Emergency vehicles using motorways...

oxmo

Squid
This is a bit random but I was curious.

Does anyone know if emergency vehicles including Police, Fire, Ambulance etc need to pay the tolls on motorways or has the government struck a deal that makes it toll free for them?

Other info; I am located in Sydney and am referring to the M2, M5 & M7 but of course the question could apply to any toll roads nationwide.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They generally go through free. There was a period where e-tags were used to save sending out fines on roads when they went cashless. Not sure if they are still doing that now as I no longer work in Sydney.

ChopSticks

Banned
This is a bit random but I was curious.

Does anyone know if emergency vehicles including Police, Fire, Ambulance etc need to pay the tolls on motorways or has the government struck a deal that makes it toll free for them?

Other info; I am located in Sydney and am referring to the M2, M5 & M7 but of course the question could apply to any toll roads nationwide.

had a similar discussion with a mate whos in the force.

the coppers you see (highway patrol) that sit/camp there are waiting for the guy whos flying 40km/h over the limit and wont bling an eye if you're a little bit over.
they are paid by the motorway company to help clear traffic in the case of an accident.... so I assume the motorway company will cover any tolls.

I asked him, how easy it would be for them to fold the seat down and have a nap. He aid the motor company usually have people going around to check the police are working etc.

stirk

Burner
If a police car stops in a no stopping zone will a parking inspector come along and fine him?

I stay up at night thinking about this very question...

oxmo

Squid
had a similar discussion with a mate whos in the force.

the coppers you see (highway patrol) that sit/camp there are waiting for the guy whos flying 40km/h over the limit and wont bling an eye if you're a little bit over.
they are paid by the motorway company to help clear traffic in the case of an accident.... so I assume the motorway company will cover any tolls.

I asked him, how easy it would be for them to fold the seat down and have a nap. He aid the motor company usually have people going around to check the police are working etc.
Very interesting, I was always curious because I have not spotted an e-tag on any of their windscreens.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Very interesting, I was always curious because I have not spotted an e-tag on any of their windscreens.
Hmmm, very curious indeed!

No Government vehicle in Victoria have e tag's either.

Hmmmm, curiouser and curiouser (actually not, they have deal with providers for photo capture)

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Considering its basically government funded anyway, I dont see why the government would pay itself...
Not necessarily. Tolled roads are owned by the company contracted to build them, if not wholly, then to a large extent. Tolls collected go into their pockets, not the government's, until such time sufficient income from tolling has been collected to recoup their costs. Then it becomes publically-owned infrastructure.. So tolls charged to government (including emergency) vehicles would still go towards purchasing the road from private enterprise.

Whether or not such vehicles are actually tolled, well I haven't a clue.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
If a police car stops in a no stopping zone will a parking inspector come along and fine him?

No point mate. Police vehicles are exempt under the road rules, and may park in a no stopping zone or indeed pretty much any signed roadside area "if it is safe and reasonable to do so". Even in a disabled car parking space.

stirk

Burner
No point mate. Police vehicles are exempt under the road rules, and may park in a no stopping zone or indeed pretty much any signed roadside area "if it is safe and reasonable to do so". Even in a disabled car parking space.
Damn, seems I have much to learn about being sarcastic as my attempts seem to fail!

OP: Where is that stupid questions thread?

Beaker74

Likes Dirt

Ambulances get fined, and many have, for stopping in no standing zones, but only when they are not on a job. When they are on a case however, they can pretty much do as they like. :whoo:

Brisbane ambulances also carry e-tags. As to whether any money actually changes hands I don't know.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whilst enforcing the law. You forgot that bit. I think some cops do to.

stirk

Burner
Comon people, let's not start bashing the authorities, (Police, Ambo's, Firemen, SES, etc) if you're man or women enough to be one of em kudos to you, it's a hard job they do. Sure some small minority of em might bend the rules but....

this thread is pointless.

Beaker74

Likes Dirt
Comon people, let's not start bashing the authorities, (Police, Ambo's, Firemen, SES, etc) if you're man or women enough to be one of em kudos to you, it's a hard job they do. Sure some small minority of em might bend the rules but....

this thread is pointless.
Who's bashing the authorities?

It's all true. Except for the firies, they do nothing. :boink:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Damn, seems I have much to learn about being sarcastic as my attempts seem to fail!

OP: Where is that stupid questions thread?
Lol, I was thinking, if a man says something in the forest and there is no woman to hear him, is he still wrong?

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Allegedly Green fleet military vehicles also no charge, and do not have e-tags. I guess the number plate recognition picks up the defence plate and doesn't send a bill.

- joel

Last edited:

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
+ they are also allowed to answer mobile phones without a handsfree
Yeah, police have special super powers which means they can be on the phone yet remain undistracted & perfectly safe.

I believe there's a 7 month course in Goulburn for this, followed by some simple brain surgery.

scblack

Leucocholic
Not necessarily. Tolled roads are owned by the company contracted to build them, if not wholly, then to a large extent. Tolls collected go into their pockets, not the government's, until such time sufficient income from tolling has been collected to recoup their costs. Then it becomes publically-owned infrastructure.. So tolls charged to government (including emergency) vehicles would still go towards purchasing the road from private enterprise.
Sorry not correct.

Toll roads are paid for by private companies, that's correct. The period the tolls go to the private company is a set period of time - usually 25 years. Then it passes back to government hands.

So the company has 25 years to recoup the construction costs and gain profit.