X-Fusion Metric HLR Fork (160mm to 180mm, 36mm stanchions)

Ideate

Anyone sporting a set of these yet? Having run some Slants for a few months I think it'll be a good move over some Fox 36's. I'd welcome any feedback :)

Review here.

s780_X_Fusion_Metric_HLR_Fork.jpg
full_DTrumpore_XFusion_Vital_13_640291.jpg

Ideate

I haven't run metrics but I'd be glad to hear your thoughts on the Slants.
Light, stiff, adjustable (air plus rebound), cheap. Not as plushy as my previous Fox 36 Van (coils) but definitely not sticky like you'd assume when comparing air to coil. It only takes some hand force to get them started through their travel especially if running lower PSI. Not like my girlfriend's cheap arse RST air forks. HEAVY, STICKY, would almost be better to run a rigid fork with flat tyres.

Lockout handy for up hills, rebound has around 30 clicks of adjustability (and works more precise than the 36's). When in lockout you can feel them flex under load (I've forgotten to take it out of lockout a few times and bombed the start of a run). Takes 203mm discs with no adapter (might be an issue if you want smaller discs)?

15mm Axle end is annoying but you can unscrew the lever end cap off so it doesn't look like a bat-wing when you're riding.

34mm stanchions, 160mm travel, easy to service, videos online, diymtb are a good supplier (when they answer their emails). Did I say they're cheap?

Only reason I want to go with Metric's is more travel. Basically I'm hoping for the exact same thing + 20mm more travel (and a refreshed front end look, going from white forks to gun metal or black). I'll most likely miss the weight saving and lockout though.

:bananalama:

Last edited:

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Registered Post :thumb: I live in a remote spot, if we didn't use the post and sometimes couriers we would miss out on a lot of things ! nearly ten years and have never had anything go missing..

will2

Likes Dirt
I hate sending things of high value (more than $5). If you were in Melbourne I'd let you come get them now for $350.
Australia post has insurance for about $5-$10 extra on postage. I'm sure that blacksp20 will pay it. Come on now.

Ideate

Sorry lads it not only value, it's time (although value is a big factor). I have no idea where everyone on here gets the time during business hours to get to the post office... and I'm a teacher! I don't even have time to pickup shit that I miss. My last adventure to the local post office was like an episode of the fast and furious/Indiana jones.

Another recent story; I bought some forks off a fellow rotorburner in February this year for $700. The forks mysteriously dissapeared and now he's paying me $25 a week because he blew the money (a few months later). Granted, it was his fault for not insuring and sending properly but it's just a whole lot of shit you can avoid by simply selling local. I also admire him for not breaking contact and making it difficult for me to reclaim my fork money. There's some good honest people on here (some).

Anyway preference is for a local sale but if blacky really really REALLy wants them.. Then I'll find time to send (and insure) them.

moorey

call me Mia
Fwiw. If someone doesn't ask for registered, and it goes missing in the post...I ain't responsible and a ain't paying the money back. Simple as that.

dunndog

Eats Squid
You don't have to get to a post office. You can have a courier come pick them up from you in person, or have them picked up from your house or another address even if there's no one there... It really isn't very hard. Just sayin..

Ideate

Fwiw. If someone doesn't ask for registered, and it goes missing in the post...I ain't responsible and a ain't paying the money back. Simple as that.
Send me $700 now then... and I'll pretend to send you something of that value. Except I'll fuck it up and lose the imaginary $700 item, and blow the money on bike parts for myself. Then let you linger for 2 months -$700 before telling you the item is actually lost.

Admittedly I'm not telling you the whole story, but basically the forks were left to be picked up (as suggested) but were never picked up by the courier because they were not there (missing or stolen). So sorry, I don't agree with you moorsecode regarding this particular scenario but yes if I sent you.. Let's say some shimano brake lines and you never received them, I certainly wouldn't be inclined to send you your goodridge lines back (or pay crc to send you some newies).

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
In my case, for example, PO confirmed it made it to the there, registered that the item arrived, said they delivered it, wasn't a sign on delivery, buyer said he never got it. I gave guy something of half the value free. Not prepared to refund the full money on something like that. Call me a chunt. Most do.
Ps. WHERES MY BRAKE LINES!!!!

wotsis

Likes Dirt
I've been running a Metric pretty much since they've been available. Unfortunately, I haven't been riding all that much. Maybe just over ten to fifteen riding days on them.

Whenever anyone else has picked them up (I had the fork off recently) the comment is that they are surprising light for the travel. And whenever anyone has tried my bike, the comments have been about a surprisng lack of stiction (this was pretty much from day one).

My own observations: Not quite as plush as the Boxxer R2C2 (coil) that it replaced, but close enough that I only notice when pushing down standing next to the bike. When riding, I can't really notice a difference. Also a tad more stiction than a well broken in Van 36R that I've owned (but having compression control outweighs this easily). I weigh next to nothing so I have not noticed stiffness differences between any of these forks.

The machining is beautiful. The through-axle bolt arrangement is poorly thought out but not a deal-killer (just a surprising design oversight). The graphics on the carbon guards seem to be designed for teenagers, nothing that a can of black spraypaint can't fix.

Ideate

Metrics are in the post, I'll let you guys know what I think. Slants will be going up for sale shortly :)

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Nice.
Did you buy them direct from diymtb? I've enquired about getting some sweeps at a few shops in Sydney and none seem to be too interested in ordering them in. They prefer to try and sell me some overpriced fox forks instead. Must be a better margin for them on the fox.