AM Helmet

Warp

Likes Dirt
Sorry to resurrect this from the dead, but any input on the IXS Trail RS?

Is that AS/NZS compliant?

I'm looking at replacing my Giro Hex for something more ventilated. Looking at the MET Parabellum, MET Kaos and the IXS Trail RS.

Thanks!

omac

Likes Dirt
I'm sporting a Fox Striker my self, I chose the Titanium colour to match my eyes :drama:

Last edited:

maxpowers

Likes Bikes
Hi guys, has anyone tried or own a MET parabellum? thinking of buying one from CELL bikes, just wondering if it's worth the money or go with something like the BELL super. Any feedback would be great!

Cheers,

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Own a bell super and had a 661 recon before that (661 went in the bin after a crash). The super has better coverage that the 661; however, it does come at the cost of a bit of ventilation, especially around the back of the head (nothing too bad). Both fit my head well and don’t put pressure on any area. I’m happy with the super and generally go out for 3+ hour rides with a lot of pedaling.

Helmets are all about fit so you’ll probably need to try one on before pulling the trigger. If you can try one on and it fits well and looks like it has good enough ventilation of your riding then go with it. The interweb has a review for most helmets which will cover ventilation, fit is all about your head and reviews won’t tell you much.

will2

Likes Dirt
Bought a Fox striker not long ago, the LBS had a sale on Fox. Was between the flux and striker, but didn't like the spoiler the flux had.

Trumpy

Squid
Bell Supers $97 this week from Mountainbikesdirect.com.au.
I bought one a couple of weeks ago at their normal price and received next day, very happy with it.

Ideate

Bell Supers $97 this week from Mountainbikesdirect.com.au.
Awesome price. I bought one a few weeks ago for around $140. I had a 661 recon but didn't like the feel/fit (it's for sale if anyone's interested). Ventilation was good though, cold almost!

The Bell Super is my favourite though.. I look at it sometimes. Just because it makes me feel like riding. I'm looking at it now (on the internet - not my actually helmet.. I think I'll go put it on now).

maxpowers

Likes Bikes
I've heard that the Bell Super is large in size. If your normally a medium buy a small. Can I get some feedback on that. I'm on the border of small and medium. My head size is 55cms.

Cheers,

Dan.

Trumpy

Squid
I've heard that the Bell Super is large in size. If your normally a medium buy a small. Can I get some feedback on that. I'm on the border of small and medium. My head size is 55cms.

Cheers,

Dan.
I'm borderline Med/large at 59cm, went for the large and it fits great. My old Fox Flux was large too, and I wouldn't say the sizing of the Bell feels any different ie a bigger sizing than normal. I reckon your safer winding the adjustment in a bit than not having it fit at all.

Heaps better ventilation than the fox too, might need a beanie in winter!

maxpowers

Likes Bikes
I'm borderline Med/large at 59cm, went for the large and it fits great. My old Fox Flux was large too, and I wouldn't say the sizing of the Bell feels any different ie a bigger sizing than normal. I reckon your safer winding the adjustment in a bit than not having it fit at all.

Heaps better ventilation than the fox too, might need a beanie in winter!
Thanx Trumpy for the info. Still deciding whether to go with the Bell or something else like the IXS.

Cheers,

Dan.

PETE9300

Likes Bikes
Yeah maxpowers do yourself a favour and have a look at the Bell Super, went to LBS today to try on as well as Fox Flux.

Flux sat really high on my noggin and I wasn't all that impressed with the strap system, it kinda floats through a loop at the rear of the helmet so when you grab the strap on one side it pulls the left side through as well, not a big issue but im old and like to have things work efficiently all the time.

The Bell Super is just that, very impressive, it sits low on my head with great coverage. Dial wheel at rear is one handed operation, three vertical position at the rear for the adjuster as well. Strap system is simple, easy to use and does not float around when you grab one side.( when not wearing the helmet)

Size wise I measure up at 57cm, the Bell Medium sizing is 55cm to 59cm and it me fits perfectly with the adjustment wheel at the rear in the midrange position so I still have room to tweak it if needed. With the Fox Flux I struggled to get a good fit with any adjustment that I made.

With the IXS stuff when I did my research on those most folk said great lid but pretty much everyones report commented on how low the front of the lid sits on your face, obscuring vision when heading up a climb, that's what put me off the IXS.
Also folks reviews that have gone from the IXS to the Super rant and rave about the Super being a better unit.

So did I buy it too right !!!! Just have to get past my ankle reconstruction b4 heading out to try it.

Obviously everyones noggin and needs are a bit different, I am glad I took the trouble to try them on and suggest with what ever you buy try it hands on, your head is too important not to have the correct fit.

Hope this has been of help and just Google the Super, IXS etc and make your own judgements as to what will work for you.

Cheers Pete

maxpowers

Likes Bikes
Hi Pete,

Thanx for the feedback. I just found out that Bell Super is being sold in Anaconda stores, which is great cause I can now try it on. I was having trouble finding a store to try it out. The IXS is interesting but again no place to try it on. Great risk to buy it online. So it's back to the Bell Super or A1.

Cheers,

Dan.

PETE9300

Likes Bikes
Gday maxpowers try one out at Annaconda then hook up with mountain bikes direct at present they have them for $97.00 plus $9.00 postage cant go wrong at that price.

I bought mine from LBS at 150 ish down from 180 odd retail, still happy as I got good advice on fork oils etc that I purchased also so Im happy to support local LBS under those conditons, seriously Ive been around for a fair bit and don't get too excited by a lot of things but the Bell product rocks for me.

Hope you find what you like, you wont be disappointed......now if I can just pump up my rehab over this damn ankle injury to get out and try it Id be stoked

Good luck :wave:

Kano555

Squid
Absolutely love the bell super i bought a few weeks ago. Was previously using a Protec Ace which was pretty much a bmx helmet.

The super has loads more ventilation and the visor at the front goes up high if you need it out of the way.

mason33

Likes Dirt
I've had a Fox flux for the best part of 3 years and have never really liked it from day one (ordered online) and here's what I don't like about it:

- the straps are unsecured at the back
- 1 peice front pad collects a lot of sweat
- poor sizing, should be L&XL not L/XL
- heavy at +400g you notice it on your head
- the back adjustment pulls to one side
- vents are too small and don't work well
- my choice of colour, black, absorbs heat
- styling is questionable with the fin thing
- moves around on your even when tight
- very hot after even a short ride

Anyone recommend a helmet doesn't suffer these issues?

Last edited:
I bought a Fox something.. cant remember, paid only $45 brand new for it, but that was on sale, also from crc.
i dont like the fox as much as the urge but it does the job