Cheapest way to become a full time "student"

Shredden

Knows his goats
So I'm looking at an apartment in the Melbourne CDB or Sth Yarra/Prahran area. On domain, the cheapest apartments are all listed as "student" only - these are usually $210 a week or so and I think would be fine for me to live in. For a non student, you're looking at $250 a week minimum for a much older apartment. As a student with a concession card I would be saving around $20 a week on my Myki fares too. Basically, being a student could save me $1000s per year.

The catch is that I'm working full time (and a second job on some weeknights) so Uni isnt an option.

Is there a cost-effective way to become a "student" in the eyes of the law? Enrol in womens studies from coober pedy online university? Any ideas?

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You could probably enrol in a couple of courses to take you to full time status, then defer that shit. I don't know how long you could do that though.

Another option would be some sort of piss easy arts course, theres a couple at UQ like time travel and witchcraft or some bullshit that only have 1 assignment as the whole course (or so I've heard). But if you did some real easy arts stuff part time it could work? Most of those subjects record their lectures and you just have to turn up to the pracs every once in a while. Ancient History was easy and quite enjoyable when I did one of their courses a while back.

Otherwise, no there's no way to really fake being a student.

Up here in Brisbane they even closed the loophole of updating your student card expiry date to years after you graduate, then getting cheap transport for however long you set the date.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Get a student friend to sign the lease. Bonus is, it won't go on you rental record when you can't get the goat shit stains out of the carpet.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can you enrol in courses and then quit before the census date? Does this date still exist?

Last edited:

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Can you enrol in courses and then quit before the census date? Does this date still exist?
Yep, normally 4 weeks into semester is the date before you get charged and it counts towards your academic record. I've done this for when I was working full-time and doing uni part-time. Enroll with a full-time load, get the full-time benefits, then drop 2 units before the date.

Not sure about completely dropping out of uni if they'll want you to surrender your student status. What you could do thou, is enroll full-time then drop-out and defer for the semester. That way, you'll still be enrolled in the course and would technically still be at uni. Rinse and repeat next semester. Most universities will only give you 12 months maximum in deferring your studies.

placebo

Likes Dirt
Shredden;2964803. said:
For a non student, you're looking at $250 a week minimum for a much older apartment. As a student with a concession card I would be saving around $20 a week on my Myki fares too. Basically, being a student could save me $1000s per year. The catch is that I'm working full time (and a second job on some weeknights) so Uni isnt an option.
You could fuck off and let a student who can't work a full time and casual job like you do, on top of a full time course load, get a shot at the rental options that make being a broke-ass student some what tolerable.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
You could fuck off and let a student who can't work a full time and casual job like you do, on top of a full time course load, get a shot at the rental options that make being a broke-ass student some what tolerable.
There is that.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
So I'm looking at an apartment in the Melbourne CDB or Sth Yarra/Prahran area. On domain, the cheapest apartments are all listed as "student" only - these are usually $210 a week or so and I think would be fine for me to live in. For a non student, you're looking at $250 a week minimum for a much older apartment. As a student with a concession card I would be saving around $20 a week on my Myki fares too. Basically, being a student could save me $1000s per year.

The catch is that I'm working full time (and a second job on some weeknights) so Uni isnt an option.

Is there a cost-effective way to become a "student" in the eyes of the law? Enrol in womens studies from coober pedy online university? Any ideas?
Weren't you the pious one wanting to report someone engaging in tax evasion a week or so ago?

Shredden

Knows his goats
Thats a choice that they have made. No-one is forced to go to university, and no-one is forced to live on their own in the city. I'm primarily concerned with my personal situation. (flame retardent clothing: equipped)

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Thats a choice that they have made. No-one is forced to go to university, and no-one is forced to live on their own in the city. I'm primarily concerned with my personal situation.
It is your choice not to go to university. No one is forcing you to work two shitty jobs, and no one is forcing you to live alone in the city as apposed to with a room mate in a squat.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Thats a choice that they have made. No-one is forced to go to university, and no-one is forced to live on their own in the city. I'm primarily concerned with my personal situation. (flame retardent clothing: equipped)
A child of the times. Your parents must be proud.

Last edited:

Trickymac

Likes Dirt
pay your way you stingy fucker, with an attitude like that there's no sympathy or help for your "dilemma"

placebo

Likes Dirt
No one is forcing you to be you. You choose to be you, and make the choices that lead to your personal situation. You're a fucking hipocrite though.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Pretty sure most student apartments these days have less space than the inside of Clive Palmer's speedos and are marketed primarily to international students who can handle living like sardines. Get your arse north of the river and into a scummy but fun share house. You might even find yourself a root.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
pay your way you stingy fucker, with an attitude like that there's no sympathy or help for your "dilemma"
Second this. My gf and I were both doing uni full-time and working shit-kicker jobs full time to pay our way - I recollect eating oats for dinner regularly, it was fucked. Subsidised student accommodation would have eased the burden significantly. So yep, pay your way and let the real struggler's get the student accommodation. We all need to do some heavy lifting :p

Last edited: