Geelong or Hobart for living?

mojomodo

Likes Bikes
Tassie is expensive in its own way. Property isn't, though the actual housing stock is decrepit, built to typical Tassie quality standard (i.e. as cheap as possible to last as long as the developer's current venture does) and rents have practically doubled in 5 years. Food is absurdly expensive and mostly shithouse from the mainstream outlets, you'll find for example supermarket meat is now mostly imported and is both 25% or so more expensive than on the mainland but also about a week old by the time it gets here, as with any fruit and veg we don't grow. Smaller grocers and such tend to have very limited stock and are usually about lineball on produce and somewhat pricier (but better quality) for locally sourced protein foods. I pay more rego here than Victoria on roughly the same class of car, teacher registration is higher, electricity is higher, petrol is the better part of a grand a year more expensive...Combine that with being the lowest paid in the nation by a big margin in my field and I believe it is perfectly valid to say its expensive.
As far as generalisations go... That's a cracker!

I suggest doing as much research into both areas and not take advice like the statement above. I live in Tassie and have family in Geelong and surrounding areas and they are like chalk and cheese in many different ways.

If you're spending 1k extra a year on petrol... You're not riding enough!

To say our food is shithouse though... Well that's just below the belt.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As an ex Tassie boy, I don't think floody is far off the mark, we saw the same thing (14000 + a change from FTE to bos) in Qld when can-do swept to power. They are currently pillaging the state owned as assets too.
Living in Brisbane, I drive 50k to work every day, plus tolls. So unless you're living in Brighton or Margate, you are going to be better off as far as fuel costs go. If you are living in Brighton or Margate, well... Yes, I am starting significantly more than I would in Hobart.
I take it you have opportunities in either place. Over the next few years there will also be high levels of competition for lower level jobs in geelong as the smarter ford workers get out too.
If riding is your thing, I'd say Hobart for sure. Mt wellington, with north south, Glenorchy MTB park, belbins rd ( Clarence) are all about 15 minutes drive from the centre of the city. Not that I can comment on the riding in Geelong.
Good luck with it all.

poita

Likes Dirt
All interesting points, a little less hilarious than I hoped, but probably more useful!
I work in health, so reasonably secure but I know that in Queensland even health was taken to with a knife. No doubt Tasmania will be the same with their new fearless leaders.
As I said earlier, have been travelling for over a year and was on Canberra before that. I haven't got any hard numbers, but Canberra was pretty brutal cost of living wise and I reckon Tassie might be marginally better? Thoughts?

Shredden

Knows his goats
Unpopular opinion: Geelong is bad, but not THAT bad. Unfortunately when driving from Melbourne you literally drive through the poorest suburb in Victoria, and thats not an exaggeration. Its the fucking hood. Its like something out of an NWA video, burnt out cars on the side of the road and shit. A mates car got broken into and his dog stolen out the front of Corio bunnings.

HOWEVER:

There are very very nice parts of Geelong. North and South Geelong in general are pretty ratty, but Newtown and Highton are very very nice - especially around St Joeys college area. Nice houses, very close to the CBD (10 minutes walk) and close to the train to Melbourne. If thats a bit exxy you can always head towards East Geelong, its also pretty nice in the parts closer to the CBD.

Other than that, have you considered Torquay? Its about 15 minutes drive away from Geelong, and the population is 100% middle-upper class wealthy straight white young people (I am obviously the exception, being none of those). I urge you to consider it. Good XC trails about 10 minutes ride away, lots of surfing, chilled out population etc.

scblack

Leucocholic
This has been one of the funniest reads I have ever had.

On reading the thread title I intended to say the following: you may be residing in either place, but are you really LIVING? I intended to say Nup. But on reflection that's not fair at all.

BOTH are vibrant places, and would be great to live at.

Ford stops making Falcons in Geelong in 2017 approx. Big farkin deal really. That's about 3,000 production line jobs. Admin, engineering etc still stay. In no way is this good news, but Geelong is a good city and its not going to collapse because a multi-national shuts down manufacturing cars not many Aussies want to buy. Its still a decent city with plenty of activity. Oh, and I have driven through Geelong a few times. Looks nice but I have no other viewpoints.

Hobart. Reading Harmonix's post shows jobs are available. That's true ANYWHERE. If people see you are employable you'll find something to get by. Floody's post shows he is trying to deal with the "threat" he sees from a Liberal government being voted in. His heart is in the right place as he sees it but he has given a very pessimistic view. Tassie is the only state I am yet to visit, and that's coming soon (I hope).

Sorry If I ramble, but both places will be a good living in their way.

poita

Likes Dirt
Unpopular opinion: Geelong is bad, but not THAT bad. Unfortunately when driving from Melbourne you literally drive through the poorest suburb in Victoria, and thats not an exaggeration. Its the fucking hood. Its like something out of an NWA video, burnt out cars on the side of the road and shit. A mates car got broken into and his dog stolen out the front of Corio bunnings.

HOWEVER:

There are very very nice parts of Geelong. North and South Geelong in general are pretty ratty, but Newtown and Highton are very very nice - especially around St Joeys college area. Nice houses, very close to the CBD (10 minutes walk) and close to the train to Melbourne. If thats a bit exxy you can always head towards East Geelong, its also pretty nice in the parts closer to the CBD.

Other than that, have you considered Torquay? Its about 15 minutes drive away from Geelong, and the population is 100% middle-upper class wealthy straight white young people (I am obviously the exception, being none of those). I urge you to consider it. Good XC trails about 10 minutes ride away, lots of surfing, chilled out population etc.
I still remember being in Geelong and hearing a news report about 2 kids finding a body between their dirt jumps in Corio... Hood fo sho.

Not sure about Torquay, trying not to go back to Canberra for all the reasons you recommend it. Too many wealthy, white upper middle class people is suffocating and soul destroying.... But will have a look when I'm there later this week.

floody

Wheel size expert
As far as generalisations go... That's a cracker!

I suggest doing as much research into both areas and not take advice like the statement above. I live in Tassie and have family in Geelong and surrounding areas and they are like chalk and cheese in many different ways.

If you're spending 1k extra a year on petrol... You're not riding enough!

To say our food is shithouse though... Well that's just below the belt.
Small producer food is great. Supermarket food is poor to sh!thouse compared to the quality in Victoria. I spent 3 weeks up there recently and was gobsmacked that I could walk into safeway and buy fresher meat at far lower prices than our local butcher in Hobart who is lightyears in quality ahead of the supermarket.

I lived in Ballarat full time until 2000/part time until 2003 and visit a few times a year, obviously I live in outer Hobart. I would like to think I have a reasonable basis for comparison. My workplace could be 10km to 100km away on a given day so sadly a car is usually deployed.

$1k a year on petrol racks up pretty quick at between 10 and 30c per litre more. To be fair the difference is probably closer to $500 but the gap continues to widen.

Scblack, to believe there is not about to be a crisis in this state when the Liberals have swept in on a small government mandate, while the majority of the state's workforce either directly or indirectly derives its income from the government is delusional, not optimistic.

Hobart is a vibrant place, if you have plenty of cash to enjoy it. If not I wouldn't bother. We're leaving soon, it will be a lovely place to visit.

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Oh, working in health you might be ok, as we have the most obese, highest smoking, aged population etc. That said the next few months will probably see the glut of has-been middle managers temporarily shuffled back into state run frontline positions and a big clamp on contract and limited tenure work, as is traditionally the case anytime there are 'cuts' in Tassie. When they all go on stress leave/long service/maternity leave etc contract work should open up (again, something I've traditionally observed here).

Shredden

Knows his goats
But will have a look when I'm there later this week.
Pretty much south of grossmans road is where you want to be looking I reakon - jan juc and old torquay are a lot more diverse than "the sands" which is a trashy golf course-estate white retiree thing. And closer to the good beaches :)

scblack

Leucocholic
Scblack, to believe there is not about to be a crisis in this state when the Liberals have swept in on a small government mandate, while the majority of the state's workforce either directly or indirectly derives its income from the government is delusional, not optimistic.
OK I'm off to bed but I guess we have to see what percentage of the Tassie workforce is government managed. I find it hard to believe that's the majority.

I'll google this stuff tomorrow.

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rent, utilities, fuel etc are a joke. I thought grocery food wasn't too bad though compared to Brisbane?

You couldn't pay me to move back to Launceston, but I always enjoyed time in Hobart. If I had an absolute shitload of cash I'd consider moving there, but I guess if I was able to maintain a reasonable job there I'd be happier.

In my field it isn't anything in the state though.

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
OK I'm off to bed but I guess we have to see what percentage of the Tassie workforce is government managed. I find it hard to believe that's the majority.

I'll google this stuff tomorrow.
IS this what you are looking for? * Edit - I didn't post the linkl. D'oh! Sorry scblack. It had all the stats. I'll see if I can find the link again.

Floody is right about power in Tas. We only have one provider (Aurora Energy) so they have a monopoly on it. The Hydro sells them the power at a duper high price so Aurora are forced to pass on that huge price and then tag a bot on for themselves if they want to make a profit which means you get stung.
Your power can be hugely differen depending on where you live.

I lived in a place in newtown with shitty insualtion and the water tank was outside. I spent more than $5,000 anually on power alone.
However, the house I am in now, my quartely bill comes in at around $380.
You get used to turning all the lights and power points off when you aren't using them prety quick.

I don't seem to have any prolem with the proteins / meet that we eat.
Traditionally, the best and most tender meat is the stuff that is hung for a while, so if it's in transit for a few days it doesn't bother me. My steaks are always juicy and nice and I haven't noticed any difference to mainland meat at all.

My dad once said to me 'It's not where you live, it's what your'e doing that determines your quality of life".
You could have a tuscan manor and still sit at home and smoke bongs and play xbox. You can do that in a share flat out the back of Bankstown too.

If you are in health I imagine your work lifestyle would not be too different.
On your days off or your own time, Hobart is a lovely place.
There is more of a sense of community compared to other bigger cities I have lived in, and it's reasonably safe. I like that, but if you don't value that, and you weigh your scales using just the stuff that floody mentions then you may very well hate it here.

Last edited:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Trails-wise there are little to no great trails in Geelong, not legal ones anyway, but I suppose the You Yangs are roughly a 40min-1hr drive,
You Yangs 40mins - 1hr away from Geelong? What drugs are you smoking? Is this by PT?

Not sure about Torquay, trying not to go back to Canberra for all the reasons you recommend it. Too many wealthy, white upper middle class people is suffocating and soul destroying.... But will have a look when I'm there later this week.
The difference bewteen Canberra's wealthy, white upper middle class and Torquay's..........you'll find most of Torquay's are surf bums that made decent coin and therefore are much more relaxed and laid back....until you snake them in the line up!:thumb:

rone

Eats Squid
Back from a less jaded time in meet the Farkers...

7. What’s the riding scene like down in ‘the other part of the country’?

Freaking AWESOME. Tassie is an amazing place. Hobart is really more
like a big regional centre on the mainland, everybody is pretty chill,
the weather is pretty mild, you can ride pretty much all year round.
I don’t think theres another capital in the country where you can
drive 15 minutes from the dead centre of the CBD, unload and shred 20+
minute gravity runs. Trail variety is huge, from tight and tech to
loose and fast, rocky gnar to loamy singletrack, from fun push-up runs
on the edge of suburbia to all day epic trailrides where you hardly
see civilisation. And of course Tolosa Park, our nationals venue
which is rad.

We’ve got a really great race scene going on thanks to the likes of
Simon French* and a band of dedicated mums and dads running things,
and a massive crew of awesome racers like elite mens DH front runner
Kaine Cannan, national womens champion Leigh Douglas and a pile of up
and comer kids who tend to make me rather depressed about my own
declining speed. Oh and an over representation of enduro XC nutbags.
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?210434-67-Floody-(By-Mattydv)