First time Dad - was your riding time restricted?

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Well folks,

News around my house is that Mrs Mofo is expecting our first Bub in early August.
Although I feel that I'm fully prepared to give up the majority of my non working time to spend quality time with the family, I just wondered how you guys faired with "lads time " out riding with having a new born in the house? I currently ride at least once a week, sometimes more.
I really don't want to lose the once a week ride and by all accounts Mrs Mofo is keen for me not to miss out on it either (she pretty good like that).

You guys got any advice or stories?

Johnny.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
still is, and the oldest is turning 8. I just tell the handbrake I'm going to the pub when I want a sneaky ride, only problem is I have to remember to act like a football player when I get home.

Oh, and congratmulalations to you and the Lady Mofo. Its hideously inconvienient, but its the best thing you'll ever do.

Edit: Hang on, she's due in August, and you only just got the news? Either you ride to much anyway, or the missus is a super human gestater.

Last edited:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Shit yeah!

I developed an unhealthy relationship with my indoor trainer that is still with me until today.

And my partner was very very understanding about riding time, I made sure I gave her some free time too.

Oh, and hi POSM, hope you're enjoying this thread too!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
still is, and the oldest is turning 8. I just tell the handbrake I'm going to the pub when I want a sneaky ride, only problem is I have to remember to act like a football player when I get home.

Oh, and congratmulalations to you and the Lady Mofo. Its hideously inconvienient, but its the best thing you'll ever do.

Edit: Hang on, she's due in August, and you only just got the news? Either you ride to much anyway, or the missus is a super human gestater.
It was heaven when she fitted in the Wee-ride.... Funny as I was wondering about the only finding out now too....

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Riding time diminished significantly for me. But you work around it. The first 1 year I basically did'nt ride more than once a fortnight, but I didnt find it a big deal, you will be damn tired anyway. 2nd year was much better, and the 3rd is almost back to normal - 1 spin during the week and a good solid ride very early on the weekend. Just have to time manage efficiently really.

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well folks,

News around my house is that Mrs Mofo is expecting our first Bub in early August.
Although I feel that I'm fully prepared to give up the majority of my non working time to spend quality time with the family, I just wondered how you guys faired with "lads time " out riding with having a new born in the house? I currently ride at least once a week, sometimes more.
I really don't want to lose the once a week ride and by all accounts Mrs Mofo is keen for me not to miss out on it either (she pretty good like that).

You guys got any advice or stories?

Johnny.
Riding? What is that again? :noidea:

But seriously though - Will be watching this thread for the answer... Congratulations and hope all goes well!

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its all about the compromise - make sure you give back the time you take.

Congrats btw. If you can bottle the feeling of a new born child your would have a drug more powerful and addictive to any other known to man - enjoy the time...

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Oh, I completely overlooked saying "Congratulations!", Johnny.

:party::llama:
Definitely congratulations!! Even if after reading most of these posts you're wondering if you'll ever ride again....

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Congratulations. Finding time is tough, one needs to prioritise, night rides and runs are working for me. ( but they always have ). I'm looking forward to building little bikes. No bikes in the kitchen/meals area is a downer.

scblack

Leucocholic
Congratulations!

You do lose time, but not all of the riding you want. You just have to work with wifey to sort times between each other, and compromise.

Things like all day adventures are probably disappeared. Except very occasionally.

But losing riding time is way way balanced out by hanging around the little ones. Best thing ever.

stirk

Burner
Well done mofo's!

What scblack said is true for me, I love an all day adventure in the bush, send them on frequent holidays to the in-laws. Have a riding routine and stick to it, any deviation justifies a tantrum.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
The one good thing about Mrs Knuckles is, she is a teacher, so tends to piss off for a week or two during semester breaks. I try to cram as much riding in as I can during this time. Between the hooker and coke parties, that is.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Thanks lads, we're both delighted with the news!
100% agree with making sure we both get time to do our own things. She's into yoga and Saturday mornings doing some shopping for herself, so hopefully after Bub arrives she's still keen and we can trade off.

ClintC

Likes Dirt
Congratulations. Our daughter is 15 months old and the flexibility to ride whenever I wanted is all but gone now. It's all about routine.

Have a riding routine and stick to it, any deviation justifies a tantrum.
It took me 9 months to figure this out. It's all about compromise. I just accepted the fact that I can never sleep in. I work 7am-4pm Mon - Fri and usually fairly tired after work and want to do things with my family on the weekends, so I suffer through 4:30am wake up's during the week to get 1 1/2 hour road rides in 2-3 times and the same on the weekend so i'm home at the latest 7:30am Sat and 9:30am Sun (Only MTB day).

You will figure out what suits your situation. My main piece of advise is to accept that the life you lead now will change dramatically. It's easier to embrace it as fighting it will not work. The other stuff will fall in line eventually.

Good Luck!

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Thanks lads, we're both delighted with the news!
100% agree with making sure we both get time to do our own things. She's into yoga and Saturday mornings doing some shopping for herself, so hopefully after Bub arrives she's still keen and we can trade off.
OH, and start finding decent bikes for your kids nice and early. Most kids bikes are shit. You will need a balance bike, then a 16" bmx, then a 20" MTB, then a 24" MTB, then an extra small 26er. Never training wheels. Ever.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
OH, and start finding decent bikes for your kids nice and early. Most kids bikes are shit. You will need a balance bike, then a 16" bmx, then a 20" MTB, then a 24" MTB, then an extra small 26er. Never training wheels. Ever.
You forgot the 12" crusier.

Stockpile parts, kids are murder on bikes.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I plan on making good use of the trading section. already pondering a design for a wooden framed balance bike