Burnouts - what's the appeal...?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Despite being a card carrying petrol head for 30 years, I just fail to understand the burnout phenomena.

Lying in bed again listening to some fuck knuckle go round in circles destroying tyres, I find myself wondering about the psychology - beyond the obvious conclusion they're pea brained dickless wonders with too much time in their hands.

Any clues...?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Despite being a card carrying petrol head for 30 years, I just fail to understand the burnout phenomena.

Lying in bed again listening to some fuck knuckle go round in circles destroying tyres, I find myself wondering about the psychology - beyond the obvious conclusion they're pea brained dickless wonders with too much time in their hands.

Any clues...?
Have you ever owned a falcon or a commodore? That seems to have something to do with it but scientists still haven't made the link yet.

I reckon it's something to do if you're not a great driver and don't have something that can win a street race, show off some other way. That and it's some sort of smoke when you're out of winnie blue durries.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Apparently, according to all the burnout proponants I've come across, doing a burnout shows driving skill... shows how good a driver you are...

To me, a driver with skill can do a burnout, sure, but being able to do a burnout, does not equate to having driving skill.

Of course the most coolest thing you can possibly do is get one wheel spinning... in the wet... in a front wheel drive... awe inspiring.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
It's to give people that don't know them a chance to hate them as well.
This is now the official definition.

burnout (noun)

1.The act of making complete strangers want to murder you, slowly and painfully

2. The art of displaying mad skillz (used in the ironic only)

Beej1

I used to enjoy doing burnouts as a teenager, and into the early 20s, with my mates in our first cars. I would only ever do it in the yet-to-be-built-in suburbs of Gunghalin (I.e. away from houses, pedestrians etc), in ACT. We'd also practice our rally driving in the same areas. They call it drifting now apparently. When we saw lights approaching, we just drove off.

I can't really explain what I found fun about it now, 20yrs later. But I remember it being fun.

Now, I just want to beat the shit out of the folk who do it in my neighbourhood at all hours.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
I saw a push for an all hours skid pan once, same argument we use for tracks. Give us a dedicated spot and we won't build trails... Just silly

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Drifting and wanna be rally driver I get. I grew up way out in the country, so was once decent-ish at the reverse rally flick into a corner. Had one car in particular (a Renault Fuego - FWD, longitudal engine out the front like an audi, bit of a lead tipped arrow) that was brilliant at lift off oversteer on long fast gravel sweepers that could be balanced/pulled through the corner on the throttle. Fantastic chassis balance and throttle response on that thing - the French are like the Italians in that they really know how to set up a driver's car.

But burnouts elude me... Seems like a waste of good rubber, and makes me wince to think what its doing to the drivetrain... And doing it around houses, kids, dogs and people trying to bloody sleep is going to be hard to justify.

stirk

Burner
Perhaps it's simply the mating call of the testosteronus smallcockus, a subspecies of human which relies on the burning rubber fumes to get get high to make their partners attractive enough to procreate with.

didly86

Likes Dirt
I have built two very high performance cars for people , carried on in the industrial estates in the north of Melbourne for a bit in a couple of my old cars .

These days I leave it for the track days with a burnout pad to fry some tyres, I just find it fun and it gives you a good buzz launching off the trans brake and seeing how far you can push it before you hit a wall .
For sure there are some cocks around that only do it to show off and think there the worlds best steerer but if there wasting money on cars then there not getting hooked on drugs and robing me so I'll let them go, also motor racing is a very expensive sport and building a burnout car is fairly inexpensive so naturally it's going to attract younger or poorer people .

When I was living in Melbourne it gave us something todo at nights instead of watching TV or doing drugs I would say if it wasn't for the race cars I would be a very different person .

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Not sure if serious..? The stoners in the park are safer than people doing burn outs, to themselves and everyone else.

I stayed inside took drugs and watched tv for a fair chunk of my teens, didn't kill my mates losing control of a car.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Not sure if serious..? The stoners in the park are safer than people doing burn outs, to themselves and everyone else.
Burnouts don't kill people, people kill people.

Seriously though burnouts are pretty safe imo. It's all low speed. Drifting on the other hand.

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Apparently, according to all the burnout proponants I've come across, doing a burnout shows driving skill... shows how good a driver you are...

To me, a driver with skill can do a burnout, sure, but being able to do a burnout, does not equate to having driving skill.

Of course the most coolest thing you can possibly do is get one wheel spinning... in the wet... in a front wheel drive... awe inspiring.
Ayy, I got the wheels spinning in my auto 03 camry in the dry and they smoked up a tiny bit to.

One of these days my camry is gonna throw in the towel if I keep treating it like this.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Ayy, I got the wheels spinning in my auto 03 camry in the dry and they smoked up a tiny bit to.

One of these days my camry is gonna throw in the towel if I keep treating it like this.
Threw a rod in our Camry, that thing was thrashed and had no oil for a long time, but it would spin on take off easily. Only for about half a second but what a rush. 3 cylinders of raw power.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't have a car ATM but I have been working on keeping up with the Commodore crew

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Burnouts don't kill people, people kill people.

Seriously though burnouts are pretty safe imo. It's all low speed. Drifting on the other hand.
The draconian laws that enable the police to take your car off you for losing traction have been an oh so predictable fail. I seriously think there is more of it now than 10 years ago

didly86

Likes Dirt

I stayed inside took drugs and watched tv for a fair chunk of my teens, didn't kill my mates losing control of a car.
It's not the stoners in the park I worry about .

Any way just trying to give you some inside info on why or how some people might do this , also nearly my whole group of freinds and most people I no have done a few burnouts in there time and I don't no any one that's died or killed others from it , I even no the stereo typical yobbo burnout kings in there vn commodores .

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Have a quick Google of burn out accident, there a few...

Chuck this argument in the speeding thread, love to see how it goes in there. I'm sure there are more dangerous acts you can perform in a car but that doesn't defend this. It's still easy to go wrong. Give a kid a rwd v6 on his first day driving solo and he tries a burn out, doesn't know how to control it and there's a bad situation. Doesn't take much speed to run down a kid running across the street, going slow doesn't make much difference at all. Rather be a burn out than do one. Smoke smells a lot better.