Saddle bag is eating my tubes

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a problem with my saddle bag eating tubes. A couple of times now I've had to fix a flat and the tube in my saddle bag has holes in it along the folds, obviously caused by friction from all the jiggling around. Does having your tubes in a backpack or jersey pockets prevent this. I've resorted to wrapping my inner tubes in plastic and putting them in my jersey pockets and I'll see how that goes. Any other suggestions (apart from going tubeless which I am doing shortly?

Thanks
Chris

Ivan

Eats Squid
I have a tube strapped at the headtube/toptube/downtube junction with Velcro tape. It's holding in place well, I hope it hasn't got any holes worn in ut

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I leave my tubes in a plastic bag, it cops any abrasion.

Also need a saddle bag that you can tighten effectively, no rub then.

teK--

Eats Squid
I have a tube strapped at the headtube/toptube/downtube junction with Velcro tape. It's holding in place well, I hope it hasn't got any holes worn in ut
$10 says if it's close to a year old it's stuffed. Better find out now than when you're on the trail ;)

John U

MTB Precision
The saddle bags I use are quite small. Along with all the other shit I put in there I sometimes stick a clean rag of appropriate size to take up the rest of the space. It stops stuff moving around which can save wear on your tube and can be handy if you need it.

I nearly always carry a spare derailleur hanger. I worry about this putting a hole in the tube more than anything else. I always have a bit rag between the tube and the hanger.

Lard

Likes Dirt
I just use an old sock, stuff everything in the sock, then the sock in the saddle bag or jersey pocket. Works great!

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just tape them to the frame. Not had any problems and it frees up space in what ever bag/pack you use.

Flow-Rider

Burner
For items stored in my saddle bag I stretch an old cut up piece of tube over my multi tool and same with my spare hanger. The other stuff like a chain link joiner, I just throw it in a small zip lock bag.