Hey

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I guess instead of making a new thread elsewhere, I'll ask here what bikes in particular you would recommend between the 1-2k$ budget.
There is a user on here "financialwar" who has a really strong grasp of the second hand bike market. Throw them a pm.

Dual? Giant trance or reign in 27.5. Giants resell cheap and there are lots of them. Those bikes are fair all founders.

Only other advice I have is buy whatever I am selling. You can't go wrong with my scraps.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Don't know if serious or not about "financialwar" just saw he has a thread here seems full of lovely drama.
I wouldn't...that thread should give you enough of an idea. The old "what do I buy?" gets thrown around a lot and generally results in a lot of piss taking and hammering. BUT I do stand by my advice to purchase the Trance or Reign. Both will serve you well.

BUT I do have a bike I'd love to off load, if you give me the cash upfront I will fix some monster-t forks to my nomad and it will be happy days.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
pretty sure that itappedthat and financial war are the same person.... in fact any new person in the last week im going to assume is an alias of the person behind financialwar until i find otherwise

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Maybe it is the Cum Panda back to haunt us? Maybe picked up an ounce of amphetamine and dropped into his local 24 hour internet café...blasting lines and registering accounts as quickly as he can across a suite of IPs?

stirk

Burner
Don't know if serious or not about "financialwar" just saw he has a thread here seems full of lovely drama.
With a budget between $1k and $2k financialwar is just the person to talk to!

Set a real budget figure and be prepared to stretch it a little when you see something you fall in love with is how I approach any purchase. A $1k difference in high low budget allows for many more options in what you could buy.

If you don't have shoes, clothes, tools spares etc spend $1500 on bike and go buy other biking stuff with the remaining $500.

Still you need to decide HT or Dual then workout which bike from all the advise you'll get......

stirk

Burner
Maybe it is the Cum Panda back to haunt us? Maybe picked up an ounce of amphetamine and dropped into his local 24 hour internet café...blasting lines and registering accounts as quickly as he can across a suite of IPs?
I miss cumpanda!

These newbies are not talking about angle grinding in headsets so not likely cumpanda.

Any mention of a freezer I'll be suspicious

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I miss cumpanda!

These newbies are not talking about angle grinding in headsets so not likely cumpanda.

Any mention of a freezer I'll be suspicious
Shit you must have been busy with house moving...did you miss that whole freezing sperm thread?

stirk

Burner
Shit you must have been busy with house moving...did you miss that whole freezing sperm thread?
If you mean farcicalwar commuter bike post which is now locked, I missed the live action fun but have enjoyed the read since!

Internet access still problematic at new house so I'm almost completely offline at night which sucks!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
If you mean farcicalwar commuter bike post which is now locked, I missed the live action fun but have enjoyed the read since!

Internet access still problematic at new house so I'm almost completely offline at night which sucks!
You really did miss out. Short version to avoid thread jack - fecal war started a thread about freezing sperm so that after he started riding, the diminished quality of his sperm from his balls being bounced around wouldn't effect his procreations...let the flaming begin. I believe Dozer wisely deleted the thread after it went nuts.

stirk

Burner
Damn, missed that completely!

Where is iTappedThat anyway? Must have tapped out for a while.

Thanks, but can we keep this on topic.

As to setting a real budget, I see no point in spending over like 2.5k max for a beginners bike.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Also I am leaning a lot more towards a hardtail rather then dual.
Pfft, save yourself the trouble of upgrading in a fortnight, get a second hand short travel dually, with the best frame in your budget, even if the components are a bit poo. Then start stockpiling sweet, sweet being as the opportunity presents. It's inevitable anyway, might as well get a head start.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
What size do you need.

This is pretty sweet. Still some cash left over for a bit of crumpet down the local red-light district
Item: 2012 Giant Anthem X Advanced. Size Medium

Item Condition: Mint. Bike barely has a mark on it, looks new, has been meticulously maintained and never crashed. As per pics.

Reason for selling: New bike.

Price and price conditions: $1750. Priced to sell. Prefer local sale but can ship at buyers expense.

Extra Info: Bike is pretty much standard except for a few upgrades. The fork has been upgraded to a 120mm unit instead of the standard 100mm and the handle bar and seatpost have been upgraded to Easton EC70 Carbon.

The bike really is in meticulous condition and would make a fantastic first decent bike. Buyer will not be disappointed. Bike does not come with pedals.

PM for more details.

Pictures: See below

Spec:

Frame:Advanced Composite mainframe, ALUXX SL swingarm, Maestro 4.0” travel - Medium
Shock: Fox Factory RP23 Adaptive Logic
Fork: Fox 32 FLOAT RLC Evolution, 120mm, 15QR axle, OverDrive 2 Steerer,
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT Shadow 10 Speed
Crankset: Shimano XT w 28-40 t.
Shifters: Shimano XT
Cassette: Shimano XT 11-36 10 Speed
Front Brake: Shimano XT 160mm centre lock
Rear Brake: Shimano XT 160mm centre lock
Handlebars: Easton EC70xc Carbon
Stem: Giant Contact OverDrive, 8 deg.
Saddle:Fi’zi:k Tundra w/K:ium rail
Seatpost: Easton EC70 Carbon
Wheels: Shimano XT UST Tubeless
Front Tyre: Schwalbe Rocket Ron Evo Tubeless 26X2.25
Rear Tyre: Schwalbe Nobby Nic Evo Tubeless 26X2.25
Weight: Approx. 11.4kg

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thanks, but can we keep this on topic.

As to setting a real budget, I see no point in spending over like 2.5k max for a beginners bike.
One of those people...fark me.

Follow knuckles' advice on this one. $2.5 would probably even get you a reasonable dual suspension bike new. Hit up bike exchange to see some really discounted end of season options.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Righto, benefit of the doubt. These are words for beginner not gnarly ex moto type lunatic

1. Find out what kind of bikes in terms of suspension travel your mates are riding and whether they are duallies or hardtails
2 if you are over 6 foot - get a 29er
3 if under , 27.5 or 29er, if positively small ( under 5'6"), do not go near a 29er
4 26ers are fine, but look like been replaced by 27.5 which is the same as 650b.
5 look for a trail bike - 110 through to 135mm of travel, once you get above 150mm they are a bitch to pedal and hence keep up with fitter mates - as a beginner you won't be flying down mountains anyway, so the long suspension travel in all mountain 160mm type bikes will be lost on you.
6 in order of value off the shop floor giant, norco, avanti, merida, then few hundred more to trek and specialized
7 only look at models with air sprung forks.
8 on a new bike I would only consider a bike with a shadow plus deraileur or a type 2 ( these are the clutch type deraileurs, and any bike specifier with any idea would automatically include these as a bare minimum for offroad use)

Second hand - only buy off someone who knows you or knows a mate, and who is trustworthy, and preferably not hard up for cash

Conclusions - as a starter bike that will last, the easiest recomendation is to get a trance and pick wheel size based on height and always last years model given the tight budget . Best warranty around and most
Y good value

Didn't get the hardtail part - basics still apply, just $500 cheaper

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
Threads can get a bit off topic, hope that doesn't upset you too much!

For the money you can get a brand new bike.

As there are far too many options my advice is to browse the major manufacturers who generally give the best deals for the component spec and choose a bike with the best spec and the colour option you like as it's vital you look the biz on the trails wearing matching clothes, shoes, gloves etc.

A friend of mine rides a Giant Talon 1 which he paid around $1200 for new and it's a good beginners bike.

sooo many options.....

Haha, thanks. As for threads getting off topic when I browsed through that other guys I just wanted to avoid that lol.

I am though one of those guys who prefers new as to second hand, but if the second hand is a good buy/condition I wouldn't pass it up.

And now you've got me thinking to just get a dualy seems it is pretty much inevitable.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Haha, thanks. As for threads getting off topic when I browsed through that other guys I just wanted to avoid that lol.

I am though one of those guys who prefers new as to second hand, but if the second hand is a good buy/condition I wouldn't pass it up.

And now you've got me thinking to just get a dualy seems it is pretty much inevitable.
Thus far you haven't been a super dickhead...your thread is safe.

The duallie really is inevitable. Sorry if I have missed it, but do you have a riding style in mind already?