Hey

Hey I'm very very new to the whole MTB scene and I'm trying to get into it. I have a few mates that have been doing it for a while and looking to start riding with them.
If anyone can point me in some beginning directions as to where to start looking would be greatly appreciated. I've had a quick browse through some threads but still searching for that place to start.

All I know is I have set a budget for myself between 1-2k lol.

Guidance appreciated!

Thanks

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
1. Get a second job.

2. Second hand is your friend.

3. Get the best frame in your budget.

4. Upgrade the poo attached to said frame.

4. Get a third job.

5. Get a good divorce lawer.

6. Upgrade everything to the best, you can afford it now you have 3 jobs and no wife to support.

Should see you right :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Always pay more:
- than the asking price
- than you intend to
- after you have purchased.

One of those is bullshit.

kings5

Cannon Fodder
Hey I'm very very new to the whole MTB scene and I'm trying to get into it. I have a few mates that have been doing it for a while and looking to start riding with them.
If anyone can point me in some beginning directions as to where to start looking would be greatly appreciated. I've had a quick browse through some threads but still searching for that place to start.

All I know is I have set a budget for myself between 1-2k lol.

Guidance appreciated!

Thanks
Dont be afraid to look at the second hand market...more bang for buck

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Started dual suspension. The choice is a personal one, bit ill not he rushing out for another hard tail. But if your budget is only $2k and you want new...i am not so optimistic for you.

stirk

Burner
Hey iTapawaka

Once you go dual you'll never go back!

Listen to the knuckles and the pooodles, t hey speel as good as me... And gives good advice

I started with a cheap HT, very cheap with v brakes even! Still have it and love it though.

Get a dually first, second hand will be best value.

Too many choices regarding n awesome bikes in that price range so just pick a colour that best matches your eyes

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I would try and compliment my eyes rather than match them and then accessorize around that. But each to their own.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Once you go dual you'll never go back!
Not true.

Start HT. Get a decent bike for your budget, learn about bikes and parts whilst you're building a good foundation of technique. After a year or so of saving up again then you can get the dualie that suits you best now you know enough about bikes and the way you like to ride.

This is what I was talked in to with my first bike and I'm really glad I took that advice. 12 years in to my addiction and I still own more HTs than dualies.

Anyone know any good places besides here and ebay to look for second hand bikes (Located in Vic if that helps)??

Also my mate has told me to look at Avanti compared to the Giant bikes I have been looking at, as they have better parts for the same price bike that Giant does. Only thing is I don't know a hell of a lot about Avanti.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Anyone know any good places besides here and ebay to look for second hand bikes (Located in Vic if that helps)??

Also my mate has told me to look at Avanti compared to the Giant bikes I have been looking at, as they have better parts for the same price bike that Giant does. Only thing is I don't know a hell of a lot about Avanti.
Bike exchange has second hand, just set the search filter. There a couple of good Facebook groups too.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I would be surprised if Avanti were beating Giant on spec. But I have not looked closely at the Avanti bikes for a long time. What models are you looking at?

marc.r

Likes Dirt
I would be surprised if Avanti were beating Giant on spec. But I have not looked closely at the Avanti bikes for a long time. What models are you looking at?
They arntbht they are close. Similar level pricing to norco. The torrent is a fantastic bit of kit with an fsr suspension system versimilar to norcos version too.. Falls halfway between a sight and a range. Sight travel but its got a burlier frsme! Second hand ones should be a bargain too!

Korbzy

Likes Bikes
Honestly, that is a good budget to start with. I would personally buy a AM bike that gives you the option to try XC, DH and you can choose which you would prefer and learn more about bikes. If you still enjoy the sport after a few months or a year you can upgrade to a build that suits your needs.

I guess instead of making a new thread elsewhere, I'll ask here what bikes in particular you would recommend between the 1-2k$ budget.