Total Fire Bans means stay out.

Three

Likes Bikes
I guess were all smart enough to know to stay away from the trails on total fire bans huh? Seems to elude some people.

Ok, so 40+ degree heat may not be so bad for you. But use your noggin to expect fire bans to be in effect.
There are catastropic conditions in the Mt Lofty Ranges and severe in Adelaide metro today, Which means all trails should be off limits.
Not to forget there are fires in the Adelaide hills at the moment and I have read people still going out and riding.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I guess were all smart enough to know to stay away from the trails on total fire bans huh? Seems to elude some people.

Ok, so 40+ degree heat may not be so bad for you. But use your noggin to expect fire bans to be in effect.
There are catastropic conditions in the Mt Lofty Ranges and severe in Adelaide metro today, Which means all trails should be off limits.
Not to forget there are fires in the Adelaide hills at the moment and I have read people still going out and riding.
No we are not.

I ride regularly on fire ban days - WTF wouldn't I?

Now if I'm riding in a national park and the park is closed - that's a different matter, though rare.

Total fine bans are a dime a dozen over summer.......

stirk

Burner
Three, I know what you are saying, stay out it's too dangerous if a bush fire broke out you might get burnt up, but if we all took that line of overly cautious thought we would not blast down hills at break neck speed either.

We take risks with riding our bikes in the bush, me, I ride mostly alone, fire is the least of my worries, I am the my biggest worry!

Unless you are referring to the sparks that come off my rear dérailleur as I rail a turn so low to the ground then yeah I probably should ride a little less than awesome when it's a total fire ban day.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

Three

Likes Bikes
20150102_182251_zps3d4cf77f.jpg
Current fire near Kersbrook trails from my house (30 minute drive)

My point of view is stay out if there is a TFB, I believe it to be common sense and a good rule of thumb. Places here like Eagle MTB Park and Fox Creek are closed on TFB day and I believe unofficial trails like the one in danger today should be treated the same.
It's not about us starting the fire, it's a matter of our own safety.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
I have ridden on TFB days in a council reserve . The minister for war and finance tore me new one when she found out . Have also ridden other known trails in Sydney on TFB days and even when the fires were raging near Appin not so long ago .

I liken it to surfing . There are sharks out in the water , I have them swim under my board at times even had a bronze whaler nudge me to see what i was , yet i still surf . I think Stirk said that he is more of a danger to himself than a fire , same as me . Its what we do , if we die whilst we are doing what we love then thats it i guess .

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Your desire to endanger yourself is not the topic. The point is that the laws/bylaws/regulations exist. Your choice to ignore them is yours, accept the consequences, whether it's a fine, seizure of your bike or a fiery death.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Your desire to endanger yourself is not the topic. The point is that the laws/bylaws/regulations exist. Your choice to ignore them is yours, accept the consequences, whether it's a fine, seizure of your bike or a fiery death.
You may find that SA is the only jurisdiction for this, they have taken over the nanny state mantle from Vict perhaps.

Last year in the middle of actual severe fires, national parks closed their relevant lands in NSW - although for some strange reason they left them closed for days and days which of course meant people ignored their closures widely and went mountain biking, walking etc. So in the event of beaurocracy taking over here, apply common sense with the knowledge that fires can move extremely fast and well beyond your best ever strava times

stirk

Burner
No, I do not desire to endanger myself, I take a calculated risk to enjoy what I do. Never said I was a emo self slasher.
We get the whole accept the consequences, can't blame anyone but ourselves for our actions or fuck ups can we.

Laws and blah blah exist and the majority of us adhere to them, not sure what your point is...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Living in the RNP, total fire ban days mean I too shouldn't be riding. But I often do.

I would like to think I could be spotting anything sooner than others (and report it accordingly), and I do know the place *very* well.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
And we thought Victoria had it bad for being the nanny state Christ! If I'm brave enough or stupid enough to go into a state or national park on a total fireban day, it's between Darwin and me, the state can shove it.

Going by this logic road riding should have been out lawed years ago, 7 deaths a year on average and 1471 casualties. There's the real danger, not the threat of a bush fire.

Yes I plan on going into a park on a Tfb day and pushing myself hard in the heat

Last edited:

Three

Likes Bikes
I'm hearing now that the Kersbrook trails I wrote about have been hit and it is apparently possible for embers from this fire to reach Cobbler Creek trail network within the suburban area. I wouldnt doubt it could be the same for "Bennetts" on the other side of Kersbrook.
CFS has reported the fire is heading west towards Tea Tree Gully which is just by Anstys Hill, another network of trails. Fox Creek is very close also, but I havent heard of any danger there.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Tracks and trails in some of the National Parks round Sydney are closed on total fire ban days. Each park or reserve with closures now have the messages about closures auto populate onto the NPWS website whenever a TOBAN is declared in that region.
http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/alert/state-alerts

I guess some will ignore this but for those that who would like to know this is the esiest way to find out.