The Self Sufficient Bike Camping Thread.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
What's everyone using for a nice summer sleeping bag? Doing some trips this summer and riding in Asia next year so want something light and comfy.

Also needs to be available in a long size for my 6'5" frame.
Nat, where are you planning on riding this summer? We should do a few trips. I'm keen to try the HuRT before the heat hits.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nat, where are you planning on riding this summer? We should do a few trips. I'm keen to try the HuRT before the heat hits.
Nothing locked in yet man, was probably going to do a weekend around Wisemans. I'm pretty busy till the end of Uni though, so probably won't be able to do a big ride till early December. Keen for HuRT though.

I'll be doing the Newcastle overnighter in November. It's not a mtb or camping ride. But was lots of fun last year (despite non-stop rain).

SummitFever

Eats Squid
The Cloudride1000 goes through some amazing countryside but it just doesn't seem like a fun way to see it. As much as I love the mountains and big rides, the thought of racing through it by way of a 4-5 day sufferfest just doesn't seem appealing.

2015 Monaro Cloudride 1000

Summit, from my observations of your conversations on here you've got the bike, the gear, the legs, navigation skills course/terrain knowledge and you should be out there leading the way.

The rules of engagement have been revised and just relaunched on our website for the 2015 event ..... you, young man need to go straight to the Modus Operandi page

http://www.cloudride1000.com

Easter Saturday 4 April

scblack

Leucocholic
The Cloudride1000 goes through some amazing countryside but it just doesn't seem like a fun way to see it. As much as I love the mountains and big rides, the thought of racing through it by way of a 4-5 day sufferfest just doesn't seem appealing.
WHY then would people be doing the Tour De France, Crocodile Trophy, Giro D'Italia?

They are up to three WEEKS of sufferfest.

Just sayin. :behindsofa:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I gotta admit, it does sound quite appealing in a perverse masochistic fashion, but crossing all those streams without doing some fishing and passing all those summits without checking out the view would be hard.

I am, however, fully supportive of the concept and of anyone else wanting to do it. It is awesome that something like this exists.

Anyone planning to Cloudride1000 this year?
I was going to give it a go but will not get much time to put in long rides (3+ days) as I have a baby due in Feb. Probably going to do the Easter In The Alice stage race instead but it is definitely on my list for 2016. I would still love to give it a go but it would take me 10-12 days I would imagine.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Polite thread hijack..

Hi all,

Never ventured into this part of the forums, but after reading a few of the last pages, maybe I should more often.
Whilst it's technically not bike packing, we did an overnight ride in Victoria last week that some people might want to hear about..

Day 1 action was as follows;
V/Line train from Dandenong to Traralgon, Traralgon to Licola via Heyfield, Licola across to Jamieson.

Day 2;
Jamieson - Woods Point - Reefton - Warburton - Mt Evelyn

Just under 400km's and far from easy.
If you want to hear about it, or like suffering, I've got half way through the accompanying story over on our blog;
Feel free to ask any questions if you wish!

Day 1
http://commonaeros.com/2015/08/13/traralgon-jamieson-day-1/

Day 2
http://commonaeros.com/2015/08/13/jamieson-home-day-2/
Cheers

Brad

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Awesome Brad,

I've done lilydale, warby, reefton spur to woods point then down to kevington, then onto mansfeild. I also only road 100-120km a day :behindsofa:

I've never considered coming in from Gippsland, but certainly will next time. Got to be some serious climbs coming in that way.

Looks like from the pics, you guys travel really light?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is a reason I said it wasn't quite bikepacking! We stayed at Jamieson pub after a long and hot day 1.
Even though it wasn't exactly 5 star, my body would not have coped with a tent.
I took everything I thought I would require in a 3L Camelbak Mule, Bret had a larger Salomon backpack.

It's fair to say the Gippsland route in is quite hilly. We did 3000m of climbing in around 90K'ms, with the bulk of that coming in the 95-140km mark.

Day 2 was not a great day for me, I'm actually feeling anxious before I even write about it.

The Lilydale - Mansfield route would be good I imagine. The road is quite uneventful until after Woods Point when you hit the smaller mining towns (what's left of them)

Overall we were happy we did it, but we definitely underestimated how hard it would be.

Flyboy01

Likes Bikes
Tour Divide 2015

Hi all. Long time since I have posted in here (at least 20 pages) and I thought I might share some of the riding I have been doing in my prep for the Tour Divide this year.
I am time poor like most with too much time at work and chasing kids but have been doing what training I can. I am guessing that you can never truly do enough. I am just hoping to not implode in the first week!

Anyway, here are some links to some of my recent day rides and overnighters as I build up the endurance. I hope you find them interesting. Caad9, I will get to reading your blog when I have some free time but that looks awesome.

http://dave-livingthedream.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/the-power-to-shine-dynamo-powered.html

http://dave-livingthedream.blogspot.com.au/2015/03/s-24-o.html

http://dave-livingthedream.blogspot.com.au/2015/04/flyboy-epic-day-1.html

Igofastdh

Likes Bikes and Dirt

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The further we get from this ride, the more I think about how ridiculous it was.
We had absolutely no knowledge of the roads, other than the fact they went between where we wanted to go. The unknown factor is equally horrifying as it is exciting, but I figure it probably can't get much worse than the Licola-Jamieson stretch for future rides..

I've got a few ideas for spring/summer coming up. Maybe something in southern NSW or that region.
Thanks for reading everyone, glad you've enjoyed it!

I'm working my way through your trip as we speak Flyboy. Love the look of it!

Last edited: