Would bike shops match online prices?

markgab

Likes Dirt
Question is, would a bikeshop match crc/wiggle prices?
Im pretty sure they wouldnt ....
But hey would they match Australias local prices? (Pushy/mtbdirect)

Whats your verdict?

I wanna buy local but not at like 80~100% more.... Wouldnt mind paying 25-35%.
Whats your take?

Be thick skin and ask and hopefully they dont get offended or just buy online?

moorey

call me Mia
Sometimes.
Often, their wholesale is more than online retail.

Edit. Didn't read properly. As above.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Curious where are these prices marked up 80-100%
At most I think even compared to crc and wiggle local prices are only ~30% marked up.

Id think local mtb store online prices its reasonable to ask to price match because they are still sold within Australia and therefore are on a level playing field still. Although each store will have their own deals with whole sale so some might be able to go lower than others.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Id think local mtb store online prices its reasonable to ask to price match because they are still sold within Australia and therefore are on a level playing field still. Although each store will have their own deals with whole sale so some might be able to go lower than others.
it's reasonable to ask, but also reasonable to be refused :). Smaller shops can't match, say mountainbikesdirect, on most things. The volume isn't there. Not all stores can buy in the same volume, can't access the same volume discounts, and therefore can't do the same retail prices. I've heard indirectly of wholesalers setting up deals with particular retailers, but that again is based on volume and/or restrictions on the product range.

In the place I work, it really depends. We realise we can't compete on price, and are happy to fit stuff you buy online. And there are a host of reasons why it isn't viable to sell you stuff for the same prices a lot of the time. Other shops have different ideas/deals/policies.

will2

Likes Dirt
I was speaking to one of the blokes at my LBS and said of the the price of Deore brakes on CRC. He said that what CRC was asking was significantly less than their wholesale price. So yeah, I know it is only one product, but i do not think they will match online prices.

antonfourie

Likes Dirt
Just remember that most advertised prices are set on a global level by the manufacturer so you might find that your LBS can match prices if you ask them, also if you are getting it online from overseas you need to add the 10% tax and 5% duty to the cost of the bike.

Parts on the other hand are very hard to match, mainly because CRC by so cheap.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Curious where are these prices marked up 80-100%
At most I think even compared to crc and wiggle local prices are only ~30% marked up.

Pardon? Xt cassette in oz $90 at pushys, $46 at CRC, xt chain $25 CRC, $60 at lbs and online locals. Don't need to check anymore, but that's completely within my expectations. Not so much on smaller volume products like chainrings, and sram gear. As a result, I keep spares of all consumables - $ 60 for a mid level chain is a disgrace IMO. Blame is with the distribution model and retail accepted margins I think

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Just remember that most advertised prices are set on a global level by the manufacturer so you might find that your LBS can match prices if you ask them, also if you are getting it online from overseas you need to add the 10% tax and 5% duty to the cost of the bike.
for bikes, yeah - the RRP comes from the manufacturer and there is sometimes room to move. Sometimes a list price in a shop has already got the slack cut out, eg list price already < RRP. Components less so. High end components, even less so.

You have better luck if the local shop are not arseholes, you can build a relationship with them, so on and so forth. Also don't forget that a shop you build a relationship with might already have thrown in lots of stuff, like when you go in for a gear fiddle and come out with lots more minor tweakage done for you because you're nice.

I wanted to add I'm not having a whinge, it's just business. that's life, that's how it is. Little shops need to work smart, not hard :)

marc.r

Likes Dirt
I was speaking to one of the blokes at my LBS and said of the the price of Deore brakes on CRC. He said that what CRC was asking was significantly less than their wholesale price. So yeah, I know it is only one product, but i do not think they will match online prices.
its an increasing reality in retail around the world. retailers need to understand how they can provide value to both their supplier while remaining comeptitive to the consumer. their just isnt scope for 10-20% margins at every stage of the supply chain anymore.

increasingly the winners are those can can make the supply chain more efficient. if you think of most of the successful 21st century retailers be they bricks and mortar or online this is what they do.

the thing is... CRC probably does way more volume then the aus distributor for shimano. CRC is a better supply chain system then the traditional one. its cheaper for shimano and its cheaper for the customers. the only issue is that you arnt really protected by Australian consumer law but how much is that protection worth to you?

if you were shimano would you rather ship to a bunch of distros around the world and maintain those relationships/communication channels or have an electronic inventory system that goes straight from the factory direct to CRCs warehouse who manages your worldwide distribution and sales support?

as far as i'm concerned its only logical shimano as the market leader with a significant brand demand should choose a couple of big online partners and allow them to dominate the international aftermarket for their parts.

for pure supply chain efficiency one or two online retailers would be best but the issue is if one gets too powerful/large marketshare then you gotta bust them up or they will start dictating prices to you and you will have no option but to take it because they are the only place customers go... sort of like how milk producers get their ass handed to them by colesworth to the point that its cheaper for cornerstores etc to buy their milk from the megamarkets then from the wholesaler.

antonfourie

Likes Dirt
for bikes, yeah - the RRP comes from the manufacturer and there is sometimes room to move. Sometimes a list price in a shop has already got the slack cut out, eg list price already < RRP. Components less so. High end components, even less so.

You have better luck if the local shop are not arseholes, you can build a relationship with them, so on and so forth. Also don't forget that a shop you build a relationship with might already have thrown in lots of stuff, like when you go in for a gear fiddle and come out with lots more minor tweakage done for you because you're nice.

I wanted to add I'm not having a whinge, it's just business. that's life, that's how it is. Little shops need to work smart, not hard :)
For sure they do and the margins are not what people think they are, there are also some antiquated ideas about business from some manufacturers that force the whole, factory - importer - bike shop chain that adds costs along the way. I think that in the future we are going to see more direct route cutting out the margins of the past and the extra hop.

Years ago in the UK (2005) the shops had a cartel on the price where they would be factory at say $100 - importer $200 - shop $400, but those days are long gone now and yes it is time for all here to change how things work.

This is the new age of retail and the customer is going to be the winner.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Question is, would a bikeshop match crc/wiggle prices?
Im pretty sure they wouldnt ....
But hey would they match Australias local prices? (Pushy/mtbdirect)

Whats your verdict?

I wanna buy local but not at like 80~100% more.... Wouldnt mind paying 25-35%.
Whats your take?

Be thick skin and ask and hopefully they dont get offended or just buy online?
Yes but of course it depends on several factors. I've built up a fantastic relationship with my LBS to the point where I buy the mechanic's lunch when I'm dropping in.

This week they matched the price on XT brake's, taking a loss on the brakes because they paid more than them as a set including rotors, which they'll now have to sell to make profit.

They understand that they make the best money on servicing and by looking after me on parts like this I'll continue to have all my bikes maintained there.

So yes bike stores will match overseas prices, providing they can, but don't expect them to do it first time you walk in off the street, unless you're also carrying some deep fried sushi and cake.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
And just to give an example of a product that should be the turnover item of an LBS - the humble chain.

XT chain in OZ is RRP $70 ! Yet I buy em for $25 - that is just a crazy margin, and CRC aren't the only ones at that price, and have always been half the price of aus lbs which implies they ain't getting no spectacular deal from shimano , because they have been killing the price from day one - best price plusa very tight and small margin to gain turnover

driftking

Wheel size expert
Pardon? Xt cassette in oz $90 at pushys, $46 at CRC, xt chain $25 CRC, $60 at lbs and online locals. Don't need to check anymore, but that's completely within my expectations. Not so much on smaller volume products like chainrings, and sram gear. As a result, I keep spares of all consumables - $ 60 for a mid level chain is a disgrace IMO. Blame is with the distribution model and retail accepted margins I think
Wow that's ridiculous.
Still I thought the OP was saying Australian prices are varying by 80-100% from online aus stores to in store. Id like to see that gap.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Sometimes.
Often, their wholesale is more than online retail...
I hear this often and I wonder how true it really is? You hear the story 'mate works at LBS their wholesale is more than what CRC...'

Now I am sure it is true in some cases but I think it is BS more often than not. Let's face it, if you are running a professional business and you let the 15 year old casual know your true cost price:
1 - you don't deserve to be in business
2 - you don't deserve a decent discount from the supplier either.

Years ago mates of mine had a business, which folded, I knew there wholesale prices for everything. They couldn't understand why you could buy something's down the road cheaper than there wholesale...I tried to explain to them volume and professionalism in how they presented stock. Anyhow they folded.

To give the other side of the coin I used to work for a distributor (not bike) in sales. We had a retail price list and a wholesale price list. Our biggest clients were operating at 60% off wholesale...and one of those stopped buying from us so he was obviously getting a better deal elsewhere...

moorey

call me Mia
I hear this often and I wonder how true it really is? You hear the story 'mate works at LBS their wholesale is more than what CRC...'

Now I am sure it is true in some cases but I think it is BS more often than not. Let's face it, if you are running a professional business and you let the 15 year old casual know your true cost price:
1 - you don't deserve to be in business
2 - you don't deserve a decent discount from the supplier either.
Who mentioned 15yo casuals?
My lbs owning mate buys his parts for his own bike from crc often. Also I wanted to buy my pikes locally. He showed me the distro price. It was $150 more than the delivered retail price from Germany.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Yes but of course it depends on several factors. I've built up a fantastic relationship with my LBS to the point where I buy the mechanic's lunch when I'm dropping in.

This week they matched the price on XT brake's, taking a loss on the brakes because they paid more than them as a set including rotors, which they'll now have to sell to make profit.

They understand that they make the best money on servicing and by looking after me on parts like this I'll continue to have all my bikes maintained there.

So yes bike stores will match overseas prices, providing they can, but don't expect them to do it first time you walk in off the street, unless you're also carrying some deep fried sushi and cake.
Whoa, Whoa there buddy, I have some serious issues with what you've got to say there!

Seriously, doesn't it cease being sushi once it's been through the cooking process? :tsk:

But yeah, cake, I'll concede your point there, cake is ace.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Whoa, Whoa there buddy, I have some serious issues with what you've got to say there!

Seriously, doesn't it cease being sushi once it's been through the cooking process? :tsk:

But yeah, cake, I'll concede your point there, cake is ace.
It doesn't matter, it's amazing.

A light tempura coating, bathed in hot oil for a short amount of time. Crispy outer coating with the same taste and interior texture of normal sushi, but warm. Highly addictive.

I have a greater objection to "sushi" being filled with vegetables and chicken, that's just rice a riso.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Who mentioned 15yo casuals?
My lbs owning mate buys his parts for his own bike from crc often. Also I wanted to buy my pikes locally. He showed me the distro price. It was $150 more than the delivered retail price from Germany.
I was illustrating a point, often the source of those stories is casual staff, often junior and if you are a professional business, why would they know? It is common that there are rebates for volume or other discounts that apply that shop staff would never see. Reality is Monza sell to all bike shops, they will have a price list, that's only a starting point. Your value to them is where you will sit on prices beyond that...

Don't take this as me defending the distributors, I have no interest or affiliation with and I think it is a broken model. But if you can buy something retail delivered from an overseas country cheaper than you can buy 'wholesale'...then you are not a valued client. That may be volume, presentation, professionalism or a more valued customer near by...