XC Yeti ARC Carbon 9.16kg - Cracked another frame...

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Is it weird that I stalked your Strava?

This thing would have motored along Double D. Love it!

Are you from Canberra? Pretty impressive times if you're from Hobart and don't ride out here on a regular basis.
Ha not weird at all. Double Dissolution has to be one of the best tracks I've ridden, some of the braking ruts are getting pretty hectic on the lower half at the moment though on this bike.

I'm from Hobart but currently living in Canberra, so I can't claim I haven't ridden it before.

Stay tuned for my next video, a descent twice as long as this one....

k3n!f

There have been allegations on this very forum that some Yeti's are kept as show bikes and are too shiny to be ridden. I present to you my second GoPro video.

Thredbo Flow Track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS7r98Zdfh0

Two days, twenty runs, 120km of downhill, one complete set of brake pads, two brake bleeds (long story), one rear tire, zero crashes and much fun. By the end of the second day I couldn't straighten my fingers and my palms are still bruised nearly a week later.

Got some really odd looks from the DH crowd for my high seat post and arm warmers....

Great way to celebrate my Yeti's one year and 4000 km birthday!

climberman

Likes Dirt
There have been allegations on this very forum that some Yeti's are kept as show bikes and are too shiny to be ridden. I present to you my second GoPro video.

Thredbo Flow Track

Two days, twenty runs, 120km of downhill, one complete set of brake pads, two brake bleeds (long story), one rear tire, zero crashes and much fun. By the end of the second day I couldn't straighten my fingers and my palms are still bruised nearly a week later.

Got some really odd looks from the DH crowd for my high seat post and arm warmers....

Great vid, we saw you there on the Thursday - took the family and friends there for the day. Great fun. You are much quicker than we were!

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt

Thredbo Flow Track

I just came back from Thredbo over the weekend for the first time. My initial impressions during the induction was 'meh it's just a fire road'. Holy crap - I was hanging onto dear life going down that. It's such a loose track. Sounds like you killed it though. I could only muster 8 runs over two days, 2 OTBs on the Cannonball DH and sore fingers.

mr636

Likes Bikes and Dirt
haha, awesome videos and such a pretty bike!

Strange question; How strong do you think your average carbon hard-tail is?
I have an AM dual suspension bike that i love, but i also have a Carbon Giant XTC.
I quite often find myself getting a bit carried away in the XTC forgetting its a lightweight XC bike.

Your stromlo vid was a pretty good example.

Are these things likely to break?! You obviously have a fair amount of faith that it will stand up to it.

k3n!f

Strange question; How strong do you think your average carbon hard-tail is?
I have an AM dual suspension bike that i love, but i also have a Carbon Giant XTC.
I quite often find myself getting a bit carried away in the XTC forgetting its a lightweight XC bike.

Your stromlo vid was a pretty good example.

Are these things likely to break?! You obviously have a fair amount of faith that it will stand up to it.
Interesting question. The original frame cracking was a known manufacturing defect replaced under warranty, the new frame has no signs of failure. I don't really break much stuff because I'm only 67kg and try to stay smooth, that being said the bits that have cracked I've noticed before catastrophic failure (wash bikes kids!).

All bets are off if you crash though. With these light parts a side impact is usually not appreciated. However I'm constantly surprised about how much hard tails can take if you keep them upright. Just don't crash.

The next video in the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhQ5AV7dfDA

I was pretty happy with this run, ranked 121 out of 4599 on Strava.

k3n!f

Holy shitballs.

Spent Easter in Tassie and drove up to Hollybank for the day. Best. Descent. Ever.

Juggernaut track has 400m of altitude and took 18 mins from the top to the shuttle point. It rained all morning so it was like riding on peanut butter and slippery rocks. The track is amazing though. The video was my second run down so I made some silly mistakes. It has a much more sketchy/natural feel compared with the other bike park stuff I have ridden, which I really enjoyed.

This run is 35th on Strava, wish the rain held off though, I think it would be 2-3 minutes quicker in the dry. Sorry about the mud on the GoPro, it falls off further down the track.

Downhill bit starts at 1:11 ish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe2cv3dJpF8

kand

Likes Dirt
Thredbo Flow Track

Did you have to pull over alot to let the faster ( i'm assuming) folks on fully suspended bikes by?

Markee

Likes Dirt
Holy shitballs.

Spent Easter in Tassie and drove up to Hollybank for the day. Best. Descent. Ever.

Juggernaut track has 400m of altitude and took 18 mins from the top to the shuttle point. It rained all morning so it was like riding on peanut butter and slippery rocks. The track is amazing though. The video was my second run down so I made some silly mistakes. It has a much more sketchy/natural feel compared with the other bike park stuff I have ridden, which I really enjoyed.

This run is 35th on Strava, wish the rain held off though, I think it would be 2-3 minutes quicker in the dry. Sorry about the mud on the GoPro, it falls off further down the track.

Downhill bit starts at 1:11 ish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe2cv3dJpF8
Nice work on the Juggernaut. I did 4 runs on Easter Monday and it was still slick in the morning but by the third run it had dried up enough to give decent grip. Looks like two people have gone faster than you since though ;)
I noticed it was a lot more natural too after riding Blue Derby on the Saturday. Blue Derby was awesome, but the length of the gravity run on the Juggernaut does it for me hands down!
Sore hands and lower back from standing for so long. Can't wait to get down there and do it again.

Klips

Likes Dirt
Just watched the stromlo video, you've got some good lines going on there. Only thing that would get you a few seconds (and therefore put you up in the top 100, due to how competitive that segment is) would be to dial in the rock garden on Luge.

k3n!f

Did you have to pull over alot to let the faster ( i'm assuming) folks on fully suspended bikes by?
Both times I've been during the week so it hasn't been busy. I think a 5-6 inch travel bike would be the fasted bike down the Flow Track. The big DH bikes seem to have trouble accelerating out of the flatter corners, so to be honest I was frequently stuck behind people. Most of the "proper" DH riders are doing the DH track, so perhaps that observation is selection bias. It might be more of an issue on the weekends.

Nice work on the Juggernaut. I did 4 runs on Easter Monday and it was still slick in the morning but by the third run it had dried up enough to give decent grip. Looks like two people have gone faster than you since though ;)
We were there Easter Sunday and it was still pissing down until half way through that second run. I didn't mind riding the peanut butter because it was predictably slippery. It was those wet rocks at the top which were sketchy on Racing Ralph tires. I'm not surprised people were going faster once it dried up, my mate who has been before was 3 minutes slower on the wet track.

Your making me wanna fly down for another go!

Just watched the stromlo video, you've got some good lines going on there. Only thing that would get you a few seconds (and therefore put you up in the top 100, due to how competitive that segment is) would be to dial in the rock garden on Luge.
Ha you caught me! I get much better exit speed if I take the smoother chicken line on the hardtail. I don't normally ride the rock garden, but didn't wanna look like a pansy in the video!

k3n!f

Trouble in weight weenie paradise. Firstly my Notubes Crest rims are cracking at the spoke holes on the rear drive side. I suspect it's over tensioning rather than me being a hack because it's most of the spoke holes and I only weigh 67kg. Anyone else had issues with this?

Looks like I'll have to build up some new wheels.

IMG_31532.jpg

Secondly my Ashima rotors are toast! In the middle part of the brake track the "thin" parts have worn significantly faster than the rest of the rotor. The photo shows them sitting on a flat surface, you can see and feel how much they have been worn. The rotors start at 1.75mm, these ones now measure 1.29mm at the outside part of the brake track. I can't measure it but I suspect the thin parts are <1mm.

IMG_3154.jpg

I can now see how this happened:

http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/11251754/

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking at your video, your going too hard on this bike man. Your riding in that video is great, but your exceeding the capabilities of the bikes design purpose. Which is clearly evident with all the parts your breaking. Might be worth looking at a bike that better suits your riding style. - my 2c.