Vorsprung Suspension Corset Fox Air Shock Upgrade

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
$150 bucks (CAD) is definitely a great price to make your air shock feel like a coil.

moorey

call me Mia
$150 bucks (CAD) is definitely a great price to make your air shock feel like a coil.
Yeah, heard that before. CCDB feels as close as I've come. That said, as far as upgrades go, it's cheaper than a tune, and seems well priced.

teK--

Eats Squid
It's basically a multi chamber air canister (like the Debonair). Should be good as long as your damper is good (Boostvalve), but I wouldn't bother on an evo.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One issue is you have to increase the pressure in your can.

If you run high pressures, around 250psi or more, Steve from Vorsprung stated that it might not be a viable option as internal pressure may exceed the Fox maximum 300psi. Steve is unsure if that may cause seals or other parts to fail.

I would have been all over a corset if I were lighter :(

placebo

Likes Dirt
Ordered one as well. I'd forgotten how bad air shocks can feel after replacing the RP23 on my old bike with a cane creek coil, then getting a new bike with a float-x.

Z

Zaf

I've got one on order also for my Float X.
Had a few back and forth e-mails with Steve from the company about it. Seems they have hit the ground running with this, as they're backlogged on orders already.

Steve said:
The seals that come with the can are standard low-friction industrial hydraulic/pneumatic seals. Their rated working pressure isn't an issue, however the 300psi limit specified by Fox may be due to air can strength, eyelet strength or their own seal rating - we simply don't have that information. We built the cans to be perfectly fine at 350psi, however if you run more than 300psi then we can't be responsible if anything does happen to either the seals or the eyelet. We don't officially recommend anyone doing this... but at the same time we're not about to stop you.

Funnily enough, the Corset was first developed on the 66C. It works very well on that bike. Three of our development riders have tested on that bike at different points in time (me included). Notably however, the 66 has a very slack seat tube angle, so the additional sag can be detrimental to climbing particularly steep technical stuff.
I had to ask, I was a little concerned about running the extra sag on the switch link and suffering from poor pedalling performance with how the link behaves deeper into travel.
But in other words, "we trust out product at higher pressures, limits are in Fox's ball park not ours."

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I get the impression that the manufacturer is saying that if the bike was designed around or even just factory fitted with a Fox shock (or just specifically a customised version?) then this product may not be of any performance benefit...

That's potentially an awful lot of bikes...

Z

Zaf

I guess the proof will be in the pudding.
The Float X is already a hell of a performer, I can't really say any of my complaints with it have been from how it works (but more that it stopped working). The Corset, if its claims are true, offer a lot with very little drawbacks, given that I've been looking to try a Vivid Air on my frame, this is a bit of a more cost effective gamble.

The proof is in the pudding, it'll be interesting to hear people's opinions of the product when units start being ridden.

Ivan

Eats Squid
I get the impression that the manufacturer is saying that if the bike was designed around or even just factory fitted with a Fox shock (or just specifically a customised version?) then this product may not be of any performance benefit...

That's potentially an awful lot of bikes...
Not exactly.

If the bikes leverage curves were designed to counteract the air spring curves common to fox shocks, then adding a Corset to make the spring linear may not help. So bike with regressive-linear-regressive leverage curves.

Z

Zaf

That said, Vorsprung have preserved the end stroke ramp up, so it shouldn't blow through the travel because of the more linear mid stroke.
Well... In theory.

John U

MTB Precision
Air springs are always making the 'Coil Like' claim. If you want the feel of a coil why not just buy a coil shock and keep your air shock as well?

If you're riding something where you think the weight of the coil shock will make a difference then swap it out for the air shock. Not that the weight difference is that big in a lot of circumstances.

Being able to fine tune the sag of an air shock with a pump is a huge plus for air shocks though. I'm still dicking around trying to get the sag right on CCDB 4 years after I got it but it is still way more responsive than any of my air shocks and that is just the nature of the beast.

Z

Zaf

If you've got an air shock that performs like a coil, why suffer the weight and the difficult tuning process of a coil over?

Performance wise, coils don't suffer from the fade that air shocks do during extended descending.

I don't mind having ramp up to control my bottoming, so long as it's handled gracefully. The boost valve on my Float CTD was a bit aggressive, the Float X barely let's you know you've hit deep travel.

John U

MTB Precision
If you've got an air shock that performs like a coil, why suffer the weight and the difficult tuning process of a coil over?

Performance wise, coils don't suffer from the fade that air shocks do during extended descending.

I don't mind having ramp up to control my bottoming, so long as it's handled gracefully. The boost valve on my Float CTD was a bit aggressive, the Float X barely let's you know you've hit deep travel.
I agree. But I think it's a claim that is continually made and not delivered on. Why not just say it'll be the best ever air shock you've used.

The big difference for me was the stiction. There is none on the coil shocks I've used but is it's there on every air shock I've used except for a set of Boxxers.

Note that I haven't got any of the special coatings on my shocks. Some will state that they make discernible difference.

Last edited:

placebo

Likes Dirt
Air springs are always making the 'Coil Like' claim. If you want the feel of a coil why not just buy a coil shock and keep your air shock as well?
Because they won't fit on some frames, and some manufacturers won't warranty their frames if used with a coil shock. Should really cut that harsh initial feel of fox air shocks if the graph is accurate: