some great trails, water access to the derwent river if you like to be near the water, only short drives to wonderful world class nature reserves and wilderness.

As I type this I am up the east coast for a weekend holiday at Bicheno. 2 1/2 hrs from Hobart and I am on some of the most pritine beach anywhere.
Hobart is small, so it's small town thinking. We are slow to get anything done and progress is shunned.
There is a gaping hole where there should be great leadership and sustainable modern development, but Hobartians have always been afraid of change and growth, whis in some ways has been a blessing because it has stayed small and not overdeveloped.

It is a beatiful city ad a great safe place to grow up and bring up kids.

The music scene is shit. No good live music but it is very festive in summer and sping and there is lots ofopen air events and festive activities for the fam or the individual.

It gets cold. Like geelong.
If you commute by bike in wnter expect to leave home when its dark and get home when its dark and get used to riding with a frosty nose and numb fingers in the mornings. Despite what everyone says, it's not like that all the time.
Winter can be cold as fuck, but the last winter wasn't so bad. I didn't wear long pants once and only wore a jumper several times. But I'm fat so I can do that.

I encourage you to come down for a long weekend. Bring your bike, see the sights and get a feel for it.
You won't regret it.

Last edited:
I have moved back and forth from tassie to the mainland maybe six or seven times since I was 18 (now 36) and every time I have moved back here I haven't been out of work for more than a month.

The most recent move back, I landed in Tassie, applied for a Government Job. Boom. Two years later I am still in a reasonably secure public sector job.
A month ago my wife decided she wanted to start working again. Applied for a Gov Job (Library), Boom. Got approved last week and goes for induction next week.
My brother didn't like his last job. Quite a month ago, applied for a job as a team leader with nearly no experience. Boom, started last week.

Those who say there are no jobs aren't looking in the right places.

I know another rotorburner here who I encouraged to move to Hobart, walked into a bike shop, boom. Instant head mechanic.

A friend of mine, Ange moved here from Melbourne about two years ago. Went for a job at the RTA, a few months later job approved. Been there ever since.

I also had a mate move down from Townsville last year.
He was here for two weeks before he got fulltime work. Boom. No special quals, just a desk job.
Certain areas of the public sector are growing, some are shrinking. As it has always been in the public sector since forever.
The public sector is always unstable, it always has been. Every department is subject to funding shortfalls, dispersion, cutbacks etc, but there is always work in the public sector in Hobart.

Tassie isn't expensive. I have lived in Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney and Tassie is by far the most affordable.

There is work in Hobart. Just look at the gazette, at least a dozen job ops for people who don't have quals like myself. Admin, reception, customer service officers etc.
Pay isn't huge, but if you can handle clearing $1300 a fortnight for a four day week then gov admin jobs are a good entry into the workforce here and they are always hiring on a contract basis. I just landed myself a contract renewal until 2016.
Boom.

We don't have an ice problem like some areas of the mainland, in fact ice isn't really something that has a presence here in Hobart.
There are smack junkies, but not enough to pose any serious problems. Not like melbourne or sydney.

We have some great trails, water access to the derwent river if you like to be near the water, only short drives to wonderful world class nature reserves and wilderness.

As I type this I am up the east coast for a weekend holiday at Bicheno. 2 1/2 hrs from Hobart and I am on some of the most pritine beach anywhere.
Hobart is small, so it's small town thinking. We are slow to get anything done and progress is shunned.
There is a gaping hole where there should be great leadership and sustainable modern development, but Hobartians have always been afraid of change and growth, whis in some ways has been a blessing because it has stayed small and not overdeveloped.

It is a beatiful city ad a great safe place to grow up and bring up kids.

The music scene is shit. No good live music but it is very festive in summer and sping and there is lots ofopen air events and festive activities for the fam or the individual.

It gets cold. Like geelong.
If you commute by bike in wnter expect to leave home when its dark and get home when its dark and get used to riding with a frosty nose and numb fingers in the mornings. Despite what everyone says, it's not like that all the time.
Winter can be cold as fuck, but the last winter wasn't so bad. I didn't wear long pants once and only wore a jumper several times. But I'm fat so I can do that.

I encourage you to come down for a long weekend. Bring your bike, see the sights and get a feel for it.
You won't regret it.
So many booms in this post I hope ASIO isn't watching

floody

Wheel size expert

Ha ha, you think recent PS recruitments are secure. That's optimistic! What is probably about to happen is everyone on contract and limited tenure, and given the massive growth in the last 8 years or so that is a lot, will be reviewed or redundant, a bunch of the coffee-class will be shifted into lower 'responsibility' roles at their old bureaucrat pay and new appointments will probably freeze. That's what happened in education in 2005 anyway, it was their way of cutting numbers while simultaneously adding 'new' teachers; move the seatwarmers out of 'support' and 'management' back into frontline services (at their old pay) and shuffle off anyone trying to get a start.

Just understand our government has changed with a mandate to make about 1,500 public service job cuts, and as someone currently spanning both professional work and service industry work I can tell you that service industry work is declining and fast. It doesn't seem like much but when you consider the impact on service industry, retail etc of cutting those people, times are looking bleak. The only growth area for interstaters in Tasmania is moving here for cheap rent to live on welfare, and I can assure you this is a boom area in the outer suburbs and light rural areas.

Tassie is expensive in its own way. Property isn't, though the actual housing stock is decrepit, built to typical Tassie quality standard (i.e. as cheap as possible to last as long as the developer's current venture does) and rents have practically doubled in 5 years. Food is absurdly expensive and mostly shithouse from the mainstream outlets, you'll find for example supermarket meat is now mostly imported and is both 25% or so more expensive than on the mainland but also about a week old by the time it gets here, as with any fruit and veg we don't grow. Smaller grocers and such tend to have very limited stock and are usually about lineball on produce and somewhat pricier (but better quality) for locally sourced protein foods. I pay more rego here than Victoria on roughly the same class of car, teacher registration is higher, electricity is higher, petrol is the better part of a grand a year more expensive...Combine that with being the lowest paid in the nation by a big margin in my field and I believe it is perfectly valid to say its expensive.

Frankly I wouldn't move to either.

Last edited: