Giant OD2 fork?

minhbo

Likes Bikes
I have a Giant Trance Advanced 1 27.5 which is supposed to have an OD2 stem and an OD2 fork. OD2 is basically a 1.5" to 1 1/4" tapered fork steerer instead of the more common 1.5" to 1 1/8".

I'm looking at replacing my fork with a Pike which has the standard 1.5" to 1 1/8" taper. However measuring my current fork steerer, it appears to me that it is actually the standard 1 1/8"

Am I missing something here, or do I actually have a standard 1 1/8" fork?

Attachments

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Well, it certainly looks like it's std. The stem either has overdrive or overdrive 2 written on it . But it looks like the fork has been changed out on the bike before you got it - possible replaced as DOA maybe, and a 11/4 would have been harder to get hold of, so easier to replace with std and order a top headset in.

Have you had it since new, and if brand new, was it discounted floor stock?

minhbo

Likes Bikes
I had it since brand new and it was ordered new, not floor stock.

The stem and spacers have Overdrive2 written on it, which is weird because it does look like 1 1/8th.

Just wanted to confirm with someone else.

I don't mind it being standard actually, because it means changing to the Pike should be a whole lot easier. I was dreading having to get a new headset, stem etc...

gollum

Likes Bikes
trance advanced came with standard tappered in 2014. apparently in 2015 all of them are!
just checked my 2014 trance advance 0 definitely od2. shit got excited there for minute thought I might have standard steerer.
would have made it easier to sell my revs and update to pikes. nobody wants to buy second hand od2.

moorey

call me Mia
just checked my 2014 trance advance 0 definitely od2. shit got excited there for minute thought I might have standard steerer.
would have made it easier to sell my revs and update to pikes. nobody wants to buy second hand od2.
My mate might. His fox have stanchions wear from lazy maintenance. What have you got?

Just checked my trance 3.... Yep standard standard taper rather than OD2. I just bought an OD2 Float 32 :|. Don't suppose anyone's looking for an OD2 fork?

gollum

Likes Bikes
moorey I have dual position 120-140 rct3. I'm still a few months away from doing it. need to finish building my pivot first. will post them on here when I do. will pm you before I do and see if he's interested.

Last edited:

gollum

Likes Bikes
shit giant are all over the place with this. would think if you want to bring in a new standard, you would have it right across the range.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
trance advanced came with standard tappered in 2014. apparently in 2015 all of them are!
not according to the giant website they didn't.

Just checked my trance 3.... Yep standard standard taper rather than OD2. I just bought an OD2 Float 32 :|. Don't suppose anyone's looking for an OD2 fork?
shit giant are all over the place with this. would think if you want to bring in a new standard, you would have it right across the range.
lower level bikes dont have OD2, higher level bikes do. ie trance 3 is regular OD, trance 1 is OD2.

moorey

call me Mia
moorey I have dual position 120-140 rct3. I'm still a few months away from doing it. need to finish building my pivot first. will post them on here when I do. will pm you before I do and see if he's interested.
Oh, and he's a 29" loser (anthem), which I didn't mention :doh:

gollum

Likes Bikes
Oh, and he's a 29" loser (anthem), which I didn't mention :doh:
I'm going to be stripping my anthem 29er in the next week or two. has the last of the dual air sid rct3 at 110mm.
was going to sell frame and fork together. but can split it if he's interested.