Ford Ranger MTB ad

Big JD

Wheel size expert
who cares about the vehicles

was it the dirt art crew?

what bikes were they riding?

26/27.5/29er wheels and which one looked best on the screen

where they running a tubeless setup and if so how much did the rider weigh and how many psi?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Having used one of these Ranger's off road (3.2 diesel)...no amount of mountain bike based advertising would ever tempt me to part with my hard earned for one. Or its Mazda brethren. As someone has already pointed out...you are too surrounded by body and trim to even see out of the damn thing - plainly stupid. I've had better sightlines in an F-150.

In the local car park sprint to fleet race at the missus workplace...between the current Triton, Ranger and Amarok...everyone targets the Amarok's and losers get the Triton. Hilux has become too exey for many fleet managers. Our own fleet runs Izuzu now after flirting & failing with Triton and Great Wall (the latter of which makes Ranger feel like a Bentley).

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Having used one of these Ranger's off road (3.2 diesel)...no amount of mountain bike based advertising would ever tempt me to part with my hard earned for one. Or its Mazda brethren. As someone has already pointed out...you are too surrounded by body and trim to even see out of the damn thing - plainly stupid. I've had better sightlines in an F-150.

In the local car park sprint to fleet race at the missus workplace...between the current Triton, Ranger and Amarok...everyone targets the Amarok's and losers get the Triton. Hilux has become too exey for many fleet managers. Our own fleet runs Izuzu now after flirting & failing with Triton and Great Wall (the latter of which makes Ranger feel like a Bentley).
Great Walls any good Silent? Is feeling like a Bentley a good or bad thing?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
The V6 rodeo is the worst vehicle ever to have the misfortune to be assembled in a Mumbai sweat shop. Old man has the diesel which isn't bad. We ran the V6s as our site fleet until the leases expired then set them all on fire, which increased their value. We have tritons now, and the lag is unbelievable, need to put in your calendar when you want to accelerate. Have had more than one close call at the Dalton road/settlement road roundabout. I'd steer clear of the Colorado and go directly to the dmax. The Colorado is made from recycled nappies.

To answer your query Big JD, save yourself the cost of a great wall and just leap off the Bolte bridge, same result.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Great Walls any good?
They are fucking awful, JD. Just fucking awful. You may remember the TATA ute (indian made with a licensed Peugeot diesel) that was around in the mid 90's. Yes? Well they were better than a current Great Wall.

I refused to drive them after the turbo lag between 1st and 2nd nearly killed me.

Optic

Likes Dirt
Out of the new, remodelled dual cabs the Isuzu is definitely the pick. They make trucks, what more do you need to tell you they are tough and well built.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

redbruce

Eats Squid
Out of the new, remodelled dual cabs the Isuzu is definitely the pick. They make trucks, what more do you need to tell you they are tough and well built.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Apart from the indifferent build quality.

We have Rangers, Tritons, Hilux and Colorado's at work, all diesels.

Every Colorado has poor fitting interior (mainly dash but some door) trim, doors that are stiff to operate and many with water in the tail lights.

We have also had the water in fuel warning come up randomly, even though service hasnt found any water in the fuel.

Zero probs/issues with the Rangers so far and most powerful of them all (I've not personally had experience with the Triton, have had a few issues with Hilux - what on earth is Toyota thinking?)

In fact the Ford falcon fleet have also been more reliable than the VE commodores (based on warranty claims - used to be the other way around), and lets not even get into Captiva issues. Holden are running at $1M/week on warranty claims - Used car reviews and pricing seems to reflect this also. Having said that my VX Acclaim has been more reliable and cheaper to run over the last 12 years than any of my Euro cars before it, despite a life of towing, Ex wifes abuse of it and two learner drivers. Where did they go wrong?

Despite my lack of love for ford as a brand, the Ranger is the best of our diesel work trucks, although I personally prefer to drive the Hilux because it is smaller (and the previous; better quality in my experience, Rodeo/Colorado).

Last edited:

oriion

Likes Dirt
I have a 2011 F350 as my daily currently - best truck i've ever owned.

Still prefer the late 70/early 80's models. Have 1 of them as well.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As someone has already pointed out...you are too surrounded by body and trim to even see out of the damn thing - plainly stupid. I've had better sightlines in an F-150.
It's all about the static stats unfortunately. Many fleets will not buy less than ancap 5 (government policy means many are mandated to), and this basically requires the higher sills to provide more rigidity in the event of a side impact, even though without that and the massive A pillar you might have seen the other car coming.

As for the ad, good on Rob for getting the sport out there, dirt art are top blokes.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I have a 2011 F350 as my daily currently - best truck i've ever owned.
Shirley you jest. The F series trucks of the last 30 years have been assembled by a team of blind ducks, have the brakes from a Hillman Hunter and the materials used to manufacture the interiors are recycled from Captain and Tennille records.

The FTrucks peaked in the late 50s.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's all about the static stats unfortunately. Many fleets will not buy less than ancap 5 (government policy means many are mandated to), and this basically requires the higher sills to provide more rigidity in the event of a side impact, even though without that and the massive A pillar you might have seen the other car coming.

As for the ad, good on Rob for getting the sport out there, dirt art are top blokes.
The 5 star ANCAP rating was the policy at my previous work too. They ended up with 3 BT50s. I thought they were fantastic. Fit a heap more stuff inside them than the previous hiluxs, more grunt and significantly better both on and offroad. Only issue I had was getting used to the 6 speed gearbox.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Shirley you jest. The F series trucks of the last 30 years have been assembled by a team of blind ducks, have the brakes from a Hillman Hunter and the materials used to manufacture the interiors are recycled from Captain and Tennille records.

The FTrucks peaked in the late 50s.
Agree, we used to have an F 100 then 150 as a tow vehicle for a while when we were into rallying, like driving a drunk barge.

However each to their own and he did qualify it saying its the best truck he's owned.

Last edited:

oriion

Likes Dirt
Agree, we used to have an F 100 then 150 as a tow vehicle for a while when we were into rallying, like driving a drunk barge.

However each to their own and he did qualify it saying its the best truck he's owned.
Exactly, It tows like a mofo, carries all my shit and dogs and kids - and is very comfortable for everyone - works for our lifestyle

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
fuck the ad. it's one of at least a dozen (i counted this many and then stopped) ads to feature biking as a means to sell product. yet, when it comes time to build a new facility the community is shunned and struggles to get them built. :tsk: If they're so into it, where's the new Ford Mtb Park ???

redbruce

Eats Squid
Whats the relevance of linking to a 2010 article about the previous PK model which has no linkage to the current PX one?
Yep, none, and they are completely different beasts in all aspects (including no 5cyl 3.2L engine in PK!).

Last edited:

DeBloot

Feeling old
fuck the ad. it's one of at least a dozen (i counted this many and then stopped) ads to feature biking as a means to sell product. yet, when it comes time to build a new facility the community is shunned and struggles to get them built. :tsk: If they're so into it, where's the new Ford Mtb Park ???
I'm with you :whistle:

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whats the relevance of linking to a 2010 article about the previous PK model which has no linkage to the current PX one?
They may be a different model but they are just as bad. They are breathless, cumbersome, have a warning that doesn't allow them to be driven over 120km/h (in my workplace) and everyone hates driving them. I take a Hyundai ILoad over the Ranger every time.