The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
I am a staunch hater of the Howard years, but I can even find a few things from his reign of terror that were good. While he had a lot longer than Abbott to fluke getting something right, it is a complete struggle for me to find anything about Abbott's tenure that I think has been good.
That's a big contributing factor. Abbott is so desperate to establish a legacy like Howard's gun reforms, he's having a ping at everything and anything. Despite being a clueless knob with a self-serving cabinet interested in nothing else but their own arses.

If he wants to leave a lasting positive mark on Australian political history, he should just finish what Howard started, and put the National Party out of our misery.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's a big contributing factor. Abbott is so desperate to establish a legacy like Howard's gun reforms, he's having a ping at everything and anything. Despite being a clueless knob with a self-serving cabinet interested in nothing else but their own arses.

If he wants to leave a lasting positive mark on Australian political history, he should just finish what Howard started, and put the National Party out of our misery.
Gay marriage, free tertiary education, and an improvement on parental leave might be a good legacy.

DJninja

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It sure did in Syria...look at those guys with their smart phones!

For the record I read the transcript of the conversation between Abbott and Morison as Morison giving the pm a bit of hurry up man, this is serious shit...not as them having an island time joke. But I've not seen the footage of the incident and am sure the body language says it all.
Lets face it. Australians have it to good/are to laid back to ever have a successful revolution. I was thinking more along the lines of governance is done by everyone through the utilisation of technology. Its not inconceivable that our taxes could be distributed by ourselves. I mean maybe not the average Australian but the average Rotorburner.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Lets face it. Australians have it to good/are to laid back to ever have a successful revolution. I was thinking more along the lines of governance is done by everyone through the utilisation of technology. Its not inconceivable that our taxes could be distributed by ourselves. I mean maybe not the average Australian but the average Rotorburner.
We have am interesting history around revolution...both by force or by thought/Democratic process.
- rum rebellion
- eureka
- convict uprisings especially by the Irish
- politically motivated bushrangers

All generally ended with fairly violent oppressions in our more colonial times. The authority has often been very heavy handed.

Those clowns with the harbour bridge opening...or Lang himself as a fairly rebellious politician. These are rare efforts to change the system.

Then there is our ever so rare constitutional reforms...referendum. I think we are a very conservative bunch, more so than a lazy one.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
SNIP

Cut billions in international aid, including 70% cuts to Africa and around 50% to Siam.
You need to help yourself before you can help others...and besides the cynic in me suspects that the majority of that aid never actually benefits the very people it was supposed to help.

Lets remember that it is important to appropriate the blame to ministerial advisors etc as well. I don't think much of Tony Abbott as a leader but I think even less of the grubs who are beavering away in the shadows putting poor policy ideas into his head.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Lets remember that it is important to appropriate the blame to ministerial advisors etc as well. I don't think much of Tony Abbott as a leader but I think even less of the grubs who are beavering away in the shadows putting poor policy ideas into his head.

But we still get to blame Tony for all the Captains Calls right...???

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Sorry knuckles, not THAT kind of borders, I mean the "stop the boats" kind of borders. That election promise that pretty much every small l liberal said couldn't be done, and was just bullshit, and they were universally wrong ( certainly surprised me)
I believe that Labor had that in place before the LNP came in. Labor started sending everyone off-shore and the numbers dropped drastically in the final months of the LAbor leadership. The LNP were in place to take credit for it.

How do we know if the boats have stopped? Does turning them back mean stopping them?

The govt stopped reporting on anything, and doesn't allow the press to investigate.

Everything is now an "on water" matter.
I'm not going to argue for the information blackout , but are you seriously suggesting there is some sort of conspiracy going on?

Even the ALP now begrudgingly admit it's been successful in stopping the people smugglers. It was both good At stopping the influx and humanitarian as well ( there were a great number of drownings at sea under Gillard Rudd )

Look at the horrific deaths in Europe ATM - these are generally organised boats and trucks, with organised crime involvement who have no concern for the people at all - only money. The coalition killed off that racket by stopping demand - no one buys a product that is undeliverable.
The point is sound, if we are turning boats back, then the boats haven't stopped. We only find out about turnbacks via other means such as reporters going to Indonesia, the RI police talking about smugglers being paid to turn back, etc. The govt refuses to talk about "on the water matters", which then means the Australian voter cannot say either way whether the boats have actually stopped or not. This is not to criticise any particular policy, this is simply to analysis what is and is not happening.

Pharma, to your last point where you evidence Europe as a horror show that brings to light the scourge of people smugglers, you seem to have been selective of the information you use. Yes, there are horror stories of boats going under and babies on beaches. However, there are also stories of hundreds of thousands of people making it to safety and being allowed in to developed countries where they can be safe and look for work.

You also decide that people smugglers are heartless crims, however evidence says that there are also large networks of people in the transit regions that are helping for free due to moral and religious reasons.

Lastly, what is the option for parents, to stay in their homes and risk destruction, to stay in camps in Turkey, Jordan, Lebanon where they can't earn money, don't have proper shelter, can barely educate their children, have little to no access to healthcare and just hope for the best? Is that what you would decide for your family, after seeing hundreds of thousands making it to safety and a new life? Don't answer. You cannot know how you would act in their situation and I cannot say how you or I would act either because we have not had those extreme experiences.

However, what we can say is that it is very likely that many, many people will try desperate measures in desperate times. The evidence is on our TV's every night. As a planner this is what must be considered and views from high horses that run along lines of "should, shouldn't" etc., are pointless when creating a strategy to deal with such matters. All you can think can consider is can, cannot, likely, unlikely.

Again, I don't have an opinion about any of the policies of the Aust govt and neither do I pass judgement on those in Europe or the Mid East. I do, however think that one must consider the complexity of these issues and the many perspectives before having a firm position.

John U

MTB Precision
You need to help yourself before you can help others...and besides the cynic in me suspects that the majority of that aid never actually benefits the very people it was supposed to help.
You don't need to choose. You can do both. A lot of aid given by Australia actually benefits Australia in the long run.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
That's right. The vast majority of Australian foreign aid is determined through the prism of our national interests. We give in ways that both assists those that need it and gives benefit to Australia. Some basic examples are stabilising govts and peoples in areas that if there were to destabilise the effects would ripple outwards towards us. We assist those countries that may be in the position to assist Australia in the future, say diplomatically or by granting access to territory for one reason or another. We also look to develop economies and societies that we'd like to trade with in the future.

The vast majority of foreign aid buys something for the money rather than just being straight up charity. Simple charity shouldn't be forgotten but if we can help others whilst helping ourselves at the same time then that's a good thing.

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
"The Coalition’s original target was to bring at least 25 Mbps to all 13 million Australian premises by 2016. That target has now been quietly dropped and replaced with a target of more than 50 Mbps to 90 per cent of premises by 2020.At the end of July 2015, almost two years after the 2013 election, only 67 premises had been served by multi-technology-mix technologies. In the meantime … the roll-out of FTTP has continued, albeit at a lower rate than Labor originally intended."

LAME!

http://theconversation.com/the-nbn-why-its-slow-expensive-and-obsolete-47191

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
"The Coalition’s original target was to bring at least 25 Mbps to all 13 million Australian premises by 2016. That target has now been quietly dropped and replaced with a target of more than 50 Mbps to 90 per cent of premises by 2020.At the end of July 2015, almost two years after the 2013 election, only 67 premises had been served by multi-technology-mix technologies. In the meantime … the roll-out of FTTP has continued, albeit at a lower rate than Labor originally intended."

LAME!

http://theconversation.com/the-nbn-why-its-slow-expensive-and-obsolete-47191
The first response below caught my eye. Yes there are geographical differences between the 2, but not a lot if you are focusing on Au capital cities.

I think the way the guy should've approached the response, rather than quoting the top tier 1 GBps, is to point out that 100 MBps is the shittest cable connection you can get in SG. The Au Govt is not even aiming for that. Could do better.

Meanwhile, in Singapore, you can get a 1 Gb/s plan for $69.90 / month.

Yes, that’s right folks. While we are arguing about whether or not we will achieve 25 Mb/s at some time in the next few years, and whether or not that is any good, in Singapore they already have 40x that speed.

https://www.singtelshop.com/shop/fi...gDetails.jsf?gclid=CLmRxdrN5scCFZd5vQodWboNrA

And people wonder why we think that Abbott is an idiot.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I live (relatively) in the boonies (certainly, not part of Sydney proper) & I get 22Mbps on DSL. I'm pretty happy with 22Mbps...I can stream 720p, what more do I want?