Post your Roadie

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
love the 695!

the things i would do for a 695 Aerolight with the concealed brake... ugh!
The aero brakes are just horrid if you weigh over 70kgs. Bugger-all power compared to a traditional brake. Have one currently sitting at work for that reason.

Aero brakes look cool, but are annoying as fk to work on! (same as any TT bike ever built) At least these have some adjustment. The worst brakes I've ever worked on are on the Ridley Noah Fasts, used 3 brake cables just trying to get them to stop dragging on one-side.

scblack

Leucocholic
I hate those mysterious clicks, they can be a bugger to chase down.

In the past, mine have been caused by:
Very slightly sticky link in a chain
Very slightly loose cleat bolt
Pedal threads
Loose chainring bolt.

And sometimes, when I thought the noise was from the BB, it was seatpost clamp, saddle rail clamp, and once even stem bolt.

Now that I look at this list, I think I really really need a torque wrench.
Oh, just remembered, if I unclip my left foot and pedal right footed it does not click, if I unclip my right pedal and pedal left footed it does not click. I tried that yesterday. Maybe that is just pressing a different load to the BB bearing?

I gave the bike a thorough going over at lunch time, where tightened done to 8nm:
  • Changed pedals
  • Changed cleats
  • Changed shoes
  • Wore my 5-10s flats
  • Tightened clamp for front derailleur
  • Tightened front derailleur bolt to clamp
  • Tightened chainring bolts
  • Tightened drink bottle holder bolts
  • Clicks away in big and little ring
  • Its now clicking while pedalling backwards too
  • It is clicking when the left pedal is in the downward position every pedal stroke.

Still farking clicking! Aarrgggh!

I reckon it has to be a BB bearing. Its due for a new chain and I'll change the cassette too to Chorus and get this checked out. Into BikeBug North Sydney it goes.

Cheers guys.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Good Luck SC, hope they can chase it down for you.

Sounds like it's getting worse..........................cracked frame?:behindsofa:

Bodin

GMBC
That's what the shop reckons, but they're saying grease. I have no BB tools.
Been watching this story with interest, as I have a very similar noise issue and have already been through swapping a number of parts without success.

Fortunately, I have BB tools and now have a different BB to try, so hopefully it's good-bye to the weird squeak I've been living with for the last 6 months.

Good luck with your click. May peace return to your riding soon.

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
And for something a little bit different...

Salsa Colossal 2

Steel frame, carbon forks and disk brakes - tick, tick and tick!

Attachments

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
Been watching this story with interest, as I have a very similar noise issue and have already been through swapping a number of parts without success.

Fortunately, I have BB tools and now have a different BB to try, so hopefully it's good-bye to the weird squeak I've been living with for the last 6 months.

Cheers Bodin, I dropped it off to the shop today, will let you know my result.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers Bodin, I dropped it off to the shop today, will let you know my result.
that click just reminded me of the one I had, it turned out to be the spoke magnet on the spoke had turned sideways and was hitting the chain stay under load.

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
I had a really annoying click. I changed:

Pedal spindles
Pedal bearings
Changed cleats
Changed bottom bracket
Re-greased the speedplay pedal numerous times
Re-greased the speedplay cleats numerous times

Nothing was working. It was also related to temperaure, the noise was louder when it was hotter (which is why I thought it was related to the pedal grease)

It turns out that the shoulder on the pedal spindle was every so slightly larger than the crank/spindle recess/rebate. This meant the pedal shoulder was sitting above the recess. There was not enough surface area and everytime I put down some power it "slipped" and made a clicking noise.

Solution was to put in some pedal washers to increase the surface area. Problem went away.

scblack

Leucocholic

OK, I picked it up last night. Clicking has gone. They just pulled the BB out, regreased and set it up again. Apparently my bike has an alloy sleeve for the BB30 and this can cause issues. Its quite wet to ride at the moment so I have only ridden up and down a footpath for my test.

Chucked on a Record chain and Chorus cassette.

They managed to gouge decent holes out of my seatpost with their workstand, and they are sending it off to a carbon repairer to restore matters. See this they are quite deep, I was spewing:
Seatpost 4.jpg

Pastavore

Eats Squid
You know, in all my years of cycling that is the first time I can remember a "bottom bracket noise" actually coming from a bottom bracket.

Re the damage to your bike, that sucks, hope that shop has some decent insurance.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
how do you take such large chunks out on a workstand. :wacko:

at least your creak is sorted... mine started creaking the other day, but it seems to have disappeared. hopefully it stays that way.