Yarra Trails regulars

Big AC

Likes Dirt
Isn't that a rock ledge?
Heading up the switchbacks before you head down to the leaky dam, after you go between the narrowish tree gap but before you reach small rock garden area at the top. Isn't that a log there, never looked to close always just rode over it and assumed it was a log?

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just saw a post on this in Mullum mullum mountain bikers fb page if you want more detail. Hope he just got carried away and explored beyond his navigation skills and they find him safe.

Last edited:

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just did the full loop of Smiths, no sign of him. Apparently his phone signal shows him over Kinglake. He was a very experienced rider. Very worrying.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Correctamondo
But no sign of him/her today. Very quiet on the loop (apart from the orienteering? event on).

I did find a trail off to the right on the final downhill section as you head down toward the river (anti clock), that heads off towards the orchard.

So I decided to follow it. Well worn eventually trail disappears up through the apple trees but I did come upon approx. 4 dozen eastern greys feeding in amongst the trees. Never seen that many in one spot before. Magnificent, and when they moved off looked like a "swarm" or a scene from Africa with the wilderbeast herd stampeding. Absolutely awesome scene.

Also good to see MTB'ers supporting the orchard cafe there. Many a caffeine hitup in progress.

Last edited:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Also good to see MTB'ers supporting the cafe there. Many a caffeine hitup in progress.
Just saw a news article on Channel 9 about the missing rider. In fact it was the first article of the program. I can also confirm:
* the police were there this morning/afternoon
* the cafe makes very tasty hamburger and hot chips
* even though Jim has a bad knee he can still ride very fast

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just had a look at his rides on STRAVA for (Paul Pagliaro, of Montmorency) and you can see a mtb loop he does from Smiths gully.

http://www.strava.com/activities/180861059

as we know we usually keep with known routes I'd bet he'd be on that loop somewhere in KL.

just spoke to cops and they have some other routes to look into as well so hoping he gets found.

guys if I didn't have kids to look after I could ride that route with ayups ... you never know. cops are waiting till morning.

Last edited:

CharlieDontSurf

Likes Dirt
But no sign of him/her today. Very quiet on the loop (apart from the orienteering? event on).

I did find a trail off to the right on the final downhill section as you head down toward the river (anti clock), that heads off towards the orchard.

So I decided to follow it. Well worn eventually trail disappears up through the apple trees but I did come upon approx. 4 dozen eastern greys feeding in amongst the trees. Never seen that many in one spot before. Magnificent, and when they moved off looked like a "swarm" or a scene from Africa with the wilderbeast herd stampeding. Absolutely awesome scene.

Also good to see MTB'ers supporting the orchard cafe there. Many a caffeine hitup in progress.
Redbruce what were you riding today. I was at Hans too. Saw a 2m tiger snake crossing the paved path near the orienteering event centre. All the kids were taking photos

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just saw a news article on Channel 9 about the missing rider. In fact it was the first article of the program. I can also confirm:
* the police were there this morning/afternoon
* the cafe makes very tasty hamburger and hot chips
* even though Jim has a bad knee he can still ride very fast

Thanks for the awesome day Court. Looking forward to the next ride at Smiths; it will hurt trying to keep up w you. :)

Woke up early and I first thought to check about the missing rider but no news. :(

jathanas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
RIP. He died doing what he loved.

I'm really sad about this.

For those of you that don't have an Icedot, please get one.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
so terribly sad- for family and friends.

we all ride on our own in remote areas - Lets ensure that we all give instructions to others when we are off on our own in unpopulated areas. Even a text to a mate you normally ride with.

if a relatively healthy person can suffer a health issue (heart attack?) makes me think about the not so healthy, over 45 years, overweight and unfit riders like myself that go out and smash themselves on weekends. As we come into summer the heat puts even greater stress on the body. Message to self- loose the kilos and get fit.

Beej1

Message to self- loose the kilos and get fit.
I reckon we'll learn that this guy was pretty fit already. Not that losing weight and getting fitter is a bad thing JD - I'm right there with you. But it's a sobering thought that sometimes you can be as fit as an elite athlete and something in your body just says nope (if that's what it turns out to be).

Agreed that we should try and let other riders who know the area know where we're going. I always carry a phone, but I've no idea of the coverage on my SG loop.

Feel so bad for this guy's family. Thoughts go out to them.