Grazes

murf58

Likes Bikes
Hi Guys,
Came off the bike this afternoon and remember seeing a thread a while back (can't find it) about recommended treatments to speed up healing of grazes.
At 46 I have noticed it seems to take a lot longer than it used to and just wondering if anyone has any tips so I am not off the bike for too long : )
Thanks

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The old harden the fuck up should see you back on the bike tonight...

Keep it covered and sealed up for about a week. The moist environment expedites healing and also prevents/reduces those annoying cracks that can form in a big scabbed up area. I have no medical training beyond first aid and base my advise on something that was said to me a zillion years ago and may or may not have come from someone who should know. Perhaps some salt...

murf58

Likes Bikes
Thanks pink poodle.
I did ride out but it wasn't mich fun with shoulder, rib and elbow injuries and a corky on my left leg to die for! Might try the roadie tomorrow or Thursday at the moment though things are sore enough to stay of the mtb.
Unfortunately the grazes are along length of my forearm and deep across the elbow joint so sealing up is not an option - unless I use glad wrap I guess.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Poodle is right.... I hope by now you've cleaned the wounds to get any nasties out that could cause infections, 'cos they'll bugger you right up. Keep the wounds covered with dressings that keep the site moist, especially if they're on areas that are subject to movement. Scabbing tends to crack, exposing you to possible infections, and also damages the regrowing tissue underneath, slowing healing. Change dressings daily.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A few years ago I had surgery on my right collar bone. There was a cut approx 20cm long. The good folks at the hospital put an amazing patch over it that was waterproof and sealed up like a Nun's pussy...even when it came time to remove the stitches the patch was still perfect. I picked up some similar patches from the pharmacy at the time expecting a failure.

You could also use some tape and the gauze sort of stuff that is slippery on one side.

There is plenty of cover up options other than band aids...

FYI - I have used glad wrap before. Had a pedal slip he night before a big job that I couldn't miss. Ended up with a lot of stitches on my calf. Covered them with a feminine hygiene product, crepe bandage, glad wrap aplenty, and another crepe bandage. Kept all the dust and shit out really well over the 6 hour ride.

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
The time it takes to heal depends a lot on blood flow to the area so different areas can heal at different rates not just ur age affecting it...

If bad solosite hydrogel with good dressing works well.

Ideate

Nan always put red shit on my scratches. God bless her soul.

Now I just leave wounds dry but keep them clean (hate that moist soggy infected mush feeling).

Elbie

Likes Bikes
Apply some roeship oil, works wonders in speeding up healing and helps with minimizing scars too.

Rob_74

Likes Dirt
Nan always put red shit on my scratches. God bless her soul.

Now I just leave wounds dry but keep them clean (hate that moist soggy infected mush feeling).
Red shit was probably mercurochrome ( Merbromin). Basically banned in usa by FDA now. Not sure status in aust but you never see or hear of it anymore...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You will need:
- lavender flowers, no leaves
- thistle buds
- water
- brown sugar

bring the water to the boil and then simmer those ingredients in it for about 35min. you will know it is ready when it becomes more of a salve than a liquid (thus the brown sugar). strain out the chunks then pour it straight onto the wounds while it is hot. let it set and wrap it up over night. repeat it each day until healed.

camoshop

Banned
You will need:
- lavender flowers, no leaves
- thistle buds
- water
- brown sugar

bring the water to the boil and then simmer those ingredients in it for about 35min. you will know it is ready when it becomes more of a salve than a liquid (thus the brown sugar). strain out the chunks then pour it straight onto the wounds while it is hot. let it set and wrap it up over night. repeat it each day until healed.
That seems like a lot of effort, wasn't going to say it before but seman actually works wonders for healing, it's always on hand and easily avialible in seconds.

Z

Zaf

Just going to cite my references here, Med Student and my sister is a paramedic.

Clean the wound thoroughly, give it a quick clean with an antiseptic wash, but you don't need to leave this on for more than 2mins. The idea is to create a sterile environment, but antiseptics attack cells fairly indiscriminately so they can slow healing times if applied consistently. After that, we generally recommend wet wound healing, Solosite is amazing stuff, it's essentially just water in gel form. Slap that on the wound, cover it with a decent non stick dressing, if it's on a nice flat area like forearms, or shins, waterproof it and don't think about it for days on end.

The moisture is a better environment for the new skin to grow back in, as long as you sterilised correctly, it won't infect. Obviously keep an eye out for any burning or inflamation on the wound, the solosite can look a little yellow/white as the skin grows back, but this is to be expected. A lot of people can mistake this for pus, but it generally isn't. If you want to go all out, use solosite in conjunction with a....forget what they're called, but it's like a silicone net that you throw over the wound that helps keep the moisture more localised. Expensive, can potentially re-use them if you steralise and store them in water afterwards, but you'll got from raw wound to new skin in a week on a treatment plan like that.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just going to cite my references here, Med Student and my sister is a paramedic.

Clean the wound thoroughly, give it a quick clean with an antiseptic wash, but you don't need to leave this on for more than 2mins. The idea is to create a sterile environment, but antiseptics attack cells fairly indiscriminately so they can slow healing times if applied consistently. After that, we generally recommend wet wound healing, Solosite is amazing stuff, it's essentially just water in gel form. Slap that on the wound, cover it with a decent non stick dressing, if it's on a nice flat area like forearms, or shins, waterproof it and don't think about it for days on end.

The moisture is a better environment for the new skin to grow back in, as long as you sterilised correctly, it won't infect. Obviously keep an eye out for any burning or inflamation on the wound, the solosite can look a little yellow/white as the skin grows back, but this is to be expected. A lot of people can mistake this for pus, but it generally isn't. If you want to go all out, use solosite in conjunction with a....forget what they're called, but it's like a silicone net that you throw over the wound that helps keep the moisture more localised. Expensive, can potentially re-use them if you steralise and store them in water afterwards, but you'll got from raw wound to new skin in a week on a treatment plan like that.
That seems like a lot of effort, wasn't going to say it before but seman actually works wonders for healing, it's always on hand and easily avialible in seconds.

how should one go about cleaning the wound?

murf58

Likes Bikes
Thanks everyone - cracked up about the semen recommendation, let's just say I've got too many scratches and I'm not 21 anymore.

Zac - I'll try the solosite tomorrow, interesting that there seems to be quite a bit of advice around to let the wounds air and keep them dry. I'll try keeping it moist and see how it goes.

Poodle - I jumped in the bath when I got home and soaked the larger grazes for about 10 minutes with some light rinsing. Then jumped in the shower with soap and washed patted dry and put a betadine spray on.

Ideate

Red shit was probably mercurochrome ( Merbromin). Basically banned in usa by FDA now. Not sure status in aust but you never see or hear of it anymore...
Yeah Mercurochrome. Didn't know about the whole US/Germany/France mercury poisoning blah blah. I raided Nan's bathroom stash before she passed away late last year. Never thought about buying some for my own bathroom. How am I suppose to mercury poison my kids now!??! (when I decide to have some)..

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thanks everyone - cracked up about the semen recommendation, let's just say I've got too many scratches and I'm not 21 anymore.

Zac - I'll try the solosite tomorrow, interesting that there seems to be quite a bit of advice around to let the wounds air and keep them dry. I'll try keeping it moist and see how it goes.

Poodle - I jumped in the bath when I got home and soaked the larger grazes for about 10 minutes with some light rinsing. Then jumped in the shower with soap and washed patted dry and put a betadine spray on.
Put up a want to buy or swap ad...I'm sure there are plenty of people who will lend a hand...

Z

Zaf

Cleaning the wound with Saline first and a gauze to scrub it out. Be thorough, just suck it up and get it done. If you have any deep gashes, make sure they're clear of any much, a syringe can help in this regard, just a 10mL with some water, give it a good blasting, it's great at dislodging some of that more "bedded" grit. If I'm doing my own, I generally have a hot shower and try let that stuff re-soak in the heat, THEN scrub it. Makes the process a little faster.

In the clinic we pretty much never do dry wound care. Scabbing over has slower heal times and high incidence of scarring. It's an older form of wound care, and not commonly seen these days.
Solosite is the best, any pharmacy will have it, shouldn't cost more than $10 for a tube of it. Throw it in the fridge and it's a little easier to self apply as you can feel it, also when cold can be a bit soothing to the wound. Honestly, the stuff is amazing, I can't recommend it enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

mint355

Likes Dirt
What ever happened to the old wash it off (scrub) with the garden hose when you get home just as your filling up the camelbak (because you should be right to ride tomorrow)... It's a graze after all and it should be okay.... Anything less than stitches doesn't deserve a bandaid.

4dabush

Likes Dirt
As Zaf said SOLOSITE for the win... It's water soluble, I've used it numerous times. Used it under large dressings like cutilin (no sticky stuff to hold them on ) or primapore (with White tape type dressing). Available at any good chemists for a couple of dollars each. Change them daily - I do it after a shower, the solosite dissolves in the shower meaning no pulling or tearing of the wound...I would clean the wound gently in the shower to remove all the old gel then pat dry and apply new solosite and dressing. each time has taken less that a week to heal and I'm 48. Used it on a young guy staying with us who hand planted both palms on bitumen, he thought he'd be in agony for ages... All fixed with baby smooth pink skin in about 5 days.
Zaf is right it's cheap and amazing...
Heal up quick...