Predicament; Bell Super 2R

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

Just want some opinions in regards to whether I should get a Bell Super 2R or not.

My situation is that at the moment I have a XC/Roadie style helmet and a FF from when I was riding my DH rig.

I usually ride at Lysterfield and while the XC/Roadie doesn't give me the confidence that I am protected enough, the FF is WAY overkill. Plus it gets a bit warm pedalling up hills.

The solution to my problem looks to be the Bell. One helmet that does the job of both helmets I have how, and allows me to ride with goggles (During the colder wetter months in particular) open face too.

I also want one because it's new, and shiny and the chin thing makes it a bit snazzy.

Then the OTHER side of me things that getting the Bell is overkill, and I can't see a situation where I would be taking the chin piece off and on, and I just want one because I like the idea of it.

This side of me things I should just keep my current FF and get a normal enduro helmet at half the price for 95% of my riding, which will give me the extra protection I am after as well as allowing me to ride with goggles.

I know there isn't a right or wrong answer here, so really just looking for arseholes (read opinions) and experiences.

Other considerations for me are that I am 30 in 2 weeks, I have a mortgage and a client facing job so facial related injuries are an 'inconvenience'. Thus why I usually go a bit on the side of 'overkill' when it comes to protection.

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
There's nothing at Lysty that really needs a FF but having said that, sometimes shit happens.

A Bell Super is half the price and offers all you need. In the end, you have to decide whether you want the greater facial protection of the 2R.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
If it makes you feel good then go the 2R. It is your money after all.

I ride XC with an enduro helmet but I'm mid 40's faceless bureaucrat with a beard and no mortgage...so what I do to my face doesn't matter much these days.

A-Newbie

Likes Bikes
The normal bell super is heaps comfy, could wear it all day.
If i had the money for the 2 (and it was out then) i wouldve gotten it.
Most of the time i wouldnt use the guard, but certain places riding are more hectic than others or testing out new hits etc would definitly be nice to just clip it on.
On the vids they strap it to the camelbak for the climbs, good idea i you use one i guess?

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Could always consider a MET Parachute, which isn't detachable, but looks to have great airflow.

Actually considering one myself.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Interesting.

The parachute is about same on price but complies with ASTM. Downside being it's FF full time.

Hmm... Curve ball.

Markee

Likes Dirt
I bought one after I already had a Super because we needed a full face for the Alpine Gravity Buller round.
I used it two weeks prior on the Epic trail and had the chin piece in my pack until we got to the descent. We stopped I clipped it in, put on my goggles and we were off.
The piece of mind you get for the extra protection is worth it in my opinion. I didn't notice it at all, it was cool all day long with good ventilation, fits my head nicely and doesn't weigh heaps like a FF.
If you can afford it buy one. They are very functional and serve their purpose well.

ekwok

Likes Bikes
Tossing up between the parachute and 2R myself. Has anyone ridden with the parachute all day that can comment on air flow. It will be my only helmet so it will be used for everything from XC rides at lysterfield to something more serious at the you yangs, maybe even some lift days down the track at buller :).

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get it. It's cheaper than dental reconstruction. Just never wear goggles with an open face helmet, nothing screams Enduro try-hard louder.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Get it. It's cheaper than dental reconstruction. Just never wear goggles with an open face helmet, nothing screams Enduro try-hard louder.
Haha. Lucky for me I don't care too much about what others think. :p

I prefer goggles all the time as I have fairly sensitive eyes and even with tight hugging glasses my eyes get watery due to the wind.

And yes, I am a princess and should harden up, but don't wanna.

I got the 2r and looooove it. I'm 40 and only got into mtb the last couple of years but like to push it. Generally I'll ride with the chin strapped to my pack and chuck it on to try stupid stuff. The extra feeling of security is priceless in my opinion.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
So I've decided I am definitely getting out... but.... Australian stockists are only expecting more stock mid-end of July!!! :(

Boom King

The Super 2R and Parachute both have so much more ventilation than a regular FF, riding with the chin piece won't be an issue.

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
I really wish I waited for the bell to be available to try on first, but honestly I have no complaints with my parachute has great airflow, fits similar to an open face with the adjustable back of hear piece, & with my riding prowess gives me some confidence when I fall over next I have less face to try cover.

Longest rides I've had with it on have been a couple of hours, not much climbing though & had to take it off a couple of time. That said though I'm not the fittest guy around & just getting back into riding more.

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
Urgh! So mtb direct are taking pre-orders for the next shipment of 2R's. Which are due in late September!

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch a long wait.

Boom King

Urgh! So mtb direct are taking pre-orders for the next shipment of 2R's. Which are due in late September!

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch a long wait.
Bugger me, that's fricken useless from an importer perspective.