Bike Geometry

Niko_D

Cannon Fodder
Hi everyone,

My father is currently looking for a new bike since he needs a new one. He broke his shoulder and is finding riding a bike that you have to lean down in more of a race position hurts it. He tried a trance and found it was perfect so just wondering is there any alternatives to the trance that is cheaper and has the same sort of geometry.

Thanks Nik

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
has he considered a few parts changes? Bars with a bit of rise? A bit of rise in he stem? Some spacers under the stem? Slightly taller forks?

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I know it's not the best looking solution, but you can buy one of those stems that are adjustable.....one I got for my Husband (shoulder injury also) was actually quite light as well (not a boat anchor) he has it angled up a fair bit so looks funny to me but at least he likes it. He wanted the bars higher mainly so as not to have to lean down.
I would have looked at a shorter stem with a higher rise bar etc.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Giant Stance
Not even a close comparison to the trance. Trance runs maestro suspension. Stance uses gimmicky (read: cheap) flexpoint where they rely (?) on flex of chainstay.

But seriously to OP. Giant is one of the best bang for buck brands out there. It's going ot be hard. Probably easier if you specify a budget. Nothing like buying yourself a new bike, but the next best thing is helping someone do it.

dhd

Downhill Direct
Polygon Siskiu, I think they are about $1100 and have similar geo. From reviews I've read they aren't a bad jigger for the $$

Ivan

Eats Squid
Not even a close comparison to the trance. Trance runs maestro suspension. Stance uses gimmicky (read: cheap) flexpoint where they rely (?) on flex of chainstay.

But seriously to OP. Giant is one of the best bang for buck brands out there. It's going ot be hard. Probably easier if you specify a budget. Nothing like buying yourself a new bike, but the next best thing is helping someone do it.

The geometries are very similar, but the Stance is cheaper, which is exactly what the OP asked for.

mitchy_

Llama calmer

Do you actually read most things you reply too? They all seem like poorly aimed rants.

The stance is similar geometry to the trance, it just uses a single pivot suspension design and cheaper components. Not a flexing chainstay.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Do you actually read most things you reply too? They all seem like poorly aimed rants.

The stance is similar geometry to the trance, it just uses a single pivot suspension design and cheaper components. Not a flexing chainstay.
Didn't realise I had a following :). But on topic, are you serious? Look at the deisgn - it has to flex. I can't remember if it is chainstay or seat stay, but one of them has to for it to move.

On geometry, yeah, I agree it is similar. OP clearly stated that his dad liked the trance and asked for something with similar geometry. I don't know about you but I would call the suspension design a pretty critical part of the overall way a bike 'feels' - even if you don't want to call it a geometry change.

If you think this is a rant that's fine, but I'd be pretty disappointed if I rode a trance, liked it and then bought a stance which rides different.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was experiencing shoulder pain on my road bike. The thing that fixed it wasn't a higher riding position but a shorter reach. Try a shorter stem and see if that helps.