All Mountain Tyres

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
what is it being used for? at 1.1kg it's a hefty rear tyre if not on a DH bike...
For pedalling a fat bastard around whatever trail he can get to :p (the bike is an "all mountain")

Do you think it would be better on the front? Or is this going to be something that either way I end up riding for 2 weeks and then going "fuck this thing is heavy, bad choice!" (which.. TBH, I'm not THAT bothered by... still being new to MTB, I am genuinely interested in seeing for myself how much of an effect a heavier tyre has.. if that means I have to drop money again in a couple of weeks time, then so be it.. learning isn't always free haha)

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
For pedalling a fat bastard around whatever trail he can get to (the bike is an "all mountain")

Do you think it would be better on the front? Or is this going to be something that either way I end up riding for 2 weeks and then going "fuck this thing is heavy, bad choice!" (which.. TBH, I'm not THAT bothered by... still being new to MTB, I am genuinely interested in seeing for myself how much of an effect a heavier tyre has.. if that means I have to drop money again in a couple of weeks time, then so be it.. learning isn't always free haha)
The bigger, more aggressive tyre should go on the front. Stick a big 2.35 or above High Roller II on the front, the nervous nick on the back, and in 2 weeks when you've skidded all the knobs off the nick, whack a 2.3 ardent out there.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
For pedalling a fat bastard around whatever trail he can get to :p (the bike is an "all mountain")

if you do use it, i would put it up front. it's essentially a fast rolling DH tyre. it's also either super tacky, or 3c compound so it's going to be softer than your average tyre (sticker, and will chew up quicker on the rear)

something like a High Roller 2 would be better (26x2.3 is ~800 grams) or a single ply DHR as fuckknuckle suggested

marc.r

Likes Dirt
I disagree.i wouldnt run a griffin as a front. I have never ridden one but it looks like it has to many transition knobs and not enough defined shoulder cornering edges. It think it is best used as an ikon style tyre with a downhill casing. Great if you want a tough but fast and loose rear but i prefer my fronts to have a prounced difference between centre and crnering knobs so i can feel them bite when i corner/lean.

That being said i would love to hear your real world input as i havent seen a review yet!

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
I disagree.i wouldnt run a griffin as a front. I have never ridden one but it looks like it has to many transition knobs and not enough defined shoulder cornering edges. It think it is best used as an ikon style tyre with a downhill casing. Great if you want a tough but fast and loose rear but i prefer my fronts to have a prounced difference between centre and crnering knobs so i can feel them bite when i corner/lean.

That being said i would love to hear your real world input as i havent seen a review yet!
I doubt my "real world input" is going to have much value given that my full extent of MTB tyre experience are the Kenda Block8 that came on my hardtail 29er and the nobby nic's that came on my 27.5... But, if anything does stand out I'll be sure to post about it :p

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I doubt my "real world input" is going to have much value given that my full extent of MTB tyre experience are the Kenda Block8 that came on my hardtail 29er and the nobby nic's that came on my 27.5... But, if anything does stand out I'll be sure to post about it
So a soggy baguette would be an improvement.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Stick a big 2.35 or above High Roller II on the front, ....., whack a 2.3 ardent out there [on the rear].
This would be my preferred setup (even though I haven't ridden Ardents they are clearly what I'm looking for). 2.35 on the front, 2.25 on the rear.

I also like the Bontrager XR3s, if you use the top of the range but them shits are approximately $80. I picked up some cheap Hans Dampfs (all but brand new for $20 each), which I'll probably whack on the front until the center knobs reduce and then switch them to the rear with an HRII on the front.

I have an HR on the front now, just normal harder compound. I had a problem with washing out a lot on flat, loose over hard pack corners, which I really thought was the tyre. I was considering shifting to 3C or ST but after really paying attention to body positioning as cornering I'm actually a lot happier with these tyres. Sure, a softer compound would make a difference but actually quite minimal as compared to just getting my cornering technique right.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
This would be my preferred setup (even though I haven't ridden Ardents they are clearly what I'm looking for). 2.35 on the front, 2.25 on the rear.

I also like the Bontrager XR3s, if you use the top of the range but them shits are approximately $80. I picked up some cheap Hans Dampfs (all but brand new for $20 each), which I'll probably whack on the front until the center knobs reduce and then switch them to the rear with an HRII on the front.

I have an HR on the front now, just normal harder compound. I had a problem with washing out a lot on flat, loose over hard pack corners, which I really thought was the tyre. I was considering shifting to 3C or ST but after really paying attention to body positioning as cornering I'm actually a lot happier with these tyres. Sure, a softer compound would make a difference but actually quite minimal as compared to just getting my cornering technique right.
I originally had a HR 3C up front, but after switching to the HR 2 3C, there is a youge difference in the feel transitioning. The 2 is a much more predictable tyre than the original was.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I originally had a HR 3C up front, but after switching to the HR 2 3C, there is a youge difference in the feel transitioning. The 2 is a much more predictable tyre than the original was.
Had the same experiences with the HR, throw the bike over and pray! much preferred it as a rear tyre. While I found the HR was not great on the hardpack (such as at youies), it was pretty good in more loamy areas, but the transition was really vague.

The HR2 is a great tyre all round tyre, just put a new 2.3 3c on the front, seems to cope with the lose crap on hardpack really well.

moman

Likes Dirt
Running a hr2 on the front of my 29er. Great tire.

Any recommendations on pairing it with an ardent race or regular ardent on the back? Anyone done this?

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge

Any recommendations on pairing it with an ardent race or regular ardent on the back? Anyone done this?
Got the ardent regular with all the acronyms up back. Set up tubeless, only thing is, fuckwit fitted it backwards.........me likie.

2.4 HR 2 2.3 Ardent Great combo fitted properly or back arsewards. The race has shorter tread blocks, so will be looser, some may like that, but I struggle climbing enough without having to deal with a loose arse out of the saddle.

Edit: in 26" but don't think there'd be a massive difference.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
^^ i'd go regular ardent. 98% as fast rolling but way better in damper / looser conditions. ardents are fantastic rears... i havent tried a slaughter/rock razor yet but I cant see how it could really be that much better as an all rounder. maybe as a descender but not really as a trail tyre? seems like its only designed to roll fast and corner fast.. not find traction on tech/climbs

by the way... why are everyone running hr2 on the front.. why not just use a minion??? surely better and not much difference in weight

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Got the ardent regular with all the acronyms up back. Set up tubeless, only thing is, fuckwit fitted it backwards.........me likie.

2.4 HR 2 2.3 Ardent Great combo fitted properly or back arsewards. The race has shorter tread blocks, so will be looser, some may like that, but I struggle climbing enough without having to deal with a loose arse out of the saddle.

Edit: in 26" but don't think there'd be a massive difference.
just remember the 2.4 HR2 is built in the DH mould, so it's more aggressive than the 2.3. you probably want to fint your ardent the right way round too...

^^ i'd go regular ardent. 98% as fast rolling but way better in damper / looser conditions. ardents are fantastic rears... i havent tried a slaughter/rock razor yet but I cant see how it could really be that much better as an all rounder. maybe as a descender but not really as a trail tyre? seems like its only designed to roll fast and corner fast.. not find traction on tech/climbs

by the way... why are everyone running hr2 on the front.. why not just use a minion??? surely better and not much difference in weight

currently running a 2.3 TR EXO HR2 up front with a 2.25 TR EXO Ardent in the rear. it's a glorious setup.

i considered the Ardent Race, however i'm glad i went Ardent. the Ardent has a little bit of sliding action as it transitions onto the side knobs, i imagine the Race would be a bit slippier. the Ardent itself doesn't feel slow rolling either, and i'm coming from some pretty XC tyres in the rear in previous setups (crossmark/high roller on my previous bike)

i would like to try Ardent Race rear and Ardent front on a dry track though, i reckon it would rip!

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
you probably want to fint your ardent the right way round too...
I will..........when it's new sealant time, not keen on getting a bukkake session. At the moment it's okay, my slow arse hasn't noticed any big change in rolling and it gives me an extra 10 or so meters peddling on those kicker 1% gradients.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
maybe i'm doing it wrong, but i changed the valve (and inadvertently removed the whole tyre) with little to no residual semen.