XC Yeti ARC Carbon 9.16kg - Cracked another frame...

Ackland

chats d'élevage
They are very light but not worth the trouble. They took 8 months to get here and are very picky with what pads you use. Genuine Shimano organic pads were useless. No power at all. Now I'm using EBC Green organic the power us acceptable but still not as good as steel rotors.
They do make their own pads for carbon rotors but I'm not going to order some because of customer service concerns.
Agree with this guy!

And at $70 USD to try the specific pads I'm not risking them.

I'll throw them back on with my new R1 racing brakes with organic pads and give them one last try but they really don't give you the full on stop that you sometimes need!

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Hmm sounds like I should give the carbon rotors a miss....

Updated with a ride report on page 1.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
try some avid HS1's or HSX's. HS1's are cheap and just under 100 grams in 160mm, HSX are pricey and a bit lighter.

i found out of all the light rotors i used, the HS1's lasted the longest, i was warping the kcnc razor, etc rotors pretty quick, presumably with little metal in them the heat wasnt dissipating fast enough.

k3n!f

The Ashima rotors are doing the job quite nicely, I might just file off the edge of the XTR pads and replace the pads and rotors together when they wear out.

Yeti in its natural habitat:
IMG_1312.jpg

Made a new friend, right in the middle of the shot. It took me a while to get my camera out, but it was the prettiest red belly I've seen, and I got nice and close around 3m in front of me before I saw it!
IMG_1315.jpg

With my other ride, the Foz.
IMG_1320.jpg

k3n!f

Bugger. There has been some spontaneous pain chipping on the back side of the seat tube just below the seat stays. It would be a pretty unusual spot for a stone chip, might be something more sinister.

I've sent photos to Yeti Aus and am waiting to hear back.

Attachments

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you sure you are not exceeding the minimum seat post insertion point? looks awfully high.

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Not sure if it's the picture but there looks to be a vertical crack in the paint of the top tube just in front of the seat tube also.

k3n!f

Are you sure you are not exceeding the minimum seat post insertion point? looks awfully high.
The frame is designed with a super low top tube to give good stand over height. Seat post is a super long Syntace P6. There is 12cm of seat post in the frame, with the minimum insertion listed as 9cm.

That's not where your seatpost ends is it?
Its about 2cm below where the seat post finishes.

Not sure if it's the picture but there looks to be a vertical crack in the paint of the top tube just in front of the seat tube also.
Holy shit! I didn't even notice that. There is no frame skin on that part of the seat stay.

Someone sent me a PM saying this is the spot where their ARCc cracked so its not looking good.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
sounds seat post related to me... the long amount of post out of the frame is going to put pressure on the tube just below where the post stops.
a quick google shows your post extends pretty far out of the frame compared to the rest. hopefully it's replaced under warranty.

what length post is it, 400?

Last edited:

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The frame is designed with a super low top tube to give good stand over height. Seat post is a super long Syntace P6. There is 12cm of seat post in the frame, with the minimum insertion listed as 9cm.
That 9cm min insertion point, is that listed on the seatpost or the frame?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Owch!

The Syntace posts are just toooo powerful!

Sad to hear it's cracked. Lots of carbon frames fail in that general area (both HT and dual sus) so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a simple warranty replacement.

Thems the pitfalls of carbonium

k3n!f

Yup the frame was toast. There was an issue with the first batch apparently, I thought mine was second generation but it must have been one of those early models. Luckily the crack was at the point on the seat tube where Yeti had positioned a load bearing sticker which allowed me to continue riding for the last six weeks....

In other news it looks like the top of the left seat stay was also unhappy, although it hasn't shown up the in the photo very well.

Anyway, it gave me a great excuse to strip the whole frame down and clean everything. New cables, repacked the 240 freehub (almost silent now), and I also got the steerer tube cut so I can ditch the spacer.

I had a bike fit recently and have changed the 90mm stem to a 70mm which has improved my back issues significantly. They have also lowered my seat height by 1cm, so I'll have 13cm inside the frame with a 400mm post, hopefully that will help too.

The only other changes have been the newer Ashima rotors (68g) which are even lighter than the last, unfortunately Virgin Airlines managed to write the other ones off. Bike is sitting at 9.3kg and other than carbon wheels I have nothing left to change without reducing reliability.

Thanks to Yeti for great service. They very kindly shipped the replacement frame whilst I was still riding the old one so I wouldn't get too fat.

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 536
  • 0 bytes Views: 535
  • 0 bytes Views: 538
  • 0 bytes Views: 539
Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
gahhhh! I was looking for this build the other night... but after 30 mins of searching I coudlnt find it and gave up!

I was reading on MTBR re Yeti warranty issues and the cracking ARC's popped up.... re: first patch has the same issues as you.
cant find the post now...... but at least warranty has come through and you're still up and running!

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
Managed to borrow a GoPro with a chest strap. Here is a run down Stromlo from today. Managed to get well inside the top 10% on Strava, pretty happy with that on a 9.3kg hardtail with the seat up. Who needs a dropper anyway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqdOYCaqI_0&feature=youtu.be
Is it weird that I stalked your Strava?

This thing would have motored along Double D. Love it!

Are you from Canberra? Pretty impressive times if you're from Hobart and don't ride out here on a regular basis.