AM [Update] 2014 Gaint Trance 650b

VEX33D

Likes Dirt
Really loving the changes to the 2014 model Trances! The geo, spec and pricing look great, I'm hanging for the next Giant demo day in my local area to throw a leg over.

The Trance is definitely on the short list, nice bike!

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Got a trance advanced SX. Its is seriously the farking bomb.
Best small bike ive ever ridden

teK--

Eats Squid
Love the stealth black look!

With the Shadow+ derailleurs I have found they can be improved a fair bit by removing the clutch cover and tighten the clutch a couple of turns. Not too much though it can make the shifter lever too heavy to press.

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers for the update hayden, a longer term review would be cool - if you can (with all the pros and cons).. :thumb:

Love the stealth black look!

With the Shadow+ derailleurs I have found they can be improved a fair bit by removing the clutch cover and tighten the clutch a couple of turns. Not too much though it can make the shifter lever too heavy to press.
You little 'teK' guru - cheers for the tip..:thumb:

Last edited:

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Finally got the bike back after having to warranty the fork, very happy with them now.
Pretty much done with upgrades although a dropper might be coming in the future..
Updated pic on first post

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What happened with your fork?
I am keen to know also, did they give you a description of the problem & what they replaced? .. (Caught up with a fellow rider 'on a 1024 Anthem Advanced 1 - Fox 32 Float CTD ) .. He was not happy with them at all.. Sent them to NS Dynamics with only a little improvement after a 'disassemble/rebuild' ($90.00) .. 2014 fox ???????

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From what I was told the staunchion was not in the crown all the way causing poor performance. I got it warrantied through FTR and they feel 100% better new. Have a new upper crown assembly, seals and oil. I'm actually real happy with the forks performance now, very smooth. What I expected it to be in the first place.

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
'From what I was told the staunchion was not in the crown all the way causing poor performance'. Jeez man, that sounds dangerous - I dread to think what may have happened if you forks failed during a high speed 'gnarly descent'.. Anyway - cheers for the reply and all the best with the bike..:thumb:

teK--

Eats Squid
Fox gotta pick up their game; you never really hear of any issues with recent Rockshox...

Benlow

Likes Bikes
Fox gotta pick up their game; you never really hear of any issues with recent Rockshox...
I think it's just expected of Rockshox so less people complain. Case in point, the compression damper of my new Boxxers didn't even survive the first ride... Bike looks sick Hayden, excited to demo one of these bikes at Gap Creek this weekend!

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it's just expected of Rockshox so less people complain. Case in point, the compression damper of my new Boxxers didn't even survive the first ride... Bike looks sick Hayden, excited to demo one of these bikes at Gap Creek this weekend!
Ah yeah my buddy is going there to demo a yeti and a pivot. Say Hi to Harry and Ricko at Giant, tell them to do more sprints ;)

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Plus the first batch of Pikes had major bushing issues..

Optic

Likes Dirt
Hey mate, nice bike. I've got the same one ;-). How do you find your brake set up compared to the standard ones it came with?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate, nice bike. I've got the same one ;-). How do you find your brake set up compared to the standard ones it came with?

Huge improvement, those stock brakes sucked a$$

Optic

Likes Dirt
Think i got them from mountainbikesdirect.com
set them up myself
Cheers mate. Also how do you find the minion on the front? I'm currently running ardents front and rear but finding it a bit hairy at the front. Was thinking a minion or high roller.